So why DO you want to go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I watched too much Bugs Bunny on Looney Tunes when I was young and the "what's up doc?" just stuck with me... :p

Members don't see this ad.

undignified said:
the last post i did talked about God.. and how he is a personal and a living God. My desire to be a doctor is to not only talk about him, but to let him use me in areas that need medicine, but it seems to me like a bunch of the ppl in this forum (or just the ones that replied to my thread), don't care much about God SO........

Why do you want to be a doctor?

(p.s. sry if it sounds like ranting)

Dude. Shut up. Why use our faith as flame-bait?

Steiner said:
I work in an expensive restaurant, and noticed all these pharmaceutical companies bringing in doctors to eat whatever they want all the time. I want the M.D. to get as many of those free fancy dinners as possible. They better not hold back on the liquor either. Open bar or I don't come.
tell nopdm about it.. go to the Gen res forum.. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Rafa said:
...because my boook deal fell through. :laugh:

0316059889.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Cool -- you can plagiarize House of God next. :laugh:

Because God wants me to... and that's no lie.

I said "no" to His calling originally, because I wanted to devote the bulk of my time to my family, but He promises He will provide if I will only follow His lead.

because i want to buy myself a grill...

208.jpg

"whole top's diamond and the bottom row's gold..."

undignified said:
the last post i did talked about God.. and how he is a personal and a living God. My desire to be a doctor is to not only talk about him, but to let him use me in areas that need medicine, but it seems to me like a bunch of the ppl in this forum (or just the ones that replied to my thread), don't care much about God SO........

I think God is up there laughing at you right now.

Panda Bear said:
Dude. Shut up. Why use our faith as flame-bait?
:laugh: Because it's easy!

PS

How old is this thread/response?

I want to become a doctor so I can best serve God using my gifts and abilities. This necessarily involves sharing Jesus with others. As a Christian, one of the central beliefs of our faith is that only through Jesus do people get to heaven.

I know it is unpopular to some people to share Jesus with others as if it were "cramming God down their throats", but it really isn't "cramming God down their throats". Telling others about Jesus is sharing the most important truth you could ever possibly share with someone. As a doctor and a Christian, I'd feel it inhumane to only treat people physically when their eternal souls are in danger. Therefore, I will always try to help people not only physically but also spiritually by sharing Jesus with them somehow--I will certainly listen to their story and find out where they are coming from and will not "cram God down their throats". Yes it is wrong to force religion on people or to try to pressure them to believe but I feel it is not only right but it is my duty to share the eternal life-saving news of Jesus whenever there's a good opportunity to do so....it's about sharing my faith and it is their choice whether or not they want to believe it. Here's a quote I really like to conclude my thoughts:

"If you found a cure for cancer, wouldn't it be inconceivable to hide it from the rest of mankind? How much more inconceivable to keep silent the cure [Jesus] from the eternal wages of death." -Dave Davidson

shoyt said:
I want to become a doctor to do mission work in Africa. As a Christian, one of my central beliefs is that only through Jesus can people get to heaven. Therefore, I want to help people physically and spiritually--help heal their bodies and their souls with the good news of Jesus.

I know it is very unpopular to tell others about Jesus as if it were "cramming God down their throats", but it really isn't "cramming God down their throats". Telling others about Jesus is primarily sharing your story of how Jesus personally changed your life and how you know that when you die you'll be in heaven with Him forever. As a doctor and a Christian, I'd feel it inhumane to only treat people physically when their eternal souls are in danger so I will always try to help people spiritually by sharing Jesus with them somehow--I will certainly listen to their story and find out where they are coming from and will not "cram God down their throats". Yes it is wrong to force religion on people or to try to pressure them to believe but I feel it is not only right but it is my duty to share the eternal life-saving news of Jesus with everyone I can....it's about sharing my faith and it is their choice whether or not they want to believe it. Here's a quote I really like to conclude my thoughts:

"If you found a cure for cancer, wouldn't it be inconceivable to hide it from the rest of mankind? How much more inconceivable to keep silent the cure [Jesus] from the eternal wages of death." -Dave Davidson

Very interesting reason for going into medicine. What will you do when you meet someone that was a Christian and decided to convert to something else? Just curious.

I love medicine. I love to learn. I can't see myself in any other field. I'm still soul searching for the rest :p.

mvenus929 said:
Very interesting reason for going into medicine. What will you do when you meet someone that was a Christian and decided to convert to something else? Just curious.

I love medicine. I love to learn. I can't see myself in any other field. I'm still soul searching for the rest :p.

