So why should I be looked down upon because I took prereqs at a community college?

Nov 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I heavily apologize for this rant/tone in advance if I come off sounding like a jerk, but lately I've been getting sick and tired of being looked down upon as an auto denial or inferior because I took premed requirements at a CC.....

Yes, I wasn't the most studious person as a teenager, but who is successful as a teenager? Public schooling is horrible, for insecure people you're more worried about fitting along with your peers than you are memorizing the unit circle. You're hormonal, you're horny. You shouldn't pay the price of an academic mistake that you made as a minor years and years later.

Also, yes, not everyone has money. My mom is a single cop who makes just enough to where getting financial aid is limited, so when I lived with her, we made it paycheck to paycheck, sometimes relying on church donations, etc. to get by.

So, YES, I did go to a CC. And YES, I always wanted to be a doctor. I got a transfer scholarship for going to a CC. My 4 year university was wise enough to reward me for changing my life and deciding to finally focus after maturing a little bit, but why should I be penalized by medical school faculty? At my CC, I took Bio I and II, Chem I and II, and Physics I and II, as well as my Cal I-III. I made all A's. Transferred out of a CC to a 4 year school. Chemical engineering major with a minor in bio.

Why should I be looked down upon because my prerequisites are at a CC? Do people assume I wasn't "challenged" enough at a CC and my grade is representative of my academic ability? I made an A in Ochem I and II. I thought Gen Chem I and II at a CC wouldn't prepare me for that. I thought my CC education wouldn't prepare me for making an A in Pchem, Biochem, and Polymer Chem.

That Physics that I took? Oh, it shouldn't have prepared me for making an A in heat transfer and an A in power engineering (imagine Physics II on the most anabolic substance alive).

Apparently math at a CC is weak, too. While I admit that I got a B in a mathematical modeling class, I made A's in Diff EQ, Linear Algebra, and Probability for Engineers (Calculus based).

I made an A in Genetics, Evolution, and Anatomy/Physiology. But that Bio was weak though, right?

So when I take my MCAT, and by the grace of God will hopefully do well, why should my CC education matter if I can prove I can do HARDER courses at a UNIVERSITY that required my CC classes as prerequisites?

I'm proud of my CC education. It taught me that:

1) Money matters
2) Life isn't easy
3) Yes, I didn't get to interact with that many fellow 18-19 year olds. It desensitized me to being perfectly normal with interacting with someone that's 60 years old as a lab partner.

I could definitely use my life experiences at a CC in medicine, and it made me a much more open person. I wasn't around geniuses every day at school, and that's perfectly normal, because the average layman isn't a genius. I feel like my 2 years at a CC helped me interact with people better, and understand other people's tough circumstances.

Why can't I dream of a top 20 school because of my past? Why can't I achieve that dream either? I did well. I would like to say that I did better than my peers in junior and senior level uni classes that spent their prereqs at a uni.

Soooooo....why the stigma for a CC again?

khrisskhoras

5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I heavily apologize for this rant/tone in advance if I come off sounding like a jerk, but lately I've been getting sick and tired of being looked down upon as an auto denial or inferior because I took premed requirements at a CC.....

Yes, I wasn't the most studious person as a teenager, but who is successful as a teenager? Public schooling is horrible, for insecure people you're more worried about fitting along with your peers than you are memorizing the unit circle. You're hormonal, you're horny. You shouldn't pay the price of an academic mistake that you made as a minor years and years later.

Also, yes, not everyone has money. My mom is a single cop who makes just enough to where getting financial aid is limited, so when I lived with her, we made it paycheck to paycheck, sometimes relying on church donations, etc. to get by.

So, YES, I did go to a CC. And YES, I always wanted to be a doctor. At my CC, I took Bio I and II, Chem I and II, and Physics I and II, as well as my Cal I-III. I made all A's. Transferred out of a CC to a 4 year school. Chemical engineering major with a minor in bio.

Why should I be looked down upon because my prerequisites are at a CC? Do people assume I wasn't "challenged" enough at a CC and my grade is representative of my academic ability? I made an A in Ochem I and II. I thought Gen Chem I and II at a CC wouldn't prepare me for that. I thought my CC education wouldn't prepare me for making an A in Pchem, Biochem, and Polymer Chem.

That Physics that I took? Oh, it shouldn't have prepared me for making an A in heat transfer and an A in power engineering (imagine Physics II on the most anabolic substance alive).

