So when does the suck start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bassfishindoc

Chief Mugwump
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so med school starts for me in 19 days. I am at that point where I am sure all of you have been, extremely excited to be starting something new. Sow how long into med school does the excitement and newness wear out and the overwhelming kick in the crotch that is medical school kick in? A day, week, month? Just wondering so I can get prepared now.

Members don't see this ad.

After a few weeks, esp. right before exams.

The excitement of starting something new ends pretty quick, usually by the end of the first week. The kick in the crotch doesn't come until 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw the medical equipment list for buying stuff at the beginning of the semester and it already sucks :(

It starts at the Orientation to Gross Anatomy.

Yeah I was reading the fall semester book list after which I realized I will be taking Physiology, Gross Anatomy, Embryology/Histology, molecular bio/biochem, and Neuroscience (what ever the heck that is). After the realization (1) I wished that this is not true, and that I hopefully don't have all these classes the first semester and (2) I think I mentally vomitted.

Okay, so med school starts for me in 19 days. I am at that point where I am sure all of you have been, extremely excited to be starting something new. Sow how long into med school does the excitement and newness wear out and the overwhelming kick in the crotch that is medical school kick in? A day, week, month? Just wondering so I can get prepared now.

Depends. If you get right into Anatomy lab, the excitement will last all of 5 days until you have to start coming in at 8 in the morning for 4 hours of disection, all the while hungry and trying not to think of food...

I'm thinking about posting a sign above the anatomy lab door

"Abandon all hope
Ye who enter here"

I'm serious i think im gonna do it.

ANATOMY SUCKS

Is it worth investing in a HEPA mask for anatomy? :p

I am wondering about this too. A resident I work with said when she went through anatomy, she got a HEPA mask because the smell was really irritating. But, from my point of view going on interview tours and such, the smell isn't that bad... especially since I was a chem major and I'm kind of used to smelling these kinds of things already.

Unless you really think you won't be able to stand the smell, then no. Our lab provided us with disposable masks, and we rarely ever used them. After a while, you get used to it and the smell just never leaves your nose... or your skin.:p

Actually, the only time I used a mask was when we were sawing through the skull to get the brain out. There was bone-dust hanging in the air for a while, and it was the worse smell I've ever smelled. If you weren't careful, you might inhale it and then be able to taste it. SO gross, and very disgusting experiece. Reward? Getting the brain out and being able to hold it. That was the best moment for me in anatomy lab :p

people who wear masks in anatomy lab = weirdos

You will be mocked for wearing one, since no one else will be. The smell is bad, but seriously there are much worse things to smell

You will be mocked for wearing one, since no one else will be. The smell is bad, but seriously there are much worse things to smell

yea, wearing a mask is weird.

I didn't think the bone smell was that bad. It was sort of like Doritos.

Members don't see this ad :)

do you go to a p np school? cuz thent he suck doesn't start until third year

yea, wearing a mask is weird.

I didn't think the bone smell was that bad. It was sort of like Doritos.

Nacho cheese or cool ranch? :p

Just kidding. But I do feel very anxious (in a good way I guess?) about starting. Yeah I sometimes worry about how I'll adjust, but at the same time my summer is dragging on and this gives me something to look forward to.

I'm in anatomy now and while I share the general disdain for anatomy, it could be worse. I don't hate the material as much as hanging around looking at various shades of white and gray. You just go in expecting the worst. I'm honestly pretty happy right now. Is it a difficult adjustment? Yes. Stressful? At times. Overall, I already feel I'm establishing friendships with people on a level that is hard to compare. Unless you're a serial killer, sawing a head in half with a hacksaw is a pretty unique moment that not many people understand. In the end, it is what you make it. There is fun to be had and you will probably learn more in the first month of school than you did in 4 years of undergrad. I'm also a bit of a masochist, so that may skew my view.

I'm in anatomy now and while I share the general disdain for anatomy, it could be worse. I don't hate the material as much as hanging around looking at various shades of white and gray. You just go in expecting the worst. I'm honestly pretty happy right now. Is it a difficult adjustment? Yes. Stressful? At times. Overall, I already feel I'm establishing friendships with people on a level that is hard to compare. Unless you're a serial killer, sawing a head in half with a hacksaw is a pretty unique moment that not many people understand. In the end, it is what you make it. There is fun to be had and you will probably learn more in the first month of school than you did in 4 years of undergrad. I'm also a bit of a masochist, so that may skew my view.

