So whats considered a safety?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I've been looking at med schools and talking (well really arguing with my pre-med advisor) over which schools to apply to. I don't feel comfortable with some of the schools my advisor suggested and I'm really looking for two or three real safeties. I'm applying to all the instate schools (FL resident) and I have a couple schools in the top thirty. But I'd love to know, what some good safety schools would be?
Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

americanangel said:
Hey guys
I've been looking at med schools and talking (well really arguing with my pre-med advisor) over which schools to apply to. I don't feel comfortable with some of the schools my advisor suggested and I'm really looking for two or three real safeties. I'm applying to all the instate schools (FL resident) and I have a couple schools in the top twenty. But I'd love to know, what some good safety schools would be?
Any ideas?
First of all, be prepared for people to say, "There's no such thing as a true safety school."

Second, get a copy of the MSAR and do some research. The term "safety" is normally used relative to the individual performance of a particular applicant. Find schools that have stats considerably lower than those of your own and apply, however make sure to only apply to schools that you would be truly interested in attending.

Popular schools that are known to be mid to lower tier:
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Morehouse
NYMC

But dont forget about el caribe :D

Members don't see this ad :)
That's exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks kevster2001

americanangel said:
That's exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks kevster2001

if you have stats good enough that you are applying to top 20 schools, you also have a good chance at getting rejected by these "safety" schools if it really looks like you are applying to them as a safety

C.P. Jones said:
if you have stats good enough that you are applying to top 20 schools, you also have a good chance at getting rejected by these "safety" schools if it really looks like you are applying to them as a safety

Good point. I don't believe I never considered that a possibility.

Often times we forget that some med schools are looking for either "well rounded" people, or student body as a whole, and some look for a specific type of person (who often doesn't have the highest numbers).

I concur the above. Rosalind Franklin is known to reject those that have *too high* of a GPA/MCAT. Safeties, if they exist, would be any school that has slightly lower average GPA/MCAT combo than your own stats. Check out MSAR for the details. Also, be cognizant of public schools hostile to OOSers....their stats may look low, but they may be high for nonresidents.

this might help. http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/2005school.htm

i would look for schools that have a large class size and accept alot of out of state students. From the looks of that chart, your in state(Florida) schools should treat you well. most are almost all instate students.

Thanks guys! You guys are more helpful then my pre-med advisor!

Labslave said:
First of all, be prepared for people to say, "There's no such thing as a true safety school."

Given that half the people who apply don't end up getting in, and given that even the schools with the lowest average stats tend to reject literally thousands of qualified applicants (based on those stats), I don't think this is a misstatement. You don't have to look too hard at this time of year to find folks on SDN who would be thrilled to get in at their supposed safety schools.

The above statement is what makes med school apps such a pain, and so random. It's one thing to have schools like WashU require astronomical numbers to get in, but if all med schools were like that, then at least the admissions game would be more predicatable and people with really relatively high stats would have 'safeties'. However, when you have qualified applicants rejected for no discernible reason....then the idea of safeties goes out the window.

NonTradMed said:
The above statement is what makes med school apps such a pain, and so random. It's one thing to have schools like WashU require astronomical numbers to get in, but if all med schools were like that, then at least the admissions game would be more predicatable and people with really relatively high stats would have 'safeties'. However, when you have qualified applicants rejected for no discernible reason....then the idea of safeties goes out the window.

Yeah I see what you guys are saying....The whole process seems like such a gamble...I'd love to stay in state anyway...and Florida schools are really nice to residents so hopefully I'll get in somewhere down here!

Good luck to all you guys! The randomness is just beginning

thats when you down your opponent in your goal. Its worth 2 points in the NFL. :)

bgtati said:
thats when you down your opponent in your goal. Its worth 2 points in the NFL. :)
Nice! :thumbup:

safety schools don't exist...they're a myth, like the Boogie Man or Michael Jackson

In the process of applying to medical schools, the only "safe" bet is sitting at home with your parents for the next four years :)!

It's so rough. Schools like Drexel and NYMC get thousands of applicants, although they have lower stats. The best safety school is probably your state school.