So what's the general concensus on the date you should start panicking with no II?

sdhere1234

2+ Year Member
May 14, 2016
I've heard anything ranging from Thanksgiving - end of Dec with no II is a bad sign.

What's the general consensus?

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Thanksgiving (fourth Thursday in November): if you don't have an interview invite by Thanksgiving, start thinking about what you'll do if you need to reapply (this so-called turkey rule was substantiated by Lucca's SDN Survey of 2015 and LizzyM's June 2016 Survey)

Retrieved from Essential SDN Wisdom

Reactions: sdhere1234
Oct 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Based on my own experience and that of a few people I know (so, n = 5ish) it is very possible to get your first interview invitation after Thanksgiving or even the new year. Of course, that could be a weird anomaly or statistical bottleneck of some kind. If the experts say Thanksgiving, listen to them!

I don't think it's ever too early to start thinking about what you will do if you need to reapply. I lined up a job post-graduation pretty early on in my senior year and it made the process less stressful by eliminating a lot of the uncertainty. And by less stressful, I mean it went from a 10/10 to a 9/10...but hey, that's improvement!

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
First off you should never panic from a lack of an II. However, if you haven't heard anything by late November (thanksgiving is a good day because it sticks in your mind)
It's time to take a serious look at possible gap year plans and beefing up your application for the next year.

XxThaDoggxX

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
The DoggHouse
Status
Medical Student
This has been discussed literally atleast 5+ times last year alone.

The search function is not here for decoration alone.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Schools take thousands of applications, reduced to hundreds of II, reduced to a few hundred acceptances and WL, to a hundred of so matriculants. More than 80% of applicants at any individual school, get rejected without II

Since acceptance rates over all for the applicant pool across all schools is about 41%, all applicants should assume that rejection is quite possible. therefore they should spend their glide year in continuing prep, adding to their ECs, revisiting MCAT if need be, etc, all to enhance any possible reapplication.

PugsAndHugs

5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Assuming you were complete at all schools before September:

No II by Thanksgiving: Start re-evaluating your application, figure out what the weaknesses of your application and how can you improve these. I would not worry just yet.

No II after first week of January: Start worrying.

-Many II came out first week of January after the holidays.
-I say before September because a later application completion CAN lead to a later application review.