As much as other people hated anatomy, I liked it because it was something that I could see and feel. It's very concrete. While dissection can be time consuming and frustrating, I'd much rather do that than talk about the magical pathways and mechanisms in the nervous system that may or may not exist.

Last edited:
As much as other people hated anatomy, I liked it because it was something that I could see and feel. It's very concrete. While dissection can be time consuming and frustrating, I'd much rather do that then talk about the magical pathways and mechanisms in the nervous system that may or may not exist.

Ditto. Not to mention that cutting into a dead body will really be the only thing that will make you actually feel like a medical student in your first year.

Unless you really think you won't be able to stand the smell, then no. Our lab provided us with disposable masks, and we rarely ever used them. After a while, you get used to it and the smell just never leaves your nose... or your skin.:p

Actually, the only time I used a mask was when we were sawing through the skull to get the brain out. There was bone-dust hanging in the air for a while, and it was the worse smell I've ever smelled. If you weren't careful, you might inhale it and then be able to taste it. SO gross, and very disgusting experiece. Reward? Getting the brain out and being able to hold it. That was the best moment for me in anatomy lab :p

I've held a brain and stepped in one too. It's surprisingly slippery. The former was much neater than the latter.

The first day you have to get up at 4am the day after you worked a 36 hour shift.

That's when it becomes the suck.

If you weare a mask to anatomy lab, you are flat out ridiculous, and should be killed.

A mask is not nearly protective enough. Most of my classmates and I wore these:

diveSuit072808_3.jpg

They sold them at orientation for a good price.

Last edited:

No HEPA masks remove particulates from the air and not odor. You will need something with an activated carbon filter for odor. Usually these masks are sold for spray painting or dealing with organic vapors. The smell is not that bad and you get used to it pretty quickly when your into your elbows wonder what the hell you are looking at?

PS Don't cut the intestines or the colon, I think you know why :p

I've held a brain and stepped in one too. It's surprisingly slippery. The former was much neater than the latter.

:thumbup:

Stepping into someone's brain is something that I look forward to experiencing.

:thumbup:

Stepping into someone's brain is something that I look forward to experiencing.

Oh, I had the displeasure of doing that in the floorboard of an overturned semi. It wasn't a controlled environment. Mix in shattered glass and metal fragments, and it makes for a dangerous combination.

They sold them at orientation for a good price.

Oh, is something like that what they were expecting? Damn.

LECOM-E's dress code makes this all confusing. I bought this to try to not only match up with the dress code but protect myself in lab too:

322484787_5676f4edc6.jpg

i'm in anatomy now and while i share the general disdain for anatomy, it could be worse. I don't hate the material as much as hanging around looking at various shades of white and gray. You just go in expecting the worst. I'm honestly pretty happy right now. Is it a difficult adjustment? Yes. Stressful? At times. Overall, i already feel i'm establishing friendships with people on a level that is hard to compare. unless you're a serial killer, sawing a head in half with a hacksaw is a pretty unique moment that not many people understand. in the end, it is what you make it. There is fun to be had and you will probably learn more in the first month of school than you did in 4 years of undergrad. I'm also a bit of a masochist, so that may skew my view.

:laugh:

We didn't get that luxury :)(). The only thing we used the hack saw for was to cut the pelvis in half. The head of the lab used a band saw to slice the skulls in half. I'll admit, though, that the smell of that was probably one of the worst I have ever experienced (it definitely had NO resemblence to Doritos :laugh:).

We didn't get that luxury :)(). The only thing we used the hack saw for was to cut the pelvis in half. The head of the lab used a band saw to slice the skulls in half. I'll admit, though, that the smell of that was probably one of the worst I have ever experienced (it definitely had NO resemblence to Doritos :laugh:).

hmm, we used a Stryker. Maybe that's the difference?

19 days ?! Dang, this is early!
And anyway, why not just see for yourself man?

Yes! Not like Doritos at all! And the knowledge of where it came from made it even worse...

(I should declare a conflict of interest, though: I don't like Doritos):p

The suck starts about a week or two before your first exam week. Until then, it's all fun and games. You quickly acclimate to the suck though; I think the next level of suck comes when you start your surgery rotation. Or your first night of call. My first call is Wednesday :scared:.

