So you want to know what it is like to be a retail Pharmacist?

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
http://www.theangrypharmacist.com/archives/2009/07/a-profession-of-fighting.html

I vote we put this as a sticky.

This is the Angry Pharmacists latest post. I think it sums up the current state of the profession and answers the question; what is it like to work in a retail pharmacy better than I have ever seen.

***WARNING*** This is the Angry Pharmacists blog. HE is angry and uses strong off color language. If you are at work or get offended easily you should not click on the above link. If you get offended easily then get the hell out of here you have no business being in pharmacy.

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Status
Pharmacist
wow that sums it up pretty well.

I feel that everyday I would work one would feel that everyone was trying to stick it to me.

But you get a lot of patient contact:soexcited:

BanBidil

10+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
http://www.theangrypharmacist.com/archives/2009/07/a-profession-of-fighting.html

I vote we put this as a sticky.

This is the Angry Pharmacists latest post. I think it sums up the current state of the profession and answers the question; what is it like to work in a retail pharmacy better than I have ever seen.

***WARNING*** This is the Angry Pharmacists blog. HE is angry and uses strong off color language. If you are at work or get offended easily you should not click on the above link. If you get offended easily then get the hell out of here you have no business being in pharmacy.

Yeah yeah, and then there is the angriest pharmacist and they formed their cute little "pharmacy alliance". In a chain pharmacy where most (not all) people show up for a paycheck, it does suck, especially if you were dumb enough to sign their contract as an intern and they sent you to a po dunk town or real ghetto area.

Ladies and gentlemen PLEASE do not listen to these losers (not you deb downer, the people writing the blogs). All they do is highlight the bad in community Pharmacy. There are ways to make community pharmacy work by finding niche (compounding, 340B, clinical trials etc.) markets and serving your patients. Hell even taking charge of the store you work will change things rather than complaining. Yes its alot of work initially but if you can manage the people you work with efficiently things can be easier. AMP reimbursement in congress are getting better and who knows what things will be like post-Obama's health reform plan, if different at all.

About the Ads

Kirbypuff

Worldling
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
This should be stickied if we can find another blog written by the happy pharmacist. I found that blog to be quite accurate but it does focus too much on the problems. There are about seven smooth transactions per one bad transaction, but I guess it's easier to remember all the things that were annoying and inefficient. There are plenty of cooperative patients and helpful American insurance operators we're never thankful about. Plus, the inefficiencies and problems are why people are irreplaceable to computers. Just put on your rose-colored shades before you walk into work. I would be bored out of my mind if work was too perfect. Gimme some drama! :D

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I'm a happy pharmacist but I'm not a retail druggist.

Then again, I've always been happy.. except for the spring of 1988.

Kirbypuff

Worldling
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Wow, that's actually not funny. :mad:

Have you not heard what happened?
O.O crap, did I just put my foot in my mouth? :oops:
I obviously have no clue.
SORRY Z!! Bad kirbypuff!

powertoold

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
I don't understand why there's so much patient hate. Honestly, patients are patients because they have some problem. That problem may be frustrating, so they will take it out on the pharmacist, etc. There's no reason to be angry at the patient. When I interned at the retail pharmacy, I was surprised at how easily the techs and RPhs got ticked off at patients. Personally, I find no reason to be mad at some patient's words. If they hit me, then that's another story.

The thing we have to worry about aren't patients. We have to worry about the corporations taking advantage, but the problem is we don't really care about taken advantage of as long as the 120k paycheck comes, so we'll continue to take it in the butt.

About the Ads

powertoold

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
How long did you intern for?
Only 80 hours. I personally encountered only 3-4 rude customers that complained like AP described. I can't see myself ever thinking "patients are the bane of pharmacy" like AP though.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Why did your puppy run away that year?:)
I once heard that Nebraska is so flat, you can see your puppy run away for 3 days...

I had a psycho gf who drove me nutz in spring of 1988. That's all.

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

Kirbypuff

Worldling
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I once heard that Nebraska is so flat, you can see your puppy run away for 3 days...

