Quantcast

So you can't log in the status page if rejected by NU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimastani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to check my status at Northwestern and guess what? It says wrong combination of AAMC ID and the Last Name. I heard someone here say that it means that rejection letter is on its way. Is that true? By the way, if it is true, it is a very lame device of denial on the part of Northwestern. They might as well let you enter and say, "we are sorry" rather than throwing you out as harshly as that. Anyways, good thing I am not going there :eek:

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
danimastani said:
I tried to check my status at Northwestern and guess what? It says wrong combination of AAMC ID and the Last Name. I heard someone here say that it means that rejection letter is on its way. Is that true? By the way, if it is true, it is a very lame device of denial on the part of Northwestern. They might as well let you enter and say, "we are sorry" rather than throwing you out as harshly as that. Anyways, good thing I am not going there :eek:

It maybe just a problem with you computer or theirs. I did get rejected, my status page worked for a while (Even after rejection letter). It doesn't work anymore though.

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
danimastani said:

yeah, sorry man. The same thing happened to my friend last cycle, the website started denying his login and then a week or two later he got a rejection letter. Meanwhile, I hadn't logged in in a while, so I went to check my status and found that I had an interview and was close to missing the deadline for accepting it/lining up a date....they, of course, never informed me via email or snailmail. I agree that its a very lame way to reject someone...just one of many things I didn't like about NU.

Don't let it get to ya, its for the best, and you'll get in somewhere else :luck:

premedgeek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
off topic, but where do we check on NU's statuspage if they have received my recs? (yes, i am an idiot).

danimastani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
premedgeek said:
off topic, but where do we check on NU's statuspage if they have received my recs? (yes, i am an idiot).
Of course, you are not an idiot. It took me a while too :cool: Just go to the link of the supplementary application and it will ask you to enter your AMCAS ID and name etc.,
-Dani

premedgeek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
danimastani said:
Of course, you are not an idiot. It took me a while too :cool: Just go to the link of the supplementary application and it will ask you to enter your AMCAS ID and name etc.,
-Dani

Still can't find it. Is it because I just submitted my secondary tonight? When I first log in, it gives me deadline for stuffs. I don't see any status information on that page. If I click the link for secondary, it just takes me back to the actual secondary. :idea:

preetster

resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My NU status page took about a week to update after I submitted the secondary.

Good luck :D

danimastani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ctwickman said:
...then why are you even concerned about it?
What I meant was, if it is true that I cannot log in because they have rejected me, then Its a good thing that they rejected me and I am not going because it doesn't seem like it is a courteous school to bump you out like that on the pretext that your ID/Name combination is wrong instead of being honest about it.
Hope I make sense.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
danimastani said:
What I meant was, if it is true that I cannot log in because they have rejected me, then Its a good thing that they rejected me and I am not going because it doesn't seem like it is a courteous school to bump you out like that on the pretext that your ID/Name combination is wrong instead of being honest about it.
Hope I make sense.

Well, a formal rejection letter should be coming via snail mail ... but I agree that it is really rude.

SRQGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
velocypedalist said:
yeah, sorry man. The same thing happened to my friend last cycle, the website started denying his login and then a week or two later he got a rejection letter. Meanwhile, I hadn't logged in in a while, so I went to check my status and found that I had an interview and was close to missing the deadline for accepting it/lining up a date....they, of course, never informed me via email or snailmail. I agree that its a very lame way to reject someone...just one of many things I didn't like about NU.

Don't let it get to ya, its for the best, and you'll get in somewhere else :luck:

Where did it tell you that you had gotten an interview? My status page still just tells me when they received my seconday/LORs/fee.

evajaclynn

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't log in anymore either. I agree that its ridiculous that a warning that your name/ID combination must be wrong. Who do they think they're kidding? :(
Oh well.

danimastani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
CanIMakeIt said:
well I can't log in anymore so I guess the thin envelope is coming :)

very rude I will have to say......they should learn from Mayo about how to send nice rejection letters :D
Good one ;)

premedgeek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok i am complete at NU today. How much time I have before I get that dreaded login error?

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
SRQGirl said:
Where did it tell you that you had gotten an interview? My status page still just tells me when they received my seconday/LORs/fee.

if i remember correctly it was on the first page after you login, its hard to miss. If you get an interview you will be able to tell. good luck, hope you like the school....somebody has to, right?

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, people are a bit annoyed by Northwestern's 1 week secondary deadline, group interviews, and of course being rejected.

evajaclynn

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pinkertinkle said:
From what I understand, people are a bit annoyed by Northwestern's 1 week secondary deadline, group interviews, and of course being rejected.

you are 100% correcto.

:cool:

DrRads101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Group interviews were the best ones I had, because they are the most laid back. The deadline lets the office know who is really serious about wanting to go there, and if you got rejected, tough. I got rejected to a lot of schools and didn't like many secondaries but I don't bounce into other threads like this "velocitypedalist" guy who obviously has no interest in the school and is still pissed about applying in the first place.

