So what kind of applicant receives signifiant merit scholarship at T1-30 schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proudofmykids

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious...So what kind of applicant receives signifiant merit scholarship at T1-30 schools?(completely non need based)

Applicants who have been offered admission to a T1-30 allopathic med school, we know have stats, and all the necessary varying type of hours, essays, and in person interviews meeting expectations for admissions to this caliber school.

Has anyone tried to characterize or read anything identifying the differences between those who’ve received significant merit scholarship vs those who did at these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Curious...So what kind of applicant receives signifiant merit scholarship at T1-30 schools?(completely non need based)

Applicants who have been offered admission to a T1-30 allopathic med school, we know have stats, and all the necessary varying type of hours, essays, and in person interviews meeting expectations for admissions to this caliber school.

Has anyone tried to characterize or read anything identifying the differences between those who’ve received significant merit scholarship vs those who did at these schools?

And also likely saved a village in Africa,

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but those who receive scholarships are even more competitive.
I would’ve thought that was the case, too, but I’ve been surprised by how unpredictable it can be. I guess it depends on how you define “competitive.” A friend of mine applied last cycle with a decent MCAT, great GPA, and pretty good but not great EC’s. He didn’t get accepted to Emory but got a full ride at UCLA. Another friend was good all-around but wasn’t an applicant that would make Walter salivate, yet he got significant aid at u penn, u Chicago, Vandy, and others. Both of these guys are very personable, so I think their interviews and letters of rec must have played a large role in earning them aid.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I’d be curious to hear @LizzyM @gonnif @Moko and others’ insight into the method behind this madness of a process. If you were able to weigh different factors, how much would you say that merit aid is awarded based on academic/extracurricular accomplishments vs personal attributes?

The personal experiences I’ve mentioned above make me feel like the latter are valued more, since at a certain point it’s hard to differentiate or compare applicants who all look great on paper.

I would’ve thought that was the case, too, but I’ve been surprised by how unpredictable it can be. I guess it depends on how you define “competitive.” A friend of mine applied last cycle with a decent MCAT, great GPA, and pretty good but not great EC’s. He didn’t get accepted to Emory but got a full ride at UCLA. Another friend was good all-around but wasn’t an applicant that would make Walter salivate, yet he got significant aid at u penn, u Chicago, Vandy, and others. Both of these guys are very personable, so I think their interviews and letters of rec must have played a large role in earning them aid.

In this example, was the person who received scholarship offers also URM or military?

Those attributes seem to count for a lot in this process.

Reactions: 1 user
In this example, was the person who received scholarship offers also URM or military?

Those attributes seem to count for a lot in this process.
Nope. The first one was an immigrant from the Middle East but not URM. The second was an Indian guy.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. The first one was an immigrant from the Middle East but not URM. The second was an Indian guy.

Hmm. Was one of them you? I know posters sometimes speak of themselves in the third person so as to avoid appearing boastful.

For my sake, hopefully significant upward trends and an excessive amount of leadership. Beyond that, got nothing going for me lol

I’d be curious to hear @LizzyM @gonnif @Moko and others’ insight into the method behind this madness of a process. If you were able to weigh different factors, how much would you say that merit aid is awarded based on academic/extracurricular accomplishments vs personal attributes? The personal experiences I’ve mentioned above make me feel like the latter are valued more, since at a certain point it’s hard to differentiate or compare applicants who all look great on paper.
This will vary between schools, depending on what type of applicants they want / still need to attract to a class. The more badly a school wants a particular applicant to matriculate there, the more likely significant merit scholarship money will be offered.* Every component of the application is taken into account (demographics, personal characteristics, accomplishments, interview, etc).

*Not all "T30" schools offer merit scholarship

Reactions: 5 users