So What are my Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonicth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

So let's just get down to the nitty gritty, currently a junior with 1.5 years left of undergrad majoring in economics, and am currently a NJ resident going to college in NY:

Science GPA: 3.40
cGPA: 3.496

Have yet to take the MCAT (but hopefully shooting for around mid 30s?)

ECs: Study Abroad Resident Assistant (Fall Semester '11)
Member of Hall Council for Residence Hal (sophomore year)l - won hardest working member as well as being nominated for outstanding member from overall hall council program (the hall council for all residence halls),
Member of a couple of other clubs
Volunteering only around 50 or so, but will go up to hopefully around ~200 when i apply
No research or shadowing as of thus far, but I will be planning on shadowing over this summer and hopefully over the next coming year
Working at a work-study job for about a year and a half now as well, with this continuing on for the next 1.5 years (so all together when i apply it'll be 3 years)

Also a couple of quick questions:
1. Would a business statistics course (labeled just statistics on transcript with course number showing up as an econ course) count toward the sGPA? It was pretty much a regular stat course... with some business related stuff thrown in on the side

2. Would a honors principles of bio (so bio I and II) course (labeled as honors principles of bio) be looked at any differently then just a regular bio I and II course?

Thank you! :].

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody!

So let's just get down to the nitty gritty, currently a junior with 1.5 years left of undergrad majoring in economics, and am currently a NJ resident going to college in NY:

Member of Hall Council for Residence Hal (sophomore year)l - won hardest working member as well as being nominated for outstanding member from overall hall council program (the hall council for all residence halls),
Volunteering only around 50 or so, but will go up to hopefully around ~200 when i apply
No research or shadowing as of thus far, but I will be planning on shadowing over this summer and hopefully over the next coming year
Working at a work-study job for about a year and a half now as well, with this continuing on for the next 1.5 years (so all together when i apply it'll be 3 years)

1. Would a business statistics course (labeled just statistics on transcript with course number showing up as an econ course) count toward the sGPA? It was pretty much a regular stat course... with some business related stuff thrown in on the side

2. Would a honors principles of bio (so bio I and II) course (labeled as honors principles of bio) be looked at any differently then just a regular bio I and II course?

Without a MCAT score we can't really chance you but assuming you score > 30 and take care of certain ECs you should be fine. You will have to apply early also broadly and my MDapp discusses that in more details so please take a look as it is essential. Your lack of shadowing and limited clinical experience will most likely hurt your application the most. It's pretty much an unwritten rule to get clinical experience, medical schools don't want you walking into the career of medicine without much exposure as it may question your own commitment down the road. The average clinical experience from applicants is a year and half. However, if you devote yourself and put down more hours you could compensate for the year and half by a bit.

1) Statistics is a math class so according to AMCAS it should be a science GPA as long as your transcript just mentions statistics.

2) The perception of honors courses is subjective. Thus, different members of the admission committee will perceive it differently. The most important part is that you actually do well in the courses.

Get that GPA up into the 3.5-3.6 range and you should be much more competetive.

Hi everybody!

agree with the previous posts.

-improve GPA (science moreso, if possible-maybe some upper div bio electives?)

-get more shadowing in.

-volunteer service should be strong, imo. with you coming from a 'business background', i think it'll say more if you really demonstrate the "service" aspect well. I know econ isn't business, but far more closer than bio is. lol. I'd bump up your volunteer hrs if you can, esp if you don't have research under your belt.

If you did get mid 30 MCAT, I'd apply pretty broadly. I have similar stats as you but maybe a little more volunteer and clinical work, but managed to get a decent number of interviews, both high and mid/low tier (if you like to classify them). acceptances are still pending (go figure), but i think thats more indicative of my interview expertise than the sheer number game.