Apparently math at a CC is weak, too. While I admit that I got a B in a mathematical modeling class, I made A's in Diff EQ, Linear Algebra, and Probability for Engineers (Calculus based).

I made an A in Genetics, Evolution, and Anatomy/Physiology. But that Bio was weak though, right?

So when I take my MCAT, and by the grace of God will hopefully do well, why should my CC education matter if I can prove I can do HARDER courses at a UNIVERSITY that required my CC classes as prerequisites?

I'm proud of my CC education. It taught me that

1) Money matters
2) Life isn't easy
3) Yes, I didn't get to interact with that many fellow 18-19 year olds. It desensitized me to being perfectly normal with interacting with someone that's 60 years old as a lab partner.

Its only a disadvantage if you did poorly in the CC courses. Otherwise, you have a good chance to get in so long as you ace your 4-year courses.

Oct 9, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Did not read the whole post but I have about 30 cc credits and my application season is going really well thus far

Reactions: BlackBox

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It's a good question because CC coursework can be just as rigorous as any at a 4 year school. I never look down upon such coursework, but, alas, the are people on Admissions who do.

The best thing for you is to invest in the MSAR to determine which schools will accept your credits. Oddly, there's no rhyme or reason to who does, or doesn't.

Don't be bitter, just do well and keep eyes on the prize.

So, YES, I did go to a CC. And YES, I always wanted to be a doctor. At my CC, I took Bio I and II, Chem I and II, and Physics I and II, as well as my Cal I-III. I made all A's. Transferred out of a CC to a 4 year school. Chemical engineering major with a minor in bio.

I'm proud of my CC education. It taught me that

1) Money matters
2) Life isn't easy

Reactions: jack6425

jadedenvy

7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I also went to a CC for two years before transferring, and although I only took a few prereqs there, I'm definitely glad I went to a CC first. I saved money, I got back into the swing of studying (I had graduated early and taken my senior year off) and I didn't know what I wanted to do at that point, so it helped me figure it out without breaking the bank. I actually ended up enjoying my time there more than at my four year university - to me, the people there seemed more friendly/relaxed/less competitive, and the class sizes were much, much smaller, which made it easier to get help/know your teachers/know your classmates/get good attention. I think in some cases, you get better teachers at a CC as well, because the people who teach there are people who WANT to teach and (I think) are trained to teach, not people who have to teach because the university requires it if they are going to research there.

I can't say that I have proof that I've been looked down upon by the schools because of it, as my cycle is going well. But I can say that when I first met with my premed adviser to discuss my CV, she told me to leave off the fact that I had gone to a CC previously, because it's not a good thing to tell schools. (I had a very good GPA from my CC and from my university, so it has nothing to do with performance.)

I wish that CCs got a better reputation than some people seem to give it. I think things are changing, but you still get people like my adviser who look down on it. Don't let it keep you from being proud of the work you have done, the grades you've received, and the lessons you have learned. I think medical schools care much more about those things than about where you did them or learned them.

Who has been looking down on you, by the way?

OP
C
Nov 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
However, let's be honest, the classes at cc definitely had different standards for curriculum and grading.

Didn't know you were a supervising administrator at an institution like SACS that accredited CCs. At the CC that I went, labs were timed, you had to have your lab report BEFORE the timers went off, NO calculators whatsoever during Calculus I-III and Physics I and II, not even ti-39, which is a basic four function calculator (+ - / *). After Calculus II, if the teacher wanted a numerical magnitude of an answer, but it was written in ln or e, or sin/cos/tan, you had to use a Taylor series expansion and manually calculate the sums of quotients of products with factorials. So try computing sin(_____) by hand if the teacher wanted, all by hand.

50% of the Calculus exams were MC, so the answer is binary and they don't care about your work whatsoever, which means ZERO partial credit for those answers. Problems were designed such that easy errors were multiple choice answer options as well, as well as the negatives of such answers. Some problems had embedded forms, such as sin(_____) = cos(______ - pi/2) and it was up to the student to recall all different trigonometric forms of such answer without an implied hint from the professor.

Most of the classes were proof based, where memorizing formulas got you no where if you didn't have logic and couldn't think. Try proving the derivative of arcsin(x) and using epsilon-delta theorems to prove existence and uniqueness along endpoints.

For physics, one small exclusion of sig fig anywhere during the semester, and the problem was automatically wrong. No free body diagram drawn? Automatically wrong as well, even if you had the right answer.

There was no rounding for any course, 89.9 = B.

