So what are YOU doing before Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know what I've always wanted to do and am gonna try to do before med school? Skydiving. I've been looking around, and the skydiving services around here are 200-225$ for your first jump (With an instructor attached).

Pricey but its always been something I've thought sounded awesome.

I did this last year.....I definitely recommend doing it before med school.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

You know what I've always wanted to do and am gonna try to do before med school? Skydiving. I've been looking around, and the skydiving services around here are 200-225$ for your first jump (With an instructor attached).

Pricey but its always been something I've thought sounded awesome.

Where are you going for med school? I'll let them know there'll be a spot open. :D (Okay, that's harsh.)

But seriously, that sounds pretty awesome. If you do it, take some pics, dude! (If you can.) :thumbup:

Where are you going for med school? I'll let them know there'll be a spot open. :D (Okay, that's harsh.)

But seriously, that sounds pretty awesome. If you do it, take some pics, dude! (If you can.) :thumbup:

LOL...I was watching scrubs the other night when JD and Elliot bungee off the bridge. The next night I saw a movie (I'll probably remember which one at about 4am in my sleep), also bungeeing off....the same bridge!!!

Anyone else see The Ruins last summer? The script seemed to flip back and forth between the main guy being accepted and post-Y1...Thats kinda how I feel planning an international vacation now!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waking up at 3am monday through friday and getting to work by 4:15am so I can open up the gym at 5am!

I am finishing my bachelor's degree. I'm walking in May but have to take 2 six-week summer courses that end the same week as my medical school orientation starts (end of June), and the week of my birthday! It will be busy...

Wish I had time to do some traveling or relaxing, but it's non-stop school for me :(

I just got back from a trip from Cancun...it was a blast. I plan on doing nothing until I go to school lol

learn to scuba dive, go on vacation to the florida keys, dive with sharks.

learn to scuba dive, go on vacation to the florida keys, dive with sharks.

Is that something you've always wanted to do before med school?

This thread has shown me that pre-meds are apparently daredevils.

work hard/party hard

I try to live by this, it keeps me from getting wound up too tight :D

work hard/party hard

I try to live by this, it keeps me from getting wound up too tight :D

I am very amused by the fact that NYCOM has this on their website:

"The rhythm of the student life in the first two years of NYCOM revolves around classes and tests. There are classes everyday from 9 am to 2 pm or so; usually every five weeks there is an exam week to prepare for. And usually a post-exam Friday night party to attend following that."

And this:

"The NYCOM webboard is usually where the students look for others to share everything from class notes to salsa lessons, bike rides and paintball fights. So, at NYCOM the students are very busy - but never too busy to participate in a blood donation drive, a long run around Long Island to raise money for Parkinson's disease research or to party hearty at the Osteoblast."

:horns:

yea totally. cause when am i going to have the time to swim with sharks during med school or residency? and by the time all thats over I will have forgotten about it or chicken'ed out.

daredevils....yes. already been skydiving and cliff jumping along with a handful of other similar activities. but i've always been like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very amused by the fact that NYCOM has this on their website:

"The rhythm of the student life in the first two years of NYCOM revolves around classes and tests. There are classes everyday from 9 am to 2 pm or so; usually every five weeks there is an exam week to prepare for. And usually a post-exam Friday night party to attend following that."

And this:

"The NYCOM webboard is usually where the students look for others to share everything from class notes to salsa lessons, bike rides and paintball fights. So, at NYCOM the students are very busy - but never too busy to participate in a blood donation drive, a long run around Long Island to raise money for Parkinson's disease research or to party hearty at the Osteoblast."

:horns:

haha! love it! NYCOM just gained some serious points in my book.

I remember one of the deans at western was joking around about the "extra curricular activities" after the MS-1's most recent anatomy exam while we were waiting to be interviewed. That was pretty comical.

work hard/party hard

I'm not into parties too much, but I got the overly ambitious/working/relaxing part down....

I was pouring concrete right after my biochem final and a few days before my lecom interview...I had to rush because of the impending winter season. A t-square fell and clipped my face (frontal process of my maxilla) and I got a nice blackeye and 2 mm lac from it. Not only did I have to master interviewing techniques, but also learn the art of applying makeup :laugh:

I am going to France/europe for the month of may...

I have been working as an organic chemist at a start up energy research company for the past 2.5 years in a transition from undergrad to med school. I have also been taking bio classes at night. I am still working but have now til August to relax/have fun before I become a grown up. Things I plan on doing is traveling, enjoying having money with limited responsibilities and just try to soak up everything I can. I plan on doing a triathalon, a 10K road race, and a long distance bike this summer. As well as making a trip across the pond to Europe (Spain or France or Ireland). So much to do, but I can't WAIT to start school, so exciting !!

