So what are your summer plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vincikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are your summer plans, what major years are you in??? :]

Members don't see this ad.

doing research at st. jude children's research hospital

I'm in my third year now. My plans for the summer: relax....for the three weeks I have off. I wish I could take off for work too, but no one ever wants to work my shift on the weekends. I need a vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be in India! yay! Anyone here know much about Dehradun? If so, penny for your thoughts? :)

graduated saturday, moved out of my apt, am now back in my old room, shadowing docs for the next 3days, filling out amcas/tdmas, unpacking stuff so i can repack it b/c i'm leaving in a few wks to germany (for world cup & hang out w/ family that didn't make graduation) then iran for a bit for a wedding & "touristy" stuff :D
then my last "summer" ends & i start working & more clinical work

I'm going to Biloxi on monday, working there for about a week and stopping in key west on my way home (ok, so it isn't really ON the way, but close enough) to do some diving. After that, I'll be back here, doing biochem research for one of my profs (he's paying me at least something, so yeah..), working as a site leader for habitat for humanity, and doing a few other random things. I guess I'm taking two online courses, as well, but I'm not sure online courses count as a huge requirement on time.

Other than that, I'll be taking the MCAT and GRE, so I'll do a bit of studying for those sometime in there, then eventually taking the tests. I'm going to try to go to Italy leaving the night of the MCAT and coming back two weeks later for classes, but I've gotta see what I can scrape together for money.

Slacking off and generally trying to build up my sanity because this fall (28 credit hrs because of my hellbent desire to get the hell out of here) is going to suck. If anything altruistic or otherwise noteworthy happens during the next couple of months, then I will have failed miserably at achieving my goal. :smuggrin:

Sophomore, mortuary science major at this point.

I inadvertently set up the pre med trifecta : service, research, clinicals , didn't even think about it until one of my freinds pointed it out

-Protein structure research
-Volunteering at UWMC
-Hopefully shadowing a doc

Action.

(make-up for lack of action when med school starts this fall)
Let's call it..."research" :D

austinap said:
I
Other than that, I'll be taking the MCAT and GRE, so I'll do a bit of studying for those sometime in there, then eventually taking the tests. I'm going to try to go to Italy leaving the night of the MCAT and coming back two weeks later for classes, but I've gotta see what I can scrape together for money.

oh crap! i gotta take the august mcat :eek: -thx for reminding me, now i gotta figure how i can study w/ my crazy family around 24/7? :confused:
time to find a scale & figure out how much my mcat books weigh. DAMN YOU 50lb limit

jbone said:
Action.

(make-up for lack of action when med school starts this fall)
Let's call it..."research" :D
So you got that OB/GYN undergrad fellowship you applied for eh?

DropkickMurphy said:
So you got that OB/GYN undergrad fellowship you applied for eh?
:thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:
(you sick bastard)

nycpizza said:
I'll be in India! yay! Anyone here know much about Dehradun? If so, penny for your thoughts? :)

ah...doon..my family's hometown. i was just back for a few weeks last year.

once was the summer retreat for the british raj. if you look hard, you can still find a little of the charm that made the place such a paradise. but ever since the place became a state capital, its become extremely overcrowded. the infrastructure just cannot keep pace with the population growth, and it really sad in a lot of ways.

but its a great jumping off point for exploring the rest of uttranchal. get up into the himalaya foothills around town, just the drive up there is grand. rishikesh and mussoorie are the over-touristed spots you all hear about, but if you take a couple more days and get deeper into the hills, you can find a lot of pristine places.

great stuff, i want to go back for a long time sometime...i envy you! what are you doing up there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduating!!!!

then I'll be moving to san fran with some friends and trying to get my foot in the door at UCSF doing research

(you sick bastard)

Yes, I am. Actually I am THE sick bastard. You have my ex to thank for that....Jen and her thing for Japanese rope bondage...... wait, I've said too much :smuggrin:

(NOTE: SARCASM AND HYPERBOLE)

biggoron42 said:
ah...doon..my family's hometown. i was just back for a few weeks last year.

once was the summer retreat for the british raj. if you look hard, you can still find a little of the charm that made the place such a paradise. but ever since the place became a state capital, its become extremely overcrowded. the infrastructure just cannot keep pace with the population growth, and it really sad in a lot of ways.

but its a great jumping off point for exploring the rest of uttranchal. get up into the himalaya foothills around town, just the drive up there is grand. rishikesh and mussoorie are the over-touristed spots you all hear about, but if you take a couple more days and get deeper into the hills, you can find a lot of pristine places.

great stuff, i want to go back for a long time sometime...i envy you! what are you doing up there?

Wow, thanks for the feedback! I'll be going there as a medical volunteer. I'm super excited. I did the same stuff last summer in Africa (best times of my life) and I'm very excited about India. I'll be in New Delhi, Than Gaon, Mussoorie, and Rishikesh. And other places, but those are the main spots. I'm getting a little nervous about going just b/c this is my application year and I don't want the trip to hinder the process. Oh well, at least I'll be of some help (hopefully) to citizens of India! :oops:

Last edited:
Going out to Denver next week to do research out there. Quite excited! :)

Zanoman said:
I will be studying abroad in the Dominican Republic, which brings me to my question. I want to submit my AMCAS before I leave for DR, which isn't until next month. I want to include this in my AMCAS but it won't allow me to enter a starting date later than today's date and enter a date later than today's date. Will I just have to wait until after my trip to submit it??

