So, what happens when the **** hits the fan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miabullitt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone here is obviously interested in pursuing a career in medicine, but I doubt 100% of SDN'ers make it in.

For those that are re-apps: is your optimism dimming? what happens if you don't get in with your re-app?

I'm just curious how those cope, and how you young pre-meds would take it.

For me, IDK what I would do outside of medicine. I'm getting a major at my university, yeah, but I honestly see it as a means to an end as I can't get into a MD program with out one. If the **** hit the fan for me I honestly don't know how I'd cope.

Members don't see this ad.

This.

jack_daniels_presid_preview.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Life is not all about fulfilling goals. Life is a balance between achieving & enjoying. If you fail to achieve, you learn, grow & try again. But if you fail to enjoy your achievements so far, you will never enjoy the achievements yet to come. That is why so many people feel empty after realizing their goals. Don't go into self-loathing for it will affect you negatively. If anything, use the failure to motivate and encourage you. Never lose your confidence.

I think aspiring for medicine is like aspiring to be president.. obviously not everyone can be the president, but people will still take interest if your resume has "presidential candidate" written on it. all those pre med classes you're taking are pretty valuable to real life whatever you end up doing.

But if you fail to enjoy your achievements so far, you will never enjoy the achievements yet to come. That is why so many people feel empty after realizing their goals.

WORD.

I think aspiring for medicine is like aspiring to be president.. obviously not everyone can be the president, but people will still take interest if your resume has "presidential candidate" written on it. all those pre med classes you're taking are pretty valuable to real life whatever you end up doing.
For one, it's a LOT easier to become a doctor than to become President, so I think that analogy could be improved. Second, I think most would agree that being pre-med has no value at all. It's like getting a hypothetical degree in "Pre-medical Studies," it's useless if you don't get into medical school afterward. There is no reason that the "pre med classes" most people take (assuming these are pre-req's and bio electives) would get anyone a job they would find comparative to practicing medicine.

I faced a similar problem with rejections. Things you can do: take a year off (get work experience), start a masters or phd program, study for and retake the mcat. Something you should not do: lose hope. If medical school is your goal and you could not see yourself doing anything else, then don't. Do what ever it takes to get in.

it's simple really. don't let the **** hit the fan. that way, the sh:t cant hit the fan.

Everyone here is obviously interested in pursuing a career in medicine, but I doubt 100% of SDN'ers make it in.

For those that are re-apps: is your optimism dimming? what happens if you don't get in with your re-app?

For me, IDK what I would do outside of medicine. I'm getting a major at my university, yeah, but I honestly see it as a means to an end as I can't get into a MD program with out one. If the **** hit the fan for me I honestly don't know how I'd cope.

Sh"t has hit the fan plenty of times for me... But my motivation and dedication never dwindled. Why? Well, because I know that every little thing that has happened to me has made me a better person. All of these uphill battles have made me stronger and more confident. I have a new appreciation for life and try to learn from every experience.

My favorite new quote right now is:

"Maybe the reason why all the doors are closed is so you can open one that leads you to the perfect road"

-Katy Perry :)

"Maybe the reason why all the doors are closed is so you can open one that leads you to the perfect road"

I was expecting someone more profound than...Katy Perry.

I would think that a good portion of SDNers get in since they are more knowledgeable than your average applicant.

Sh"t has hit the fan plenty of times for me... But my motivation and dedication never dwindled. Why? Well, because I know that every little thing that has happened to me has made me a better person. All of these uphill battles have made me stronger and more confident. I have a new appreciation for life and try to learn from every experience.

noshie, congrats on your acceptance! i hope it is one of many to come.

p.s. i love katy perry too!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not sure how far along you are with the whole process, but I always try to keep things in perspective. I find myself always worrying about a semester or two down the road and whether anything I'm doing now will be valuable from an application standpoint (and the inner rants go on and on)...
I keep telling myself that I'll cross that river when the time comes. So don't worry about what'll happen if you get rejected. There are many paths to becoming a doctor, and not all of them consist of going to an American Med school.
I'm still trying to figure out my own fears and emotions when it comes to getting rejected, not making it or simply not being cut out for med school. But the more I delve, the more I find it pointless to give into any of these fears. Hit the books, find a hobby and I'm sure you'll be fine. Mute the negative voice in your head

-Ginger Ale

Yeah I'm just playing, my argument wasn't portraying what i intended it to at all.

