So You're In, Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpaux

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hurrah, Congrats, whatever -

So if you were fortunate enough to get an acceptance already or will get one next week, what does this do to the admissions process?
Will you retract your application at schools you are not interested in?

Feel free to hijack this post for other questions about what Oct. 15 means for the applicant pool.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, getting into vandy means that I walk into the rest of my interviews like I own the damn joint. Which could be bad, or it could be good.

are we even having this conversation on oct. 10?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally haven't gotten in yet, but if I do, I'm going skiing.

DarkFark said:
I personally haven't gotten in yet, but if I do, I'm going skiing.

I'm going skiing regardless of whether I get it. Steamboat, baby!

:thumbup: That's how I will feel after getting accepted at my first choice too.

dajimmers said:
I'm going skiing regardless of whether I get it. Steamboat, baby!

Steamboat's nice and all, but I'm partial to Vail :p.

Skiing's nice, but I'm partial to scuba diving.

I'm not sure what my first choice is yet, and probably won't know until after the interviews. So if/when I get accepted somewhere, it won't really be the end of the story....

Last year Crested Butte had the most AWESOME powder - hip deep in March with a base of 100+ inches (something ridiculous like 140 or 160 i think...). For the past three years, the best snow in Colorado has been on the western slope - Powderhorn (itty bitty ski area with no lift lines but several nice blues and two or three black runs), Telluride (need I say more?), and Crested Butte (home of the winter XGames). Vail has been pretty darn dry, as has most of the mountains past about Steamboat. Besides, Vail and Steamboat have horrible lift lines unless you happen to have a gold pass. AND they're expensive. $75 for a lift ticket? YIKES! I'd rather pay $27 or $35 on our western slope ski areas.

And I hate to tell you this, but the ski areas aren't open yet. Sorry. Look at www.coloradoskicountryusa.com . Eldora, Wolf Creek, and Arapahoe all say they're "open soon". But no dates. The earliest projected opening dates are in November. We did, however, just get a hellish storm up in the Rockies to start things off well. :D

Praetorian said:
Skiing's nice, but I'm partial to scuba diving.

IS that your little one in the picture with you?

riceman04 said:
IS that your little one in the picture with you?
Yeh, is that you baby? :love:

ShyRem said:
Last year Crested Butte had the most AWESOME powder - hip deep in March with a base of 100+ inches (something ridiculous like 140 or 160 i think...). For the past three years, the best snow in Colorado has been on the western slope - Powderhorn (itty bitty ski area with no lift lines but several nice blues and two or three black runs), Telluride (need I say more?), and Crested Butte (home of the winter XGames). Vail has been pretty darn dry, as has most of the mountains past about Steamboat. Besides, Vail and Steamboat have horrible lift lines unless you happen to have a gold pass. AND they're expensive. $75 for a lift ticket? YIKES! I'd rather pay $27 or $35 on our western slope ski areas.

And I hate to tell you this, but the ski areas aren't open yet. Sorry. Look at www.coloradoskicountryusa.com . Eldora, Wolf Creek, and Arapahoe all say they're "open soon". But no dates. The earliest projected opening dates are in November. We did, however, just get a hellish storm up in the Rockies to start things off well. :D

hhehehe, thanks for the brief. Actually, the only way I can get to Colorado is if I tag along with my parents. Thats how I got to Vail, Aspen, and Steamboat. However, my rents don't ski anymore, so that's probably not an option this year (although maybe one of those cheaper CO resorts).

My plan is to go to the Poconos (good old Camelback) to get my ski legs back and then hit Vermont (Killington perhaps?) in January. Then maybe go west later. I can do this because I'll be done with school in December.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW: last year our best snow was found in February and March. In fact, the week after Powderhorn closed they got a bunch of snow resulting in over 3 ft of fresh powder. And they were closed. It was enough to make me cry.

Poconos - I grew up in PA and actually worked at Mt. Airy Lodge to pay for college the first time around. So I'm pretty familiar with the Poconos and Killington. Mt. Tom still around?