I had a psycho gf who drove me nutz in spring of 1988. That's all.
Psycho gf's are the best!! I am one myself :) Did you end up marrying her?

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
About the Ads

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
May 15, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
It all depends on the demographics of your pt population. Stereotyping does actually apply despite what you were taught in school. I'd say for every 10 normal pts you'll get 1-2 rude/complaining ones. Not bad if u ask me.

You will always have addicts...it's just part of the game.

People are there for a reason...sometimes it's easy things like BP, high cholesterol, etc.

They might be really sick...they're kid/mother/brother might be really sick...we're (the pharmacy) usually the last leg of a day full of BS doctor visits...so expect them to be in a ****ty mood. (I usually am, aren't u?)

They might be let's just say, "unstable"...if they're trying to get a refill on a an antipsychotic that has none remaining...and they're getting a little annoyed...just smile, give them a few tabs and get them the **** out!

The really annoying ones usually have super low co-pays and get pissed if it goes up $2. Just blame it on the insurance and get them out the door before they ask u to call FOR THEM. (no coverage and pa's are one thing...but I'm not arguing with your insurance about your co-pay...you got the notification letter d'bag) Equally annoying are Medicaid pts who contribute jack to society and want everything for free e.g. "What? why is my co-pay $3? You gotta fix that it's supposed to be $0."

If they are getting pissed because you can't fill their opiate for 7 more days...and then they call you every day...or come back other days when they know your not there and tell people, "well so and so said i could pick it up!" Go extra slow so they transfer scripts. If they really need it they can have their Dr call you to let u kno it's all good and they can pay cash.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
It all depends on the demographics of your pt population. Stereotyping does actually apply despite what you were taught in school. I'd say for every 10 normal pts you'll get 1-2 rude/complaining ones. Not bad if u ask me.

You will always have addicts...it's just part of the game.

People are there for a reason...sometimes it's easy things like BP, high cholesterol, etc.

They might be really sick...they're kid/mother/brother might be really sick...we're (the pharmacy) usually the last leg of a day full of BS doctor visits...so expect them to be in a ****ty mood. (I usually am, aren't u?)

They might be let's just say, "unstable"...if they're trying to get a refill on a an antipsychotic that has none remaining...and they're getting a little annoyed...just smile, give them a few tabs and get them the **** out!

The really annoying ones usually have super low co-pays and get pissed if it goes up $2. Just blame it on the insurance and get them out the door before they ask u to call FOR THEM. (no coverage and pa's are one thing...but I'm not arguing with your insurance about your co-pay...you got the notification letter d'bag) Equally annoying are Medicaid pts who contribute jack to society and want everything for free e.g. "What? why is my co-pay $3? You gotta fix that it's supposed to be $0."

If they are getting pissed because you can't fill their opiate for 7 more days...and then they call you every day...or come back other days when they know your not there and tell people, "well so and so said i could pick it up!" Go extra slow so they transfer scripts. If they really need it they can have their Dr call you to let u kno it's all good and they can pay cash.
Which is why I do as much as I can to deflect anger from us and turn them (patients) against their physician and his/her staff. The staff is who I hate at the physician's office. Every time I go to my physician, unless I have my iPod on, it is so easy for me to eavesdrop on a conversation that the secretary is having with another patient since they talk so damn loud.

One time, I almost wanted to slap a bitch because the secretary just said to the patient, "the prescription will be ready when you get to the pharmacy" :eek:

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
One time, I almost wanted to slap a bitch because the secretary just said to the patient, "the prescription will be ready when you get to the pharmacy" :eek:
"Does Wayne Brady gotta slap a b****?" :laugh::laugh:

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
NYC, Baby!
Status
Medical Student
How long did you intern for?

Think of many retail places like its lord of the rings. You're little frodo trying to do a good deed. Then all those goblins (or whatever they're called) are trying to bring you down any chance they get.
I believe the word you're looking for is "orcs."

About the Ads