I was expecting someone more profound than...Katy Perry.

Ummm. Katy Perry is the voice of our generation... Duh. :laugh: Not really... Well, I'm older so my generation is definitely not spoken for by her...

noshie, congrats on your acceptance! i hope it is one of many to come.

p.s. i love katy perry too!

Thank you Georgearms! I hope you are right! :) Good luck on your journey as well.

Either the golden gate bridge, but I hate the sensation of falling. Probably a shot gun loaded with a slug.

Unplug the fan and quietly clean up the mess. Plot to invent a time machine to go back in time and kill inventor of said fan.

For me, IDK what I would do outside of medicine...If the **** hit the fan for me I honestly don't know how I'd cope.

Please refrain from saying this during your interviews and in front of any med students, admins, or physicians. It will make you sound like a broken record.

If you regard medical school as a secondary objective in your life, you'll end up with a much less stressful life. When I was in your shoes, I had had my life all planned out, and then med school got in the way and forced me to abandon my dreams.

Best of luck with the apps.

When Sh&t hits the fan, YOU look that fan directly in the eyes, and say "YOU MIGHT SMELL, BUT I WILL DEFEAT YOU and YOUR SH&tty SMELL next application cycle!!!!" then you do it again and again (that is if you want it bad enough).

I kept applying. I also continued on with my education. By the time I got in, I had completed my thesis-based masters program, as well as been published in several top tier journals. Was it a waste of time? No, any type of education will ultimately be good for you.

I had no interest in anything but medicine. After 4 cycles (I declined several DO acceptances in the 2nd round), I finally cracked the vault that was my state school, and I'm happier than most people in my class. As a MS2, I'm still excited about being here, and I don't resent the material like some of my fellow classmates.

The delay was ultimately a positive thing. I matured a ton between 22 and 26, and when I started I was ready to go. My focus defiantly translated into good grades, and I have no doubt that it will help my board scores.

When asked what I would do if I didn't get in (the last time), I replied... "Well, you'll be seeing me again in the Fall." After 5 years (4 cycles), no one can discredit your tenacity and drive, as long as you continued to work on your application and strengthen your weaknesses. For me, it was overcoming a poor undergraduate performance, and not something simple like a sub-par MCAT.

just read your profile, wow nice story, grats and gl.

side note, I had a TA in undergrad who was actually named Noshie, even kind of looked like your avatar.... but you've never been to UCSD right?

just read your profile, wow nice story, grats and gl.

side note, I had a TA in undergrad who was actually named Noshie, even kind of looked like your avatar.... but you've never been to UCSD right?

Thanks, good luck to you also! Nope, that's not me, I've lived in Texas forever... And my name is not Noshie, well, it's a long story about name changes etc... but my middle name is Nosha now, and that's where it comes from. My daddy calls me Noshie (pronounced New-she) as a pet name now.

Thanks, good luck to you also! Nope, that's not me, I've lived in Texas forever... And my name is not Noshie, well, it's a long story about name changes etc... but my middle name is Nosha now, and that's where it comes from. My daddy calls me Noshie (pronounced New-she) as a pet name now.

:eek:

You could always go Carribean...lol.

Grab my rifle and bug-out-bag, get in my truck and head to the hills till it all blows over!

Oh, you mean WL/Rejection? Ask the admissions people at said schools what were seen as weaknesses in my application, formulate a plan for improvement of my app, implement plan, re-apply, and try try and try again. FWIW, this is my 3rd time applying.

I would simply ask the schools where they felt my weaknesses were, and then try and improve those over the following year (and of course curse the idea of having to apply all over again).

Pre-med class schedule can open a lot doors into the health professions, not just becoming a medical doctor. By completing your pre-med classes you have the pre-reqs for optometry, dental, podiatry, nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, physician assistant, and the list continues.

Pre-med class schedule can open a lot doors into the health professions, not just becoming a medical doctor. By completing your pre-med classes you have the pre-reqs for optometry, dental, podiatry, nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, physician assistant, and the list continues.

And.....