Man, I must be something special because the suck didn't start for me until Sem 2 of year 2.

Whenever you allow it to. Sure there will be rough times, long days, but none of it really sucks unless YOU make it suck. It's all about perspective.

anatomy lab smells like flowers compared to a woman with chorio giving birth in right in your face

ob/gyn is when med school REALLY starts to suck

Aside from the discussion of how bad anatomy sucks/smells:

Med school starts to suck when you hit a class you really don't like. I pretty much enjoyed all the first year classes, wasn't crazy about Cell Bio but it wasn't the worst thing ever. Really didn't mind anything until Pharmacology came along. That was when I started to get a little ground down.

P.S. Wearing a mask in gross lab is weak.

Aside from the discussion of how bad anatomy sucks/smells:

Med school starts to suck when you hit a class you really don't like. I pretty much enjoyed all the first year classes, wasn't crazy about Cell Bio but it wasn't the worst thing ever. Really didn't mind anything until Pharmacology came along. That was when I started to get a little ground down.

P.S. Wearing a mask in gross lab is weak.

I find the anxiety surrounding Gross Anatomy pretty amusing (even though I had many of the same fears and complaints during my 1st year). Anatomy turns out to be such an insignificant part of the medical school experience. After all, it's only occupies 6 months of a 4 year process. I can honestly say that I have no lasting memories of Gross, either good or bad.

My first set of exams definitely sucked in terms of grades, but after that you kind of figure it out and know what to do from then on.

I got really burnt out in first year starting in about April. Second year suckiness really hit me about February and didn't stop until final exams were done in May. I actually didn't mind step 1 studying though - you make your own schedule so it's not too bad, plus I took lots of breaks.

But yikes, second year really sucked the life out of me. I honestly look at the upcoming 2nd year students at my school (who are still on summer break) and just feel so sorry for them!

Don't wear a mask. If it's bad, just dab some Vick's around your nose. Works wonders. Now, we use peppermint oil on our masks in surgery when you get a great butt pus case or disimpaction. That's even better.

Nothing in the first two years was that big a deal. I'm in neurosurgery rotation now and the hours are a bitch. When you have to be at work more than an hour before the sun rises in the summer, you know your life sucks a lot. I can't imagine what those residents' lives are like.

The excitement of starting something new ends pretty quick, usually by the end of the first week. The kick in the crotch doesn't come until 3rd year.

I agree with this 100%. First two years are very nice/chill. You can basically set your own schedule, and as long as you have the discipline/self motivation to stick with it, it is all good. You will of course, get sick of studying so much, but try to enjoy the flexibility that you have in your schedule, because there are going to be a lot of times during your 3rd year where you will miss that.

The great thing about med school though, is that it goes by so fast. I feel like I just started myself, and I am a 4th year, its crazy.

Medical school is a pretty good time. Internship is when life gets kinda hard and the excitement wears off.

On another note you will notice that for about 10% of your classmates the suck starts on day #1 and continues until the end of their career.

Avoid them.

On another note you will notice that for about 10% of your classmates the suck starts on day #1 and continues until the end of their career.

Avoid them.

Excellent point. :thumbup:

the only parts about MS1 that were semi-arduous were the weeks before and during exams. Even then the work I was doing, while mentally draining, wasn't really difficult compared to a lot of other jobs. Then again it all depends on your frame of reference. Honestly studying and taking exams was a lot easier for me than say, an average 12 hr shift at the restaurant, which I used to do all the time and really enjoyed. Med school is awesome, and it only gets better (so I hear..)

First year sucks... No no no second year sucks... Definitely not it's third year... etc.

Don't believe any of it. It is what you make of it. If you can deal with lack of sleep then all of med school is easy. Working isn't easy but the rest of the world has to do it. At least in medical school you have very little real responsibility.

Avoid them.

Thanks for the heads up.

At least in medical school you have very little real responsibility.

Except the responsibility to do well. Unlike many jobs, studying never ends, because the goal isn't concrete - all material is fair game, thus you're never "off."

Every second spent bathing in sea water is one less second spent pondering a potential test question.

Not saying it's healthy, etc. But this is the trouble with school and tests. Such is the burden. There is no clock-out.