So you wake up late and have only 10 minutes to get to rounds/clinic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedoctor8706

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...what would you pick, arriving on time or not smelling/looking like a heap of garbage? Semi-serious question. We've all had that moment when we miss an alarm and end up running behind schedule, so if you wake up late one morning, what do you think looks worse to your attending, showing up 5 minutes late or looking like you just rolled out of bed?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. If it'll be a day where I won't move around much and e separate from others (like a full lecture day), then I go straight there.

Otherwise, I text my classmates who are on the rotation and tell them to cover for me b/c I'm running late. They've been cool about it b/c I cover for them too.

I haven't had that moment yet where I'm running late while being the only student on a service.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Be on time. If you are lucky enough to be able to ask a classmate to preround for you/help out til you arrive, go ahead and that may give you a couple extra minutes. But try to be on time for rounds at all costs; showing up late for rounds is going to be far more memorable in a negative way to the attending/residents you are working with.
If you look disheveled, they may just assume you are post-call (assuming you take call on the rotation) or may not even notice. You can always try to get away for a few minutes later on in the morning to get yourself more together. However, most of the time, if you are running late, you think you look worse than you actually do.

I was wondering what the average thought was, I had two attendings tell a classmate and I opposite things yesterday, one right after the other. Fortunately not because we were late or looking like slobs, but it made me wonder what the consensus was. Thanks for the replies!

I tell everyone who works under me (interns and students) - you get one.

Everyone can have the fluke event happen - the alarm doesn't go off, the power goes out, the car won't start. That's fine. But you only get one. After that, it is officially a problem.

...what would you pick, arriving on time or not smelling/looking like a heap of garbage? Semi-serious question. We've all had that moment when we miss an alarm and end up running behind schedule, so if you wake up late one morning, what do you think looks worse to your attending, showing up 5 minutes late or looking like you just rolled out of bed?

This happened to me at the end of my away rotation, except I actually woke up late. I slept in my scrubs that I grabbed as I left the night before, so I just grabbed shoes and ran out of of the door. When I got to the hospital, the parking lot was completely full, so I parked at a correctional facility across the street and asked them if it was okay to park there. I ended up showing up about an hour late to morning rounds/report.

It worked out okay for me though. Since it was at the end of the rotation, they knew I was a hard worker...They had actually been teasing me all month about how hard I worked. After rounds, I approached the attending in charge and said, "I'm really sorry I was late for rounds this morning. I'm just so lazy, you know?" He looked at me and said, "Yeah, I know. I'm surprised you even showed up at all." Laughed and said, "Don't worry about it." Later, he found out that I was late because I was with a case until about 2 AM the previous morning. He approached me and called me a lunatic.

The advice I guess I'm trying to give you is this: Work hard, don't make excuses, and everything will work out for you. Oh, and show up as soon as possible, looking like a slob if necessary.

Rub your hands inside your car engine bay/car rims... spread around forearms and a bit on your face. Run to clinic and just say these words: ****ing flat tire... sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're supposed to be wearing dress clothes, then definitely throw those on. Shower is optional. Just put on deodorant so you don't rank of BO all over the place, unless you went from a perspirous event directly to bed the previous night. In which case, you lucky SOB, you.

That's why I ALWAYS shower twice a day. Once when I wake up, and once before I go to sleep. If I wake up on time and can get my morning shower in, great! It wakes me up and is relaxing. However, if I end up oversleeping, I can comfortably just put on deodorant and get dressed, knowing I probably don't smell that bad since I didnt sweat while sleeping

Are you rolling in **** before you go to bed? Be on time and wear deodorant. Should never be too hard to do both

Family Medicine or Opt Psych? I shower and show up 5 minutes late.

Surgery, IM, Inpt Psych, or really any inpatient? I make sure I don't stink and show up on time

This happened to me at the end of my away rotation, except I actually woke up late. I slept in my scrubs that I grabbed as I left the night before, so I just grabbed shoes and ran out of of the door....

The same thing happened to me. Mine was during a surgery rotation where you're on time, you see your patients or you die. My phone died, no alarm. I texted (from my computer) to my classmate when I woke up (right when rounds were starting), told them to tell the residents my exact situation (phone died). I showed up ~45 min late, as rounds were ending. It was later in the rotation and they said it was alright - crap happens and everybody gets one. Didn't affect my evaluations from them and they just joked about it.

^^ Same situation happened to me. Phone died, alarm didn't go off, etc. etc. All the seniors said "every student gets one" and we moved on.