Bio wasn't easy, either. We had to memorize all 20 amino acids with properties, and certain isomers of each type. During meiosis, we learned about all the intermediate phases like diplotene, zygotene, etc. in BIO I, which is what everyone else complained and b!tched about in GENETICS at my Uni. All tests were open response, and inadequate answers were not given partial credit.

But yeah, CC curriculum standards are easy......right?

notbobtrustme

Crux Terminatus
Removed
Account on Hold
Jun 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Why can't I dream of a top 20 school because of my past? Why can't I achieve that dream either? I did well. I would like to say that I did better than my peers in junior and senior level uni classes that spent their prereqs at a uni.

People who get into top 20 schools have basically been gunning for that since high school or before. Their applications are mostly flawless. Just because attending CC is a knock for the top 20, doesn't mean you won't get in somewhere with excellent training. There's no such thing as a bad medical school.

OP
C
Nov 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
People who get into top 20 schools have basically been gunning for that since high school or before. Their applications are mostly flawless. Just because attending CC is a knock for the top 20, doesn't mean you won't get in somewhere with excellent training. There's no such thing as a bad medical school.

I disagree, I've seen people with worse stats than me get into top 20, but they go to a 4 year uni. Their apps are not "mostly flawless". My app so far has been more "flawless" than most of the people who got into top 20, but I am continually being beaten down because apparently a CC is a "flaw". It's not.

*3.6 GPA, 1 year research, 33 MCAT WASP applicant from a UC to Baylor Med is not "flawless".

*3.4 GPA, no research, 32 MCAT WASP with 6 months working as a scribe with C's in Organic I and II at UT Austin to UTSW is not "flawless" either.

*3.76 GPA, 2 years research, 34 MCAT to Dartmouth from Central Florida for an MSTP is not flawless either.

Mind you these are people who I went to HS with and were 2-3 years in class level above of me and were the fancy people with the golden tassels for top ____ % and awesome achievement in HS during graduation.

My stats are better, minus an unknown MCAT score yet, but I take practice tests that put me around 35. I have 2 years of research (I graduate in 1 more year, and I can get a third gig in), and I did a SURF for the summer at a UC, but nope, being a "CC grad" means you're most likely auto-fail according to people on this forum, counselors, advisers, and interviewers.

jadedenvy

7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think, or at least hope, you will find that what counselors, advisers (and especially people on this forum, sorry), to be untrue, in this case. Like I said, my adviser basically told me to keep my time in a CC off of my CV/PS as much as possible, which I didn't listen to, and I've done well for myself so far this cycle. I don't think anyone I've interviewed at has even brought it up. I just don't think people care as much as others may lead you to believe. I hope they don't, at any rate.

(And if they do, screw them, you and I both know that their attitude is the problem, not any sort of actual flaw in the CCs.)

IncognitoGuy

life of leisure
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's Thanksgiving.. why are you ranting here?

That aside, as it has been said before. CC pre-reqs will look bad if you do poorly in them.

Guess what? Pre-reqs also look bad if you do poorly in them at a 4-year University.

Know what else looks bad? A low MCAT. Low GPA. You don't have to go to CC to end up with any of these. Let your credentials (MCAT, research, GPA, etc) do the talking for you.

Lastly, why the obsession with top 20 schools? I'm getting the impression that you feel this almost reckless need to prove yourself. It's not like a Top-20 adcom will look at your file, think "Great MCAT! Great GPA! Great research! Great activities! What's this? Community College? *throw in garbage bin*" And if they do, I highly doubt that's a school you would want to attend.

So your GPA and projected MCAT are all higher than those people you listed. Make the most of it. Please don't let bitterness be the theme of your application.

BlackBox

7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2010
PA
Status
Medical Student
I always get concerned when the first post a new SDN-er posts is like this. Troll? Serious? Who knows?

In any case, I don't understand the point of the post. No one seemed to care that I was a high school dropout who started CC classes at 16 and failed a few of those (b/c it was a college, I still had to list them on my primary application).

I think you need to turn your bitterness into something more useful- like an intense MCAT review.

GL

acslater99

5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Take this from a person that emailed all Florida medical schools about taking prerequisites at a CC. It's fine just as long as you take upper level science courses Genetics,Biochemistry, etc.

swolebrah

sup
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I can confirm. My sister is a gunner lol. I fu$#$ked around in highschool and learned the hard way. My sisters been gunning since freshman year and is going to an ivy league. I am proud of her and wish I had learned from my mistakes earlier.

