So your saying there's a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Martin10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, I appreciate whatever frank and honest opinions you all have and also I realize that I may be beyond hope but I have been thinking about giving med school a try so here I go.

Undergrad was a disaster, BA biology and global health minor CumGPA:2.6 & SciGPA:2.3. I have my fair share of excuses(Family, Money and Health Problems) but still...

Did well on the GRE managed to get into an MPH in Epidemiology program. Wrote a thesis, got published, worked on research. GPA: 3.5

Currently, am working internationally on infectious disease epi research and have multiple publications and international presentations. 2 Yrs experience.

No MCAT score yet...

So right now I am tinkering with the idea of taking the MCAT and doing some sort of Post-Bacc to make up for Undergrad and get some solid pre-med grades or go back to my life in Public Health.

Does this seem plausible? Any suggestions?

I also have a lot of volunteer hours in hospital and non medical settings in case that matters.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your research is fine, as is your masters GPA. Make sure you get some nonmedical/clinical volunteering as well as shadowing. While you're getting those make sure you go back and repeat as many science classes as you can. This should raise your DO GPA substantially. Then take your MCAT, get a 30+ and apply :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not 100% sure about the rules AACOMS uses to replace grades, but I believe as long as the course is worth as many units as the one to be replaced, it counts.

Check Pre-Osteo for further clarification.

You'll have to go back and do undergrad classes and raise your cGPA to 3.0 and then apply to an SMP.

Its a looooong road

I'm not 100% sure about the rules AACOMS uses to replace grades, but I believe as long as the course is worth as many units as the one to be replaced, it counts.

Check Pre-Osteo for further clarification.
To invoke grade replacement for AACOMAS, the credit hours should be the same or greater. You don't have to retake classes at the same school. The name of the class need not be identical, but the course description needs to be very similiar.

So I would have to:

1) Go back retake undergrad class
2) Go to a SMP
3) Then Apply to DO school

Is there anyway I could still go for MD?

Is a SMP advisable instead of a Post-Bach since I already took the Pre-med course load.

Also, If I do well on the MCAT could I skip retaking the undergrad classes, I do have a decent masters GPA?

Sorry I have so many questions here, seems like a crazy road to try and make this happen but at least I know what I am up against here.

An SMP is for someone who did the pre-reqs

No, you cant skip undergrad classes with such a low GPA

You can do MD providing you rock your undergrad classes, the MCAT and an SMP and get a bit of luck.

Your road map listed is exactly what you have to but you can also apply to MD and hope like hell

You won't be able to get into an SMP without a higher GPA and a decent MCAT. If you retake some of your undergrad classes with low grades (raising your GPA faster due to grade replacement) and apply to an SMP affiliated with a DO school (CCOM & PCOM, I think), you can get into an SMP sooner than by trying to get into one affiliated with an MD school, where the application will average in all classes taken.