Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

So, who's lucky enough to be here next year? :p

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by WaitingKills, Apr 11, 2007.

1. WaitingKills

WaitingKills Rockstar

Psychology Student
    So I guess it's late enough in the game that some of us know that we are rejected from all the schools we applied to, and others will know within the next few weeks.

I am nosy and want to know who my virtual friends are going to be for the next year as we stress and freak out about this stupid process again.

So, I'll go first. Unless something miraculous happens at one of my universities (a current master's student who is transfering to the Ph.D suddenly dies), I will definitely be around.

:hello:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spyspy

I'm most likely waiting until fall 2008 to apply again. I see no sense in going another round this fall. Though there are a few schools I'd like to apply to next time that I didn't apply to this past year, I'm not about to commit to a job and then apply behind their backs or anything.

Still on a waitlist, but probably not panning out.:( Trying to keep some hope though...and I'm getting excited about some job opportunities.

4. emc17

emc17 emc

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Raises hand :rolleyes: things are looking bleak, so expect to see me around again!

5. KillerDiller

Post Doc
    Wait wait wait, just because some people got into grad school this year doesn't mean they have to leave the board. Hopefully you'll still see a lot of us around next year. :)

6. irish80122

irish80122 DCT at Miss State U.
    Faculty

Psychologist
    I am one who got into grad school and hopes to be around, time permitting. If not, I am always open to PMs if I can do anything to help!

7. psychwanabe

Psychology Student
    Right, killerdiller! I don't want to leave my new support group! Besides, you never know how we can help each other network and supply information for anyone who interviews at our programs! :rolleyes:

8. paramour

Yes, I agree with KillerDiller, irish, & psychwanabe. Don't count us out simply because we're going somewhere. :)

We can provide future applicants SDN LORs. So, those having difficulty locating a third prof will automatically know who to turn to for assistance. :laugh: Of course, if we're going to write you a LOR, we also expect some community service hours--so you better get to posting!

9. Duckygirl

Duckygirl Back on the saddle

Psychology Student
    It will be me too, WaitingKills! In spite of my attempts at holding on to every little last shred of hope (if someone dies, I too may get lucky :)), I will be doing this all over again. What will you guys be doing to change your circumstances for the next round? I'll be doing [hopefully] some of the following:

-Writing a manuscript for my research project on a measure of children's attention and submitting it to a handful of journals for review
    -Submit presentation proposals to several regional psych associations for this project
    -Join the student affiliate division of the APA and of my state psych association
    -Take an f'ing GRE class in June and July (retake in July)
    -Joining a team doing outcomes research for a national health insurance company
    -Take a couple of psych classes at my local university that I never took as an undergrad (history & systems, abnormal, perhpas?)
    -Make a few more contacts with some professors I am interested in (I had horrible luck with that last fall)

It feels like an ambitious list...Maybe I'll be able to do most of it. I'm looking forward to all of it but the GREs and writing essays over and over again!

10. WaitingKills

WaitingKills Rockstar

Psychology Student
    Sorry guys! I didn't mean it like this. I was just trying to suss out those that were going through the application process again so we can freak out together. Not saying that you guys are now banned (get out! hehehe), I was just wondering who the stressed out nervous wrecks are going to be.

I'd just like to keep seeing some familiar faces for the process in this next year. I don't know, it just seems more comforting for me I guess.

But by all means, I hope to see you guys around too. Hehehe, it'll give us someone to harass re: applications, statements, POI's etc. You'll be so happy to have stuck around :p

11. psychwanabe

Psychology Student
    Haha, this is funny! Maybe we should keep stats on stress levels of graduate school applicants vs. graduate school first years! I bet we'll both be off the charts. ;)

Seriously though waitingkills, we understand what you were saying. It's nice to put screennames to the souls that will be haunting the application/interview/acceptance/rejection threads again in a few months.

12. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    I'll be here to cheer ya'll on, so you're stuck with me!

-t

13. paramour

Is that a threat?! :laugh:

14. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    Just stating a fact. ;)

-t

15. thewesternsky

Post Doc
    Though I'm not the most prolific poster on the board, I read almost everything and I will also be haunting the application/interview/acceptance threads next year (or possibly the year after, depending on how much progress I make on my master's thesis in the next few months). It's definitely nice to know that there will be some other familiar faces around for the upcoming application cycle.

In response to Duckysgirl's question, I will be spending the summer and fall:

-Rewriting a manuscript for re-submission to a journal
    -Preparing a poster presentation for a national conference (gah!), and presenting at said conference
    -Retaking the general GRE (*sigh*)
    -Collaborating with a graduate student to submit our related thesises to a journal as one manuscript (my Honours Thesis, her Master's thesis)
    -Beginning a master's program in experimental psychology
    -further defining my research interests, and hopefully making more contact with profs-- I was terrified of this last year and left it to November. :(

It's going to be a busy year. :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. emc17

emc17 emc

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Let's see, before the next application process I will be:

1. submitting a poster to a couple of regional/national conventions and hopefully presenting it!
    2. Continuing to work as an RA at the child development lab I am currently at and hopefully finding another part-time clinically related job.
    3. most likely re-taking the GRE :(
    4. further defining my research interests and working more intensively on my personal statement
    5. looking for a greater amount of schools to apply to
    6. making contact with potential POI's

18. spyspy

Okay, it's official: I'm done. Though I've still yet to recieve anything at all from 2 programs, the last of the programs where I was intervieded and then waitlisted has rejected me.

Now I'm in the middle of interviewing for RA jobs. Does this ever end? ;)

19. paramour

My mentor told me yesterday that I can relax in about 10 years. I kid you not. :|

20. Psychbar

Psychology Student
    10 years?
    Try 40.

21. paramour

:laugh: I think he was referring more to the continuous educational stressors more than those "other" things that bog us down.

22. RayneeDeigh

Psychology Student
    ... re-lax? Does not compute.

(I say as I'm freaking out about my thesis dissertation tomorrow :laugh:)

23. paramour

Ooh, g'luck! I've already defended mine but have to present it at a research forum/conference tomorrow morning. I should be reviewing for it to make sure I stay within the allotted timeframe . . . but here I am. :D:

24. sicologia

Post Doc
    A thesis dissertation?