Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I was wondering if anyone could give me a summary of the daily/weekly life of an attending physician, in outpatient and inpatient settings.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
I asked someone this same question once and they told me, "Pretty much, they play golf all day." Is this true??

MedicationWorks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Volunteer at a hospital and see for yourself.

About the Ads

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
From my hospital volunteering, doctors get to work in the morning, see patients for half an hour or so continuously for the whole day. This is however an outpatient clinic, I was curious as to what an inpatient doctor's routines are.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
Pinkertinkle said:
From my hospital volunteering, doctors get to work in the morning, see patients for half an hour or so continuously for the whole day. This is however an outpatient clinic, I was curious as to what an inpatient doctor's routines are.
Wow, half an hour a patient - that's a lot!

ms. a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
(nicedream) said:
Wow, half an hour a patient - that's a lot!
Not really, when you consider all the charting that has to go into seeing a patient. They may talk to the patient for 10-15 minutes, then spend as much, if not more, time completing their chart. When I shadowed in a clinic, it sometimes took an hour to get through one patient (those were the particularly complicated ones, though).

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
what do they do in the inpatient setting? it depends on the specialty.

-in IM, they round all morning. then they sit on their asses and begin the mental mastication in "educational" conferences
-in surgery, they get in before sunrise, round, then operate all day. and they always use profanity, especially in the OR.
-pediatrics is like IM, except that there's more "goo goo ga ga" with the kids. and these people are so nice it makes you want to puke.

rgporter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2003
C-ville, VA
Visit site
Status
Pinkertinkle said:
I was wondering if anyone could give me a summary of the daily/weekly life of an attending physician, in outpatient and inpatient settings.
Let me get back to you in 7 to 10 years.

mosfet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UCLAstudent said:
They help people. ;)
what a cliche.......Couldn't you atleast make up something original?? :smuggrin:

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mosfet said:
what a cliche.......Couldn't you atleast make up something original?? :smuggrin:
Indeed. I was just making fun of all of the people who say that when an interviewer asks, "Why do you want to be a doctor?" :D

mosfet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UCLAstudent said:
Indeed. I was just making fun of all of the people who say that when an interviewer asks, "Why do you want to be a doctor?" :D
Oops.....Didn't get your sarcasm the first time around.

About the Ads