Me? I'm currently attending a state public university, but I am successful. OP don't worry about others. Work your hardest and keep your eye on the prize. We all make mistakes, the winners just learn from them!

TheWeeIceMan

And like that... *poof*... he's gone.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
No need to have such a chip on your shoulder. Right or wrong, CC classes have a reputation of being less rigorous than classes at universities. I'm sure your classes weren't easy, but adcoms have no way of differentiating class difficulty between CCs. Just take a upper level courses and do well and you should be okay.

Reactions: DokterMom and Kinch

pietachok

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I don't know where you're seeing all of this CC bashing on SDN. There are plenty of people on here who have done the CC->4 year transfer. And I don't know why you're so angry -- it seems like you're taking rational/logical advice to others as a personal affront. Most of the advice against taking pre-requisites at a CC that I've noticed seems to be geared toward non-trads, people who have a blemished academic record from years when they were not pre-med, and people who have never taken rigorous science coursework in college.

OP, people like yourself, who will complete their education with multiple upper level science courses at a 4 year school, are using pre-reqs only to satisfy/prove they have the necessary foundation for medical coursework. Taking your pre-reqs at a CC is fine in your situation, b/c all of those classes you took for engineering 3rd and 4th year prove that you are not only academically/intellectually capable of performing in med school, but also that you know how to budget time and deal with the logistics of such a schedule.

However, people who have been out of school for a long time, who took nothing but humanities courses in college, or who bombed their first year of college due to (understandably) acting like a teenager need their pre-reqs to serve an additional purpose -- proof that they can handle the rigor and stress of medical school. For those people, it is prudent to take your pre-requisites in an environment and within a timeframe that will show you can handle it . . . something as similar to med school as possible (hence SMPs can be the savior of an otherwise doomed academic record).

While some CC's have amazing instructors and courses (i.e. many schools in CA where the entire system is purposefully set up to ensure some students transfer into the university system), overall the goals and standards for CCs are very variable and allow some to offer an inadequate program. Outside of CA, I have lived in communities where the CC serves as a technical school, provides continuing education, and is not really intended to prepare academically ambitious people for further study in the respective field. Some even have underqualified instructors -- I have had several friends teach at CCs without a PhD and/or in a course outside of their field of expertise. This is simply reality, and since it is also reality that adcoms cannot be familiar with 100% of schools, it is a good idea to do your pre-reqs at the best place possible with a full courseload when you are trying to prove yourself, and that this the course of action most likely to be beneficial to an application. This is not the same as saying that all people who do CC pre-reqs are less qualified/competent, less prepared, or will be unsuccessful in applying to medical school.

Last edited:

La Presse

Due to the fact....
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2012
At Caillou's House.
The most rigorous class I have taken to date came from a CC.

Jan 9, 2013
Foggy Frisco
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
There's a lot of n=1 at SDN regarding CCs. It surprises me to no end that the people who want to go into an evidence based profession rely so much on personal anecdote and the parroting of majority opinion in the formation of their own opinions.

Fact is, some institutions do not like CC credits. CCs can be variable but so can universities. Everything comes down to the professor and the strength of the science departments.

Do well on the MCAT to show that your CC adequately prepared you (even though you're doing well in upper division, which already proves this) and you'll get into a medical school. Then feel accomplished in that you've proved the elitist naysayers wrong.

I'm at a CC in California, and I hope to follow in your footsteps.

Reactions: rohirette
Mar 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I personally went to a well respected community college for a year and it was a joke compared to my university. My friend is experiencing the same thing. He had a 2.7 at a 4 year university while taking 12 credits with no job. Now in community college he is taking 18 credit classes and working part time getting a 4.0 and he admits community college is a joke.

WaterIsGood

5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2012
Status
Community college is a joke. My friend had a 2.8 at a 4 year university while taking 12 credits with no job. Now in community college he is taking classes 18 credits and working part time getting a 4.0 and he admits community college is a joke.
Silly comment. Using an anecdote from one cc to paint all ccs as a joke is silly. My undergrad institution was quite easy. Would it be ok for me to generalize all undergrad institutions as easy?

Juvenile logic.

Mar 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
If it was such juvenile logic why is it that most medical schools prefer pre-requisites at a 4 year university over a community college?

Silly comment. Using an anecdote from one cc to paint all ccs as a joke is silly. My undergrad institution was quite easy. Would it be ok for me to generalize all undergrad institutions as easy?

Juvenile logic.

