So, what's the deal with BioChem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abmuk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I will be a Biology major in the Fall.

I haven't taken BioChem yet and would like a heads-up as to how to prepare and what to expect.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

not much, just your standard memorization

Greetings,

I will be a Biology major in the Fall.

I haven't taken BioChem yet and would like a heads-up as to how to prepare and what to expect.

Thanks!

It's a heck of a lot like Molecular Biology. I dunno how well that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll probably cover topics like proteins in detail (the 20 amino acids, isoelectric point calculations, enzyme kinetics), the major metabolic cycles and their energetics, and possibly transcription, translation, and replication in detail.

Yeah, I received B's in the orgo's but A's in Biochem and molecular bio. So if you didn't do as well in orgo, there's still hope. Memorize all the enzyme's forward and reverse products as well as the inhibitors and activators when you get to subjects like glycolysis, oxidative phosphorylation, and electron transport. Also, critically think about trends of pka and pI values when you get into protein structure, and know all the amino acids structure. It also helps to know that the C-terminus is in the 2-3 pka range and N-terminus is in the 9 range and the trends in the side chains pka's. Also memorize all the steps in both krebs cycles. Everything else should be straight memorization. And don't fall asleep when it gets too unbearably boring :sleep:.

Wrong. I did okay in organic and great in biochem. n=1, statement = true.

I should have never bothered going to lecture. I had a horrible instructor, but there are plenty of excellent biochem textbooks that make it relatively straightforward to learn. Try to get old exams for the class so you can see what the instructor likes to focus on.

If you did ok in orgo you should do great in biochem.

Thanks for all this feedback. I actually did pretty good in Orgo so that is good to know.