So what exactly is considered an EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KornKobs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking getting involved in school like sports or clubs. But what if I'm not interested in that? Ok, I'm in two clubs now, one of them I forced myself to do and I hate it. The other, doesn't require as much effort. But I don't want to do anything else at my school...so what if I did things outside of school like, idk, a bowling league or something? And a lot of volunteer work? Any suggestions? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Totally--ec's are not limited to school-sponsored activities. Do everything you like that you can fit in.

it's a curricular that's extra

Members don't see this ad :)
An EC is anything for which you are not getting credit or remuneration (i.e. $).

And I would think twice about putting bowling league on your AMCAS, unless you organized it for senior citizens, challenged people, etc. Or won the national championship (even then...).

OctoDoc said:
An EC is anything for which you are not getting credit or remuneration (i.e. $).

And I would think twice about putting bowling league on your AMCAS, unless you organized it for senior citizens, challenged people, etc. Or won the national championship (even then...).
I gotta disagree with you on the renumeration bit. Curricular refers to the formal course of study. EXTRA curricular refers to activities outside of this, so things that you do that you are compensated for ($) will likely still be considered EC and thus should be listed.

Flopotomist said:
I gotta disagree with you on the renumeration bit. Curricular refers to the formal course of study. EXTRA curricular refers to activities outside of this, so things that you do that you are compensated for ($) will likely still be considered EC and thus should be listed.

Anything for which I get paid I consider a job. But to each, his own.

OctoDoc said:
Anything for which I get paid I consider a job. But to each, his own.
I agree with you.. things you get paid for are jobs. This does not logically preclude these items from being listed as ECs. In fact, some of my jobs were the most important things that I listed on my app. Draw the Venn diagram on this and you will see what I am talking about (the small circle "jobs" falls mostly within the larger circle of "ec's" with only a slight overlap into the "non-ec" circle. Man, I love Venn diagrams.

Flopotomist said:
I agree with you.. things you get paid for are jobs. This does not logically preclude these items from being listed as ECs.

Never said that, but I guess I implied it. But on that note, are all jobs ECs? One could argue that yes, they are. Another could argue that only jobs that you would do for free or that provided discretionary money are ECs. Alternative Venn diagrams abound!

"curricular" has nothing to do with money. all jobs would apply unless it was some sort of for-credit internship dealy.

MiesVanDerMom said:
"curricular" has nothing to do with money. all jobs would apply unless it was some sort of for-credit internship dealy.

AMCAS makes the distinction. Work experience versus ECs.

OctoDoc said:

So.... Is SDN an EC??? :p

OK the only things that I really have going for me that I would consider EC would be the two clubs at school (but i'll soon be dropping one of them), I was a pharm tech, and now I work in a hospital, i don't know what else to do!!?? ok so i'm going to start getting a lot more volunteer work this summer, ugh I just want to stand out! I see a lot about lab work..can i volunteer in a lab? do people do that? can I get a few examples of types of ec's?

IAMS said:
So.... Is SDN an EC??? :p

Yes, but you'd have to be hurtin' pretty bad for ECs to put in on your AMCAS application!