So, what are these name-brand, top-tier programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emayhem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an introduction I am a third year medical student at a DO school (cringe) and I have been aiming for pathology since I was about 16.

Now that I am nearly at my final destination, I wonder if anyone can help me clarify what these "top-tier" residency programs so oft spoken of are. I know that I am not a spectacular candidate (USMLE1 218) and I would like to know what programs I should avoid applying to and which ones are out of my league. Right now my interests are leaning toward Vermont, UMASS, Utah, and Dartmouth (as my dream location). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As a DO with an average step 1 score you probably won't knock any socks off, but you will have some opportunities. Tough to be more specific, but I'd certainly apply to all those places (plus at least 10 more, 15 total or so). Interview at 8-10 and you'll match somewhere.

As soon as you start selling yourself short, others will too. Realistically, yeah, Step I is very very important, but people with subspectacular scores can and do end up at fine programs and do well for themselves in the long run -- it's just harder to get a foot in the door (interview). As far as The List Of Top Tier/Name Brand Programs goes, there really isn't one -- I think there's a couple of old threads around here with some putative debated list(s) and I doubt the value of those has changed much.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply to any program that interests you and offers fellowships you would be considering. I think the money it costs is worth the chance at it, as you never know if something about your application might stand out to a certain program.

Last edited:
As an introduction I am a third year medical student at a DO school (cringe) and I have been aiming for pathology since I was about 16.

Now that I am nearly at my final destination, I wonder if anyone can help me clarify what these "top-tier" residency programs so oft spoken of are. I know that I am not a spectacular candidate (USMLE1 218) and I would like to know what programs I should avoid applying to and which ones are out of my league. Right now my interests are leaning toward Vermont, UMASS, Utah, and Dartmouth (as my dream location). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

when you are in the job market ( at least for pp) hiring partners really are not too concerned about where you did you residency. they want 1) board certification
2) excellent communication skills (english as a first language) and a winning personality. 3) post-trainee experience (that does not mean a fellowship where your hand is still held). It is very much a "catch-22". The 3 "A's" of pathology are affability, availability and ability---roughly in that order.

when you are in the job market ( at least for pp) hiring partners really are not too concerned about where you did you residency. they want 1) board certification
2) excellent communication skills (english as a first language) and a winning personality. 3) post-trainee experience (that does not mean a fellowship where your hand is still held). It is very much a "catch-22". The 3 "A's" of pathology are affability, availability and ability---roughly in that order.

I would agree, except for the caveat that geography matters. If you did residency in California and you are trying to get a job in Tennessee groups will wonder 1) why, and 2) how likely is it that you will stay around long term. Also, groups do want you to have trained at a place where you see complex specimens, which doesn't necessarily have to be Mass Gen but you have to remember that PP is pretty complex and you essentially have to keep up with a lot about a lot.