If you have internet access out there, you can submit it after you start studying abroad. Then just put the end date being "until present".

Actually, just thinking about it, all they ask for is the month, so as long as you submit it in the month that you are going to DR, you should be able to add it in there with whatever month as the start date.

I'll be slaving away this June and July in the four final classes I need to earn my M.S. in epidemiology. Then it's off to med school. Huzzah!

working in the OR at a hospital - surgery aide

amcas until mcat scores get in.

getting f-ed up also

I'm waiting for med school to start. I got a job as a Kaplan teacher for MCAT and I'll be working as at a large bookstore to supplement my income and to have something to do. I was a computer science major and worked as a programmer for two years but I dont' think I can find any programming to do for two months, and I figure my skills have atrophied a bit and would take some time to get back into it again. I'm lazy like that. :D

Quitting my job ASAP, then wakeboarding roadtrips/contests!

I'm a junior, but somehow still have 3 more years till grad. Damn pre-req's. I will be surfing, volunteering, shadowing, army crap, and trying to brush up on classes for next fall. Chemistry and calculus are going to suck the life out of me.

Last edited:
filling this damn amcrap application and some research

Applying +

Going to Germany for the World Cup and a research internship!!! :D

the12thmd said:
Applying +

I hate you :smuggrin:

brasil, all the waay

Zanoman said:
Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

Where in the DR? My mom lives there on the north coast, and we have beautiful little house on the beach about 20 km from Sosua (40 km from Puerto Plata)...we're prepping it for long-term rentals...need a place to live? ;)

vincikai said:

My mom's coming stateside from the DR, and I plan to travel with her to visit family in Ohio and Portland, OR. Also, going to my friends' wedding on a farm in NY mid-July.

After that...

I'm off to Nepal for a clinical intership for 4-6 weeks...yah! I'll work in a hospital in Kathmandu and take trekking trips on the side. Also, the program with Dorjhana includes setting up a 4-day medical camp to serve communities in the countryside my last week in the country...can't wait!!!

I'll get back just in time to start post-bacc at CSULA in the fall...

Last edited:
Igni Fera said:
I'm off to Nepal for a clinical intership for 4-6 weeks...yah! I'll work in a hospital in Kathmandu and take trekking trips on the side. Also, the program with Dorjhana includes setting up a 4-day medical camp to serve communities in the countryside my last week in the country...can't wait!!!

QUOTE]

Which programs are these?

Gee - so many of you have such exciting plans for the summer. I wish I had the chance to do some of this stuff lol.

As for me, I'll be taking 16 credits (tech writing, calc III, intro to pc apps, programming fundamentals, and intro to C programming platform) assuming I get financial aid starting on May 29th. And working my 3 jobs.

What a fun (not!) summer I have planned lol. I'll offset the work/school with plenty of partying, 4-wheeling, and some camping with my friends though.

Tutoring, taking some classes, doing some research, volunteering when I have the time. And most importantly, hanging out with my friends and writing some secondaries.

writing a journal article, hopefully volunteering at the local free clinic (if they'll have me), eating mexican food, taking modern dance classes, running, family and friends. and algonquin park, hopefully. otherwise, devotchka. i missed out on the whole 6 minutes during which radiohead tickets went on sale, but seeing devotchka perform in a small kalamazoo bar . . . makes up for it.

Doing my last coop tour with AMD and taking a summer class... and go jump off cliffs...

stiffany said:
Igni Fera said:

QUOTE]

Which programs are these?

The group I'm going through is called Dorjhana Foundation. More info at www.dorjhanafoundation.org. The guy who runs the website is in Nepal by now, so you may not hear back from them at this point.

wow i'm so jealous of those going to Europe this summer.

as for me I'll be:

finishing up my spring courses
studying for MCATs
working
volunteering
local trips/cottage
watching the world cup on TV, unfortunately

I'm not so much looking forward to this summer, but I am very much looking forward to next August. I get to go to Paris for a week, under the auspices of accompanying the doc I am working with to present my research at a conference, but that will only take a day of my trip. The rest of the week is mine. :thumbup: I'm taking my girlfriend along. :smuggrin: It'll be fun.

I don't graduate until the middle of June (damn quarter system!). But after I'm going to be a summer RA, finish AMCAS/start secondaries, and initiate a freelance writing career.

the12thmd said:
Applying +

please take me to trhe World Cup

GO ENGLAND!

my plans is to go to Hawaii if I can take time off from work

vincikai said:

hmmm...going to a summer camp, going to summer school, volunteering at a hospital, doing a research (so EXCITED!!!), and getting some beauty sleep before school starts ( ;) ). :cool:
i'll be a sophomore in the fall of 2006. :D