WaterIsGood

5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2012
Status
If it was such juvenile logic why is it that most medical schools prefer pre-requisites at a 4 year university over a community college?
The fact is many applicants have successful cycles with classes taken at ccs. Even at schools that post aforementioned preferences.

Aug 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Regardless of where you went to complete your pre-requisites, prove yourself by killing the MCAT.

I'm really not sure why all the animosity against CCs and against 4-years. The rigor of education of varies all over. That's why we have standardized testing.

Reactions: WaterIsGood

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP, why are you upset? You don't have an MCAT yet, so you haven't been rejected in favor of any of your examples above. If you are bent out of shape over people saying you will be, grow a thicker skin and stop worrying about what other people are thinking or doing. There are a ton of ways to get into med school, even top med schools, so do what you have to and what you can, and forget about anything else.

Random people on this forum have some people believing they need a 4.0 and a 39 along with five publications and an olympic gold metal to get an interview at their in state school. Advisors are almost as good at predicting what you actually need to get admitted as a magic eight ball. There are a handful of interviewers who are biased against CCs, but the huge number of applicants with pre reqs from CCs show that the bias is not ubiquitous. Again, don't get angry about what others are thinking. Do your best, work with what you have, and don't worry about what you can't change,

Mar 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
You don't know if I did or not. So why not give them a call yourself instead of wasting your time arguing?

Didn't know you called "most medical schools," since you apparently know the exact policy of "most medical schools."

Aug 4, 2013
Status
I also completed my pre reqs at a CC.I really don't think it matters as long as your sgpa and cgpa is pretty solid. Just focus on doing extremely well at the MCAT and you should have a decent chance of getting into a good school. Also,dont forget other factors such as volunteering, research, shadowing etc counts too.
Bottom line, getting pre reqs from CC is not the end of the world. Relax and focus on doing extremely well on the MCAT:)

Jan 9, 2013
Foggy Frisco
Status
You don't know if I did or not. So why not give them a call yourself instead of wasting your time arguing?
It is a much more valid assumption to assume that you haven't called most medical schools in the country to find out if they specifically place CC students at a disadvantage (since that is what a preference basically is), than it is for your to assume that most schools will specifically place CC students at a disadvantage.

Away with you.

Mar 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I applied to 55 medical schools when I applied to medical school and asked all of them if my community college grades were going to be looked down on and almost all of them said that they prefer prerequisites at a 4 year university. Now quit wasting my time and get back to your Cali community college Gen chem 1 class.

It is a much more valid assumption to assume that you haven't called most medical schools in the country to find out if they specifically place CC students at a disadvantage (since that is what a preference basically is), than it is for your to assume that most schools will specifically place CC students at a disadvantage.

Away with you.

Jan 9, 2013
Foggy Frisco
Status
I applied to 55 medical schools when I applied to medical school and asked all of them if my community college grades were going to be looked down on and almost all of them said that they prefer prerequisites at a 4 year university. Now quit wasting my time and get back to your Cali community college Gen chem 1 class.
Quite doubtful, e-warrior.

I'll actually get back to getting ready for Thanksgiving, bruh.

WaterIsGood

5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2012
Status
It is responses like this one that validate the need for students to gain real world experience and mature prior to becoming a medical student.

Anyways, I also made my inquiries as an applicant. I was told that cc classes are acceptable. I think that is all that matters.

Reactions: TangoDown
Nov 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I actually just interviewed at a medical school where I was asked to explain why I had CC classes on my school list. It was only a few classes I took to complete some general ed requirements at my University but it seemed like she didnt like that I took CC classes. I was slightly offended lol

Mar 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
How dear you talk about your community college experience in front of TangoDown. Your n=1 experience at a medical school is complete BS. All that matters is what the community college premed advisor says.

I actually just interviewed at a medical school where I was asked to explain why I had CC classes on my school list. It was only a few classes I took to complete some general ed requirements at my University but it seemed like she didnt like that I took CC classes. I was slightly offended lol

Nov 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
How dear you talk about your community college experience in front of TangoDown. Your n=1 experience at a medical school is complete BS. All that matters is what the community college premed advisor says.
I'm sorry I didn't understand your post... Are you asking about why I talked about community college? Well the interviewer asked me about it so I was simply answering the question...

pietachok

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
went back and read the original post, I smell a troll.
I feel like there's been a rash of questionable posts -- similarly angry sounding, defensive, argumentative but just realistic enough to be possibly real -- with new members lately. Maybe the mods should check the ip's out on the new members, b/c it seems like some are the same person.

