so, why are there more girls doing pharmacy then dudes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insomniac12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from someone that a pharmacy class has like a 1:7 dude to girl ratio.

whoa!.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually noticed that there is more women doing pharmacy, I think that is because Men go straight to Medical school.

b/c they want a family.

i'm a guy but i have lots of things going on besides school. med school was an option but i felt like i wouldn't have the time to devote to my "other" things.

so since women are more family-oriented, it's only fitting for more women to enter pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sucks to be a girl. Good to be a guy.

a lot of guys think pharmacy related tasks are lightweight and is therefore better suited for girls. This is why they go to medical school to be like the hot doctor they see on TV who gets all the girls.

It's even worse in some other fields...according to Tufts website, the graduating class of 2005 (school of vet medicine) consisted of 89% women, 11% men.

I heard from someone that a pharmacy class has like a 1:7 dude to girl ratio.

whoa!.

ohhhhhh right :)

Family-Guy---Quagmire-Magnet-C12219535.jpeg

I knew I made the right choice instead of engineering

otherwise, is the ratio true for ALL schools? or is it a regional thing? ie. at my undergrad school, there was more women then men because it was a school in the city

ohhhhhh right :)

Family-Guy---Quagmire-Magnet-C12219535.jpeg

I knew I made the right choice instead of engineering

otherwise, is the ratio true for ALL schools? or is it a regional thing? ie. at my undergrad school, there was more women then men because it was a school in the city

and engineering is just the complete opposite of that ratio :laugh:

my guess is that its the same for most schools. anyone in professional pharmacy classes right now that can answer that question better? as in how many dudes out of the total number of people in the class.

Don't get your hopes up on SOP == dating market, take out the ones dating, engaged or married, it's back to a 1:1 ratio. ;)

I think that girls are naturally inclined to a profession like pharmacy because of their innate qualities: sensitive to others' feelings and nurturing. This makes them excellent candidates for the profession :p

b/c they want a family.

i'm a guy but i have lots of things going on besides school. med school was an option but i felt like i wouldn't have the time to devote to my "other" things.

so since women are more family-oriented, it's only fitting for more women to enter pharmacy.

the above reason may be great for the pharmacists, but it is bad for the profession itself. too many pharmacists are female and mostly part-time workers, with only part-time devotion to their job.

It isnt just pharmacy school. Look at master's programs, law, optometry, and veterinary medicine. The female to male ratios are heavily on the female side.

the above reason may be great for the pharmacists, but it is bad for the profession itself. too many pharmacists are female and mostly part-time workers, with only part-time devotion to their job.

Equals more jobs for those who want to focus on our careers!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Equals more jobs for those who want to focus on our careers!!!!

Nope it equals getting the shaft when you're a woman since even though it's against the law people will be tentative to hire you since there's a stereotype that we'll eventually want to work part-time so we can fulfill our one true glorious goal as women (aka be the primary care giver to a child due to our innate family oriented and nurturing nature). Women won't be seen as reliable enough to hire to a full-time position that they want to fill long term. There's enough evidence in this thread that this is how people view women in the workforce.

I think it's other factors to be honest and not just drivel about stereotyping women as gentle, caring creatures (as opposed to men who don't give a flip about family or touchy feeling nurturing stuff). As mentioned it's seen in other fields that don't have the part-time potential.

Nope it equals getting the shaft when you're a woman since even though it's against the law people will be tentative to hire you since there's a stereotype that we'll eventually want to work part-time so we can fulfill our one true glorious goal as women (aka be the primary care giver to a child due to our innate family oriented and nurturing nature). Women won't be seen as reliable enough to hire to a full-time position that they want to fill long term. There's enough evidence in this thread that this is how people view women in the workforce.

I think it's other factors to be honest and not just drivel about stereotyping women as gentle, caring creatures (as opposed to men who don't give a flip about family or touchy feeling nurturing stuff). As mentioned it's seen in other fields that don't have the part-time potential.

I am a woman and I don't think that I will get the shaft b/c I will make it clear that I want to focus on my career!!! Besides, discriminating is illegal. That's bullcrap, women are seen as reliable enough to work a full-time position and will continue to fill many jobs regardless of having a family. You know what they say about opinions though!!

I am a woman and I don't think that I will get the shaft b/c I will make it clear that I want to focus on my career!!! Besides, discriminating is illegal. That's bullcrap, women are seen as reliable enough to work a full-time position and will continue to fill many jobs regardless of having a family. You know what they say about opinions though!!

Hit a nerve, much? :D

Don't take it personal, if you explicitly state your career is the first priority and you aren't planning a family or taking parenteral leave in the near future there's obviously no issue.

However, a substantial amount of women have done the work 24 hrs/week - and employers know it. A district manager was talking with the pharmacy manager about how she was tentative about hiring this woman from BC as she needed a guaranteed full-time position. She hired her, and two weeks into the job the woman claimed a year family leave. So you can see the caution in employers from a pure management sense, it's not personal or an attack.

About the discrimination being "illegal", well the person in the hiring position probably is aware of all the same stereotypes you are, and you can wager they do influence hiring. Intentionally or not.

Freakonomics had a cool study in it where a job applicant had exactly the same resume except in one instance he changed the name to a predominantly black name (deshawn or something) and then compared the responses vs a white name. Discrimination is still quite prevalent.