NU is a popular, good school in an absolute sick location. That comment by velocitypedalist was just plain strange--effectively saying "hope you are the one person that actually likes Northwestern." According to SDN it is a very popular school with applicants and has a lot of positive experiences on the interview feedback page.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ctwickman said:
Group interviews were the best ones I had, because they are the most laid back. The deadline lets the office know who is really serious about wanting to go there, and if you got rejected, tough. I got rejected to a lot of schools and didn't like many secondaries but I don't bounce into other threads like this "velocitypedalist" guy who obviously has no interest in the school and is still pissed about applying in the first place.

NU is a popular, good school in an absolute sick location. That comment by velocitypedalist was just plain strange--effectively saying "hope you are the one person that actually likes Northwestern." According to SDN it is a very popular school with applicants and has a lot of positive experiences on the interview feedback page.

Come on man, let the people who have heard bad news hate on the school. It lets out pent up frustration and is good for their health, and they don't really mean it, so let it be. Everyone knows the caliber of the school.

DrRads101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Shoot away. I just thought it was a strange comment ("somebody [out there] has to like the school").

TravellinDoc

So very very tired.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is rediculous. stop bitching about a school just cuz you got rejected! everyone gets rejected from some school. I hate this" i didn't want to go there anyways cuz they suck to reject me" crap. If you really didn't like the school, why did you apply there in the first place? Obviously you saw something you liked. Just suck it up and stop being such a sore loser! I too applied there and got rejected via the "bumpoff" method, but if they had recinded that rejection and given me an interview, you bet your a$$ i would have gone to it. Rejection sucks, but that's why we apply to 20+ schools.

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ctwickman said:

well since I'm "this velocitypedalist guy" i suppose I should respond...

Group interview: No problem with it. I actually liked it, it was a nice change of pace from the standard one on one (or two) style interviews.

2ndary deadline: I did have a problem with this. Maybe some mailing complications played into this...but by the time I actually physically recieved my secondary it was 4 days before the deadline. I had three tests that week, and would have much rather put it off until the next week. I tried to request an extension, but the deadline for that passed before I had even recieved the 2ndary. It wasn't a big deal, I got it done and sent it in, but it struck me as rude and inflexible on their part.

rejected by NU?: no

The school?: I agree with you, its a great school in a siiiiick location (I'm from chicago, its my favorite city in the US and NU is in a fantastic part of the city)

The students and my fellow interviewees?: didn't care for them. I don't want to go on some rant against them, but I'll just say I found them rude and condescending...even a bit mean sometimes. I spoke to a friend of mine from the 2007 class and confirmed what I suspected about the class. Just not my kind of class, that's all.

My comment wasn't meant to read "hope you are the one person that actually likes Northwestern." I'm sure there are a bunch of great applicants who will find NU to be a great fit. Its a good school in a fantastic location and I'm sure there are people that 'click' with the student body really well...I'm just not one of those people, and I feel a little removed from that type of person.

Sorry if you read anything more into my statement. You should apply to and interview at a wide range of schools to see which environments you like.

IndyZX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ctwickman said:

the school also seems to polarize students and applicants for some reason. whatever it is, its kind of a turnoff.

DrRads101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IndyZX said:
the school also seems to polarize students and applicants for some reason. whatever it is, its kind of a turnoff.

I'm not sure what you mean by this... how does a school "polarize students and applicants," and what does this even mean, that students don't want applicants to get in?

If that's what you mean, nothing could be further from the truth here. In fact, the school sends a personal email to everyone who went to your school that goes here if you interview so that that person can talk with you one on one.

DrRads101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
velocypedalist said:
The students and my fellow interviewees?: didn't care for them. I don't want to go on some rant against them, but I'll just say I found them rude and condescending...even a bit mean sometimes. I spoke to a friend of mine from the 2007 class and confirmed what I suspected about the class. Just not my kind of class, that's all.

Well that's a really poor generalization of 170+ students per class based upon a few minute impressions during a single interview day. How many actual students did you interact with and talk with on interview day? I take offense at your statement because it follows, then, that I am one of these people you "didn't care for." There are over 170 students in our class, just keep that in mind if you are going to generalize them as rude or condescending because that is a lot of different personalities, and 90% of us aren't going to swing by the admissions office just to try and win you over so you can't get a feeling, from any school mind you, for what the class is actually like.

And the same people that interview here interview at many other places, so it's not like there is some special group of people that interview here that are exclusivey rude. Interviews are sometimes competitive and NU is very big on weeding the competitive gunner types OUT at the interview. It's what the cooperative group interview is for! I can tell you with CERTAINTY that our class (2008) is the happiest, closest knit group of kids I have EVER been around and these are obviously people who are not rude or condescending because I have to be in small group discussions with them every day. I have literally never been around as many people who are joking around and smiling throughout the day in my entire life, and I am not just hyping this up. That atmosphere is totally non-competitive and all very group oriented and cooperative--the curriculum is set up that way on purpose. I have never seen even a HINT of anyone being condescending toward another person here. It is my belief that those people honestly get weeded out when they interrupt or show-boat at the group interview. NU is the only school I interviewed at that had a system in place, during the admissions process, that was specifically designed to weed out rude, condescending people.

coincidental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
sounds like a couple of Northwestern students have joined in...so I'm going to go ahead and ask a question.