If I met someone who was a Christian but decided to follow something else, I would try to talk with them about why they don't believe in Jesus anymore. Perhaps it was a problem with a particular Christian or a bad church that drew them away from the faith. I would ask them what attracted them to the new religion and emphasize the fact that Jesus says that He is the only way to God and to heaven. I would tell them that if they aren't sure if Jesus could be the way, then they should ask God to show them the truth and I believe God will lead them ultimately to Jesus.

I also love science and love to learn and I believe these desires are confirmation from God that I should pursue a medical career.

hmmm.....this whole religous thing.....

even though I am Christian (parents are protestant, and I became Catholic at 18 on my own).....i never really considered that "God had a plan." I just do what I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP:

Without arguing specific beliefs, I don't think it is apporpriate for a doctor to focus so heavily on spirituality on the job. Religious leaders don't perform surgeries in the pews, and you shouldn't perform sermons on the operating table.

You are going to make people (even some with your own beliefs) very uncomfortable.

I dont know why i wanna do it. i just want to do it

MasterMD said:
because i want to buy myself a grill...

208.jpg

"whole top's diamond and the bottom row's gold..."

I totally thought that was a diamong ring.

Ok, so I'll add that I want to go to med school so I can meet a fella to put a huge diamond ring on my finger.

Well, after completeing a perfectly worthless degree in English, I worked for a while in a mindless office job. I spent most of my days there searching the internet for other career options. I knew I needed a job that would bring money and respect. I ruled out getting an MBA becasue I HATE office work and didn't want to be an entrepeneur. Lawyers have to do WAY too much writing. I know I would get bored working with computers., ... It was a process of elimination really. Not to mention I had just started dating this guy in med school, and I'm not the kind of girl who ever wanted to be some doctors trophy wife, so back to school I went. Here I am today... up to my ears in secondaries, and waking up most mornings going, "Holy cow! Did I really just apply to MEDICAL SCHOOL? What was I thinking?!" The funny thing is, I really don't like working with people AT ALL, but I am realllly realllllllly good at it. What do you do, I guess. Its not my fault I'm good at something I dont like and horrible at all the things I love to do. My boyfriend is the only person who knows my true motives, and he strongly dissaproves. The thing is, its just a freakin career choice. I've never been crazy about any job I've ever had, that dosen't mean I can just not work. So why the heck not go to med school, I say. :laugh: good times

aashiq said:
I dont know why i wanna do it. i just want to do it
I can imagine it was a bit challenging for you to stretch that particular sentiment into a personal statement!! Ha Ha!! :laugh:

Thank God the writing in medicine isn't as bad as allied health. I've never met a doctor who had to hand-write page-length SOAP notes or lengthy assessment forms.

YAY! for dictation!!!!!

dopaminesurge said:
I totally thought that was a diamong ring.

Ok, so I'll add that I want to go to med school so I can meet a fella to put a huge diamond ring on my finger.

Diamonds are sooooooo 1980's. I'd rather have a vacation home. (or vacation island!)

j/k - to each his/her own!!!!!

megboo said:
Diamonds are sooooooo 1980's. I'd rather have a vacation home. (or vacation island!)

j/k - to each his/her own!!!!!

megboo's got some good ideas. We're upgrading. My fella will have to buy me a nice island.

LeikiLaniAhAh said:
Well, after completeing a perfectly worthless degree in English, I worked for a while in a mindless office job. I spent most of my days there searching the internet for other career options. I knew I needed a job that would bring money and respect. I ruled out getting an MBA becasue I HATE office work and didn't want to be an entrepeneur. Lawyers have to do WAY too much writing. I know I would get bored working with computers., ... It was a process of elimination really. Not to mention I had just started dating this guy in med school, and I'm not the kind of girl who ever wanted to be some doctors trophy wife, so back to school I went. Here I am today... up to my ears in secondaries, and waking up most mornings going, "Holy cow! Did I really just apply to MEDICAL SCHOOL? What was I thinking?!" The funny thing is, I really don't like working with people AT ALL, but I am realllly realllllllly good at it. What do you do, I guess. Its not my fault I'm good at something I dont like and horrible at all the things I love to do. My boyfriend is the only person who knows my true motives, and he strongly dissaproves. The thing is, its just a freakin career choice. I've never been crazy about any job I've ever had, that dosen't mean I can just not work. So why the heck not go to med school, I say. :laugh: good times

Dude, that's awesome : ) How on earth did you turn THAT into a PS? For me, it was like that, but I started by eliminating medicine (me, at age 20: No way in hell is some bunch of old men going to make ME do all that scut! I'm going to have a life!) and then thinking about/trying: teaching, law, business, research, writing, etc etc and realizing I was back at medicine and I didn't care about jumping through hoops or long hours anymore. Oh, and I'm proud to be a chef's trophy wife : )

undignified said:

Agreed. Motivations for becoming a physician are driven by desire to serve in missions field.