My friends and i are going to costa rica for spring braek and also planning on skydiving after finals... or after graduation. out in long island (by riverhead) its around 100... something... nervous about it but definitely want to do it. and i want to travel. maybe i'll go to china, see the motherland lol. oh, and definitely watching as much tv and movies as i can (my one true love)

My friends and i are going to costa rica for spring braek and also planning on skydiving after finals... or after graduation. out in long island (by riverhead) its around 100... something... nervous about it but definitely want to do it. and i want to travel. maybe i'll go to china, see the motherland lol. oh, and definitely watching as much tv and movies as i can (my one true love)

Where did you find the skydiving on LI for 100$? All the places I looked for were 200+

Moving home....doing some carpentry work over the summer, and CHILLING OUT. Lots of fishing, lots of golf.

I need to finish up my degree, but after that I want to go to Florida and see the everglades and Key West. I may also go to Niagara Falls and Canada. Other than that I will try to spend time with my family as much as possible.

I am going to:

- take a distance-ed class
- work like crazy
- go on vacation to Florida
- watch lots of television/movies
- relax
- sleep in every day :)
- get increasingly excited/nervous about starting medical school

Every single one of you should begin reading and outlining Big Robbins immediately.

Then, I'm going to Boot Camp Lite aka OIS this summer...
<----Future Navy physician!

Hopefully I will here during this summer. I have done the paperwork, MEPS, and turned in my letters/transcripts/LOR. I am just waiting on my case to go to the Surgeon General's Office for asthma I had when I was a kid that I don't have anymore. Other than this, I will be playing lots of hockey and golf, spending time with my family since I am moving 16 hours from them, visiting friends in Nebraska, and not stepping one foot onto a university campus until med school starts at the end of July.

Working and having a baby with my wife.

I'll be enjoying my last months of time with my family in the Midwest...I'm headed to SOMA, so lots of change in climate!!

I'm probably going to ride RAGBRAI, a week-long bike ride across Iowa. And go on lots of trips to see family and friends.

Last summer I went on a month-long roadtrip with my best friend after I graduated from undergrad, so that was my big trip. We camped/hiked in all the National Parks in the west. It was AWESOME!!!!

I'll be enjoying my last months of time with my family in the Midwest...I'm headed to SOMA, so lots of change in climate!!

I'm probably going to ride RAGBRAI, a week-long bike ride across Iowa. And go on lots of trips to see family and friends.

Last summer I went on a month-long roadtrip with my best friend after I graduated from undergrad, so that was my big trip. We camped/hiked in all the National Parks in the west. It was AWESOME!!!!

Whoa, a month-long road trip?! I'm envious. :D

working as a massage therapist in south beach. and only having to work 15 hrs/wk to make a good living. the rest of the time i am enjoying the sun, reading, and going to dance class...

it is really nice to take a year off, i highly recommend it.

working as a massage therapist in south beach. and only having to work 15 hrs/wk to make a good living. the rest of the time i am enjoying the sun, reading, and going to dance class...

it is really nice to take a year off, i highly recommend it.

Wow..this sounds like the best plan out of them all!

Simplifying and organizing my life, paperwork, and bills. Fixing/finishing projects around the property...lots of other stuff, too, but definitely needed to make life for my wife a little easier when I'm away/busy/stressed

Simplifying and organizing my life, paperwork, and bills. Fixing/finishing projects around the property...lots of other stuff, too, but definitely needed to make life for my wife a little easier when I'm away/busy/stressed

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. I wish the best to you and your wife this coming fall. :thumbup:

Currently I'm in my last semester of undergrad, and I can't WAIT to leave (although I'm sure that opinion will change once I actually start med school :laugh:). I'm taking these non-science classes that I need to graduate (native american lit and european peoples and culture) and as much as I try, I cannot get interested one little bit; it's torture! I also can't wait to stop writing english papers...

Yep, med school sounds like it'll be fun. :D

Working a biology teacher in an urban school. Also, becoming a wine connoisseur for world market. 1 is rewarding, the other is fun.

-finishing up some extra undergrad classes, i graduated in May of 08
-working full time this summer running the city's recreational youth baseball/softball program
-slow pitch softball with a cold beverage in hand every friday night
-golfing every weekend
-taking a few trips of tubing (floating w/ groups of 20+ inner tubes and cooler tubes tied together) and tanking (floating w/ a cooler, lawn chairs and friends in an empty cow tank) down local nebraska rivers with more said cold beverages
-spending as much time as possible w/ family and friends before I immerse myself in a textbook

hello everyone new to the threads. well I guess I will continue to work as a pharm tech and finally get to travel around the country since its been study study for me. you guys all sound like your ready for a fun time, I hope I get to do something big like sky diving. :)