So...Where is everyone goin next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valine1212

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I've seen so many people getting accepted, why dont we make a thread of applied/accepted/attending of the people on this board?

I start first then,

I applied to ICO, NEWENCO and SUNY.

I got accepted to ICO and NEWENCO and have an interview at SUNY.

SUNY is my first choice but if I dont get accept I will probably go to NEWENCO because I like their early clinical experience and research accomplishment.

Members don't see this ad.

applied: PCO and SUNY
accepted: PCO and SUNY
will be attending: PCO :D

(two more finals tomorrow and I'm done w/undergraduate classes FOREVER! :cool: )

applied: UMSL
accepted: UMSL
will be attending UMSL

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied ICO NEWENCO IU SUNY
Accepted ICO NEWENCO IU, declined SUNY ahead of time

I'm going to ICO of course!!!:)

IU rules!! That is were I will be attending!

Applied: ICO
Accepted: ICO
Attending: ICO

Applied: SCO
Accepted: SCO (I just found out today!) :D
Will Be Attending: SCO :)

Originally posted by rose13
Applied: SCO
Accepted: SCO (I just found out today!) :D
Will Be Attending: SCO :)

I figure you've been in SCO; what were your first impressions about it?

Hi everyone:

Applied: SCCO, SUNY, Newenco, ICO, and UCB.

Accepted: SCCO, SUNY, Newenco, and ICO. (UCBSO, my final interview, is in Feb).

Attending: I'm 90% sure that I'll be attending SCCO, unless UCB impresses me A LOT.

- Rosanna

Originally posted by J.opt
I figure you've been in SCO; what were your first impressions about it?

I absolutely loved SCO! The people are very nice; the facility is very clean; and they labs are impressive. Also, they just opened "The Eye Clinic" and it is wonderful! Every thing there is new and it is a state of the art eye clinic. When I was there, they were seeing patients. The students do their clinicals there. They also have a nice gym for the students.

My interview lasted about 4 hours. First, I met with the admissions counselor to go overe my file. Then, a student gave us a very detailed tour of the school (i.e., which classes we'd be taking where and during which year; what goes on in those classes; note-taking system; tests; etc.) The building itself is about 12 stories. Then, I had a one-on-one blind interview with a faculty member. It was very relaxed; I talked about myself (since it was a blind interview, nothing was known about me) and my motivations for optometry. Then I was asked a few questions to probe my knowledge of the profession and future plans. Then, we met with a financial aid counselor to discuss costs and debt management while in school. Then, we met with someone who told us about housing options in the Memphis area; they do not have student housing, but they will help you locate a place to live, depending on your preferences.

I was very pleased with SCO. Everyone is very nice and helpful. It is the only school I applied to (I really want to go here), and I am so happy that I was accepted. After going there, I realized that it was much more than I thought is would be (and I was already pleased with the school before visiting there). I am looking forward to beginning my optometric studies at SCO. If you need more details or have any other questions, let me know; I'll be glad to answer them.
:)

I will be attending SUNY this fall

I will be attending SUNY this fall

Originally posted by cpw
congrats on your acceptance, rose13!!! :clap: :clap: I'm sure you'll be happy at SCO! :D :cool:

Thanks, cpw. :)

Congrats! :clap:
Last week I was talking with a local optometrist who graduated from SCO. He hasn?t been there in a while, so he couldn?t tell me anything new about it.
What do you think about the city of Memphis? I?ve never been there, and I haven?t heard much about it. SCO will be among my top choices; I got some info from them last month and a letter from a student talking about their new eye clinic and about how much he likes his school.

Did you do well on the OAT?
Is there any reason why you didn?t apply for UHCO?

Originally posted by J.opt
Congrats! :clap:
Last week I was talking with a local optometrist who graduated from SCO. He hasn?t been there in a while, so he couldn?t tell me anything new about it.
What do you think about the city of Memphis? I?ve never been there, and I haven?t heard much about it. SCO will be among my top choices; I got some info from them last month and a letter from a student talking about their new eye clinic and about how much he likes his school.

Did you do well on the OAT?
Is there any reason why you didn?t apply for UHCO?

Memphis is not bad and the cost of living is very cheap. SCO is located on the border of the downtown/midtown area (pretty nice), down the street form the U of TN Health Sciences Center. Some parts of the city leave a lot to be desired, but the suburbs, especially those east of the city) are very nice. SCO is a beautiful school and I think you'll enjoy it.
I made a 330 academic average on the OAT; so I guess I did well enough to snag an interview and get accepted. I did not apply to UHCO because I am not a Texas resident; I am a Louisiana resident, and UHCO does not offer LA residents in-state tuition whereas SCO does. Also, my family is originally from MS, and SCO is closer to my family. I am only in TX for a brief time; my husband's job is here, but he'll be leaving in a few months. We have not been pleased with our experience of living in TX and are ready to leave.