You know....pharmacy is not the most masculine profession.....

a lot of guys think pharmacy related tasks are lightweight and is therefore better suited for girls. This is why they go to medical school to be like the hot doctor they see on TV who gets all the girls.

Poppycock! Pharmacists are the sexxorz.

You know....pharmacy is not the most masculine profession.....

I'm a guy, and I take offense to that statement :)

Knowledge, IMHO, is incredibly powerful. Pharmacy is a profession based on knowledge. In many societies, the smartest men are considered the most masculine. Therefore, pharmacy can be just as masculine as any other profession.

Besides, despite whats evident in schools right now, the majority of pharmacists are still males.

Here's what I think:
If the generalization that female pharmacists tend to work part-time or retire early is true, the product would be good for the field of pharmacy(as a career). The need for pharmacy graduates could be easily under-estimated if such a tendency was particularly common to individuals in the dominant sex of the field where there is a 7:1 ratio, and if this tendency among that population wasn't considered or simply ignored. It equals more demand and therefore higher wages. Full time, or otherwise working PharmD's, would have greater value.

There could be innumerable reasons why the females have a greater frequency of part-timers, et cetera. But for the note, I honestly wouldn't be interested in the reasons--just the infuencial statistics. Assuming the generalization is true, of course.

More women in pharmacy means more preggo pharmacists taking time off, going part time and leaving more hours for us men to gladly fill. :thumbup: Unfortunately, it also means more drama in the workplace. :( Ever work in a job with almost all women? I have... women are ruthless when limited to confined areas together. Must be a pheromone thing.

women are ruthless when limited to confined areas together. Must be a pheromone thing.

Right on. Give me penis or give me bitch.

That's it nana face I'm reporting joo!

;)

pc ++

maybe pharmacy is dealing with compounding drugs, which is similar to baking cake or cookies -------> female stuffs, no? :D

Let me begin by saying that I am grateful for the entrance of women into the work force because it was their nagging that gave us many benefits we take for granted today....such as paid pregnancy leave for the Husband sometimes :thumbup: :thumbup: :love: :)

Now for the rest:

:eek:
Having sat in a Berkeley "women's study class” I have this to say (you bet I am a cynic after that).........

HA! DO YOU SEE ANY MEN COMPLAINING OR NAGGING ABOUT EQUAL M/F RATIOS???? WHERE ARE THE FAIR TREATMENT FEMINISTS NOW?? Don’t they want equality for all???

I am going to take this a step further: ***Here we go part II***

The Fem-Nazis loooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee to waive the "Women get paid less argument"........it is CLEARLY because men work more hours, do more dangerous work at times and those factors add up to more pay (example how many female truck drivers do you see?) ..... there is NO PROVEN bias in pay. IT IS ILLEGAL to pay either sex more. Every study out there fails to address these confounding variables.

I always get yelled at for defending Men's rights:confused: . I am given the argument "its already a man's world"...please.....the US has the most whipped males I know........:smuggrin:

Without feeding the troll too much, the numbers selected to classes, generally follow the same numbers applying. So there isn't a need to "fix" the classes.

To the rest of your post, you should review the studies again, there's only about 7 I know off the top of my head that say that women on average get paid less then men for doing the exact same work/job/function.

Let me begin by saying that I am grateful for the entrance of women into the work force because it was their nagging that gave us many benefits we take for granted today....such as paid pregnancy leave for the Husband sometimes :thumbup: :thumbup: :love: :)

Now for the rest:

:eek:
Having sat in a Berkeley "women's study class” I have this to say (you bet I am a cynic after that).........

HA! DO YOU SEE ANY MEN COMPLAINING OR NAGGING ABOUT EQUAL M/F RATIOS???? WHERE ARE THE FAIR TREATMENT FEMINISTS NOW?? Don’t they want equality for all???

I am going to take this a step further: ***Here we go part II***

The Fem-Nazis loooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee to waive the "Women get paid less argument"........it is CLEARLY because men work more hours, do more dangerous work at times and those factors add up to more pay (example how many female truck drivers do you see?) ..... there is NO PROVEN bias in pay. IT IS ILLEGAL to pay either sex more. Every study out there fails to address these confounding variables.

I always get yelled at for defending Men's rights:confused: . I am given the argument "its already a man's world"...please.....the US has the most whipped males I know........:smuggrin:

damn.... you must have been holding that one in for a long time.:cool:

As a male about to enter school and the profession, I think it's great. Women are nice to look at, and the ones I've worked with in pharmacies are the types who get things done. Maybe it's just me, but I could care less about ones sex, unless it's being used as an excuse to not work hard. I think some of the men pharmacists I've worked with are actually less motivated than women to work, but again, maybe that's just the little world that I live in.

As a male about to enter school and the profession, I think it's great. Women are nice to look at, and the ones I've worked with in pharmacies are the types who get things done. Maybe it's just me, but I could care less about ones sex, unless it's being used as an excuse to not work hard. I think some of the men pharmacists I've worked with are actually less motivated than women to work, but again, maybe that's just the little world that I live in.

All pharmacists I have worked with in my little world have also been hard working. I agree, women are nice to look at, I have no problem with the ratio.