Mar 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Lol I believe you man. Unfortunately the fact is that most decent MD schools prefer prerequisites at a university over a community college. It doesn't mean people can't get into medical school with community college credits, people get in all the time. There's just a preference mostly because it is assumed that community college is much easier than universities and in the case of my friends and my own experience that is true.

I'm sorry I didn't understand your post... Are you asking about why I talked about community college? Well the interviewer asked me about it so I was simply answering the question...

Aug 22, 2013
California
Status
Pre-Medical
I feel you OP. I'm not getting much information on if taking community college courses, prereqs especially, will cancel you out from getting accepted into a REPUTABLE medical school. Obviously community college won't cancel you out from getting into any M.D. school, but I feel like top 20 medical schools won't take us seriously. I'm currently in my frehman year and will have to spend at least 3 years here before I can transfer to a university. Overall, it'll take me at least 5 years to get a bachelors in a biology based major. Since I'm a biology major, I'm required to take ALL medical prereqs before I can transfer to the university. I'll take upper division science courses there, but I still have a strong gut feeling that I'll be automatically looked over just for attending community college and taking the prereqs there. I'm not even sure if amazing research and great extracurriculars will change that. Anybody seen otherwise? Also, a lot of members on here have an issue with people trying to get into the more reputable schools. They have better residency matches for sure, which will make a difference over all. Plus, who wouldn't want to see how far they could really go? It's not about the so called "prestige" of where you attended. It's about the resources and opportunities that one is presented with at certain medical schools compared to others.

TheWeeIceMan

And like that... *poof*... he's gone.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
I'm not getting much information on if taking community college courses, prereqs especially, will cancel you out from getting accepted into a REPUTABLE medical school. Obviously community college won't cancel you out from getting into any M.D. school, but I feel like top 20 medical schools won't take us seriously.
So, medical schools outside of the top 20 aren't reputable?

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
I'm highly suspicious Op was a troll but if anyone is really that concerned about people looking down on them for going to a CC....well...haters gonna hate.

CC's are great resources and I am glad they exist - especially in this age of rampant tuition inflation - but you should always let your numbers talk for you.

I'll admit I laughed a great deal reading through this thread. As a minority student, I've been looked down upon before. Just do the best you can and dont let the fact that people with more money and better applications are getting into "better" schools than you. Just be thankful we're pursuing a proffession where your undergrad/graduate school only need to be accredited! Those poor aspirant ibankers in high school have to win admission to a target school just to have a shot at the job of their dreams.

Reactions: nvnme
OP
C
Nov 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Call any Allopathic medical school and ask them which they prefer.

Why should they prefer that I take noob material like Bio I and II, Chem I and II, and Physics I and II at a cc instead of a 4 year uni? Scared my grade isn't legitimate? If that was the case, and my cc experience was just baking cupcakes and playing checkers in the class for a 4.0, why did I run through OChem, biochem, and Pchem like they were my wives at my uni?

If Physics wasn't legitimate, why did I use the heat transfer and power engineering at my uni tests as toilet paper when I made my A's?

Math not legitimate? Too bad I made an A in Diff EQ at a 4 year uni.

Bio wasn't legit either? Genetics and A&P shined my shoes.

So...what's the problem?

Mar 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Sorry not in the mood of reading essays on SDN

Why should they prefer that I take noob material like Bio I and II, Chem I and II, and Physics I and II at a cc instead of a 4 year uni? Scared my grade isn't legitimate? If that was the case, and my cc experience was just baking cupcakes and playing checkers in the class for a 4.0, why did I run through OChem, biochem, and Pchem like they were my wives at my uni?

If Physics wasn't legitimate, why did I use the heat transfer and power engineering at my uni tests as toilet paper when I made my A's?

Math not legitimate? Too bad I made an A in Diff EQ at a 4 year uni.

Bio wasn't legit either? Genetics and A&P shined my shoes.

So...what's the problem?

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
So, medical schools outside of the top 20 aren't reputable?
This. They are a SMALL portion compared to most places. Besides, if you only apply to Top 20 schools, you can easily get rejected and be a sad panda :(

OP, who cares? You are obviously not only gonna apply to "Top 20 schools". If they reject you, move onto the other bundles of med schools that will take you. There are plenty of schools to choose from!

OP
C
Nov 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry not in the mood of reading essays on SDN
Then gtfo the thread and gtf-off Chris Rock's obnoxious loud sounding phallus? Not interested in your negativity and I'm not in the mood of reading how you applied to 55 schools.....