So the problem is I took a quite a pre req classes at a CC before I transferred...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will Jun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the problem is I took half the pre req classes at a CC before I transferred... and so to make up for it, I took the rest of the prereq classes at 4 year institution and i did master's in stem cell , upper level bio classes. Would takes these classes create a problem applying to school ? I know some schools don't take CC at all so I didn't even look there.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a good working memory of ALL the schools and which schools don't take CC's (I THINK Tufts is one of them but someone pls chime in). You'll have to look at those individually. Some schools do take into account your upper divs, but the best option is to go to their website or call the schools.

I have like 30 semester units of CC's but they weren't ALL BCP prereqs.

So the problem is I took half the pre req classes at a CC before I transferred... and so to make up for it, I took the rest of the prereq classes at 4 year institution and i did master's in stem cell , upper level bio classes. Would takes these classes create a problem applying to school ? I know some schools don't take CC at all so I didn't even look there.
Tufts, BU, and Temple. They do not accept CC credits for prereqs

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think taking prereqs at a cc is fine as long as you perform well in your upper div classes after you transfer to a 4yr uni

I took nearly all my pre-reqs at CC and I didn't have any problems.

The main classes I took at a CC:
Biology 1&2
Chemistry 1&2
Organic Chem 1&2
Calc Based Physics 1&2&3
Calculus 1&2
English Comp. 1&2

Then transferred to a good university and scored a 25AA and 25TS on the DAT. Did well at the university level but CC GPA definitely only helped! Going to a university straight out of high school wasn't even financially possible for me and I think admission committees get that. Just for clarity i'm not a URM either..

Interview invites for 7/9 schools, attended 6 interviews and received
5 acceptances and 1 waitlist

You'll be fine.

I took nearly all my pre-reqs at CC and I didn't have any problems.

The main classes I took at a CC:
Biology 1&2
Chemistry 1&2
Organic Chem 1&2
Calc Based Physics 1&2&3
Calculus 1&2
English Comp. 1&2

Then transferred to a good university and scored a 25AA and 25TS on the DAT. Did well at the university level but CC GPA definitely only helped! Going to a university straight out of high school wasn't even financially possible for me and I think admission committees get that. Just for clarity i'm not a URM either..

Interview invites for 7/9 schools, attended 6 interviews and received
5 acceptances and 1 waitlist

You'll be fine.
But schools that does not accept prereqs from CC would require you to retake those courses at a four year university right? did any of schools u applied to did not accept prereqs from CC?

But schools that does not accept prereqs from CC would require you to retake those courses at a four year university right? did any of schools u applied to did not accept prereqs from CC?

Yeah, definitely don't apply to the three or so schools that don't accept any CC credits/pre-reqs. Fortunately, most of the top tier dental schools actually accept CC credits and having CC credits really isn't a hindrance when applying to dental schools. I think CC pre-reqs get a bad reputation when in reality they're a pretty ideal way to go... especially when done the traditional way of CC --> University --> DAT --> Applications.

If you avoid university level science classes all together then yeah, that can be a red flag... but nothing wrong with working your way from the bottom (CC) to the top (dental school).

I applied to 9 schools, the 6 higher tier schools were: Harvard, UCLA, Penn, UCSF, UoP, and USC

I didn't get interviews at Harvard (very few do) or UCSF but got accepted into UCLA, Penn, and USC. I turned down an interview for UoP. None of the schools I applied to seemed to have any issue with my CC credits... and I had a TON.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, definitely don't apply to the three or so schools that don't accept any CC credits/pre-reqs. Fortunately, most of the top tier dental schools actually accept CC credits and having CC credits really isn't a hindrance when applying to dental schools. I think CC pre-reqs get a bad reputation when in reality they're a pretty ideal way to go... especially when done the traditional way of CC --> University --> DAT --> Applications.

If you avoid university level science classes all together then yeah, that can be a red flag... but nothing wrong with working your way from the bottom (CC) to the top (dental school).

I applied to 9 schools, the 6 higher tier schools were: Harvard, UCLA, Penn, UCSF, UoP, and USC

I didn't get interviews at Harvard (very few do) or UCSF but got accepted into UCLA, Penn, and USC. I turned down an interview for UoP. None of the schools I applied to seemed to have any issue with my CC credits... and I had a TON.

Thanks for the reply. I do have quite a bit from CC but I took upper division science class from my stem cell grad degree at USC and some other pre req at USC so I think I should be fine like you said. Hopefully, I get in thanks!!