I was complete at NW weeks ago (9/15) and I have heard nothing since then. I can still log into the system, but no action has been taken. Other applicants I know that were complete at the same time/after me have heard, so I'm wondering, would a letter of intent be appropriate? I'm very interested in the school, but I was honestly expecting a rejection weeks ago. At this point, I'm hopeful and the longer they keep me, the more hopeful I get.

What do you think?

DrRads101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
coincidental said:
sounds like a couple of Northwestern students have joined in...so I'm going to go ahead and ask a question.

I was complete at NW weeks ago (9/15) and I have heard nothing since then. I can still log into the system, but no action has been taken. Other applicants I know that were complete at the same time/after me have heard, so I'm wondering, would a letter of intent be appropriate? I'm very interested in the school, but I was honestly expecting a rejection weeks ago. At this point, I'm hopeful and the longer they keep me, the more hopeful I get.

What do you think?

Couple of thoughts I have for you from what I know about our class...

1) Avg GPA 3.7, Avg MCAT 11.1--make sure your stats are competitive with this

2) From what I have seen of interviewers and of my class makeup, Northwestern likes to hand pick 1 or 2 people from each school. What I mean is, there is not a school where an overwhelming number of people have gone (besides obviously NU undergrad). Like I am the only guy from UNC in my class even though many apply, there is only 2 UW-Madison students even though that school gives out a huge number of applications to NU med. So what I am trying to say is that what they don't tell you, that I feel from looking at my class, is that if you go to a school that doesn't produce an overwhelming number of NU med applications, it is to your advantage. The school really tries to pull a class together where as many people as possible went to different schools (like there aren't 20 people from Yale and 20 people from Harvard like some schools). This I only learned once I started class. You name it and we have one student who went there for undergrad--get what I mean? There are probably close to 100 schools represented here, maybe more.

3) I was CLEAR in my essay that NU was my #1 choice. It was indeed my #1 choice and I let them know that. So I feel a letter of intent, of which one of my essays basically was, can definetly help your chances. A letter of intent would be appropriate. The dean definetly seemed to like that I knew I wanted to go there, as many people that interview at many schools are usually "shopping around" and don't know where they want to go. When I told her that this is where I wanted to be, I remember she took note of that on a pad of paper. I did get in so you can read into that what you may, but I feel it helped because her reaction to that was positive.

If you have any other q's I'll try to help.

coincidental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ctwickman said:
Couple of thoughts I have for you from what I know about our class...

1) Avg GPA 3.7, Avg MCAT 11.1--make sure your stats are competitive with this

2) From what I have seen of interviewers and of my class makeup, Northwestern likes to hand pick 1 or 2 people from each school. What I mean is, there is not a school where an overwhelming number of people have gone (besides obviously NU undergrad). Like I am the only guy from UNC in my class even though many apply, there is only 2 UW-Madison students even though that school gives out a huge number of applications to NU med. So what I am trying to say is that what they don't tell you, that I feel from looking at my class, is that if you go to an uncommon school, it is to your advantage. The school really tries to pull a class together where as many people as possible went to different schools (like there aren't 20 people from Yale and 20 people from Harvard like some schools). You name it and we have one student who went there for undergrad--get what I mean? There are probably close to 100 schools represented here, maybe more.

3) One of the reasons I felt I got in, besides I had good stats but I am a white male which I think hurts me in the admissions office, was because I was CLEAR in my essay that NU was my #1 choice. It was indeed my #1 choice and I let them know that. So I feel a letter of intent, of which one of my essays basically was, can definetly help your chances.

If you have any other q's I'll try to help.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I really appreciate it.

Anyway, don't have an mdapplicants profile so...

1)I have 11s across the board in MCATs, CumGPA=3.59, SciGPA=3.64, but with a strong upward trend. My last year was 3.8 in both. I'm an engineer too, but that probably doesn't matter much.

2)This might be my doom. I come from a big-name university, with many, many premeds. Not so many engineers premeds from the school, but the bio department is huge.

3)Sounds like a letter might be a good call though.

Thanks again!

DrRads101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
coincidental said:
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I really appreciate it.

Anyway, don't have an mdapplicants profile so...

1)I have 11s across the board in MCATs, CumGPA=3.59, SciGPA=3.64, but with a strong upward trend. My last year was 3.8 in both. I'm an engineer too, but that probably doesn't matter much.

2)This might be my doom. I come from a big-name university, with many, many premeds. Not so many engineers premeds from the school, but the bio department is huge.

3)Sounds like a letter might be a good call though.

Thanks again!

NU likes to admit engineers too, so that helps. And how many pre-meds the school produces I don't think matters as much as, are a huge percentage of them applying to NU? Take what I say with a grain of salt regarding what school helps/hurts your chances here, but all I know for a fact is that the undergraduate institutions represented in my class is amazingly diverse. We're talking max 4 people from any single school besides NU, with most people being the only person from their undergraduate school here. They really like to pick from different colleges across the country here. A big-name university, and one that is not near Chicago, is probably a good thing.

Good luck!