DarkFark said:
hhehehe, thanks for the brief. Actually, the only way I can get to Colorado is if I tag along with my parents. Thats how I got to Vail, Aspen, and Steamboat. However, my rents don't ski anymore, so that's probably not an option this year (although maybe one of those cheaper CO resorts).

My plan is to go to the Poconos (good old Camelback) to get my ski legs back and then hit Vermont (Killington perhaps?) in January. Then maybe go west later. I can do this because I'll be done with school in December.

I crashed my first car at Camelback. Good times.
My parents just moved to Snowmass. Needless to say, I will be using my company's "work from home" policy liberally. My sister says they have 6" on the ground already (at 9K feet)

unfrozencaveman said:
I crashed my first car at Camelback. Good times.
My parents just moved to Snowmass. Needless to say, I will be using my company's "work from home" policy liberally. My sister says they have 6" on the ground already (at 9K feet)

Oh, was it that nasty-sharp left turn as you go up the mountain (or right turn going down) ? That turn is a beast, especially when the roads are slick. You know, the one near the entrance.

ShyRem said:

Nice, we turned this into a skiing thread :D
I've only skied on the east coast (killington, mt snow, snowshoe) but I'm really excited to go west this year. What would you recommend for a novice? I've never skied regularly (or correctly), but I can handle my east-coast blues. I find that lessons never really helped, and I just learn from experience. What does this mean out in the west? That I shoudl stick to the bunny slope and greens?

oompa loompa said:
I've only skied on the east coast (killington, mt snow, snowshoe) but I'm really excited to go west this year. What would you recommend for a novice? I've never skied regularly (or correctly), but I can handle my east-coast blues. I find that lessons never really helped, and I just learn from experience. What does this mean out in the west? That I shoudl stick to the bunny slope and greens?

which med school has the best local skiing?

Alta, Brighton, Snowbird > all :)

caffeine37 said:
which med school has the best local skiing?
U of Utah, 15 miuntes from the canyons :D

oompa loompa said:

Yay! I started a trend.

ShyRem sounds like the emminent skiing authority on the board, but I've been to Vermont, the Poconos, and Colorado, so I can at least form an opinion here. A Pocono black is roughly the equivalent of a Colorado blue, and a Vermont blue is just a bit easier. Greens are always managable, but in Colorado they'll be WAY longer. That's one of the major differences. A Colorado black diamond might be as steep as a Pocono one, but it'll also be loaded with moguls and be three times longer. I can handle a Pocono black diamond pretty easily, but the ones in Vermont and Colorado really make me sweat it out, and I'm not good enough to recover elegantly if I make a mistake.

sunnyjohn said:
Yeh, is that you baby? :love:
Yes, that's my daughter Lydia and myself. She'll be 7 weeks old this week. Wow, how time flies.....

The other thing to remember about Colorado vs. east coast: east coast has lots of ice. The snow is dense and wet. In Colorado the snow is light and fluffy - you fall and go *POOF* into a snowbank. But this also means a different way of skiing 'cuz you have to keep your tips out of the powder up front, so you have to sit back on your skis more. Always fun to see east coast folks skiing in powder for the first time - their tips go down and it's like stomping on the bottom of a hoe... they go head over skis, ending up buried in a snowbank. :laugh:

As for lessons, my kids have racing lessons every year with the Buddy Werner program (lots of kids go from here to Jr. Olympics and even further), but my husband did the 'learn from experience' thing. He progressed quickly and loves every minute of it. The blacks in Colorado can be pretty rough, especially considering you've got less air than some of the slopes back east (remember, many of our ski areas are about 9,000 feet up). Snowmass actually has a piece of paper in each guest book talking about the decrease of available oxygen due to altitude.

And finally, a disclaimer. I don't ski. Wrecked my ankle a few years ago and have a bunch of resulting scar tissue around the joint that precludes wearing (or even getting into) ski boots. So right now my idea of skiing is lifting the mug of hot cocoa watching my kids zoom past me on the race course. However, my husband and kids ski at least twice a week during the season. :D But I sure have been to a BUNCH of ski areas in my lifetime all over (Colorado, Massachusetts, Vermont, Pennsylvania), but none in Virginia. Yet.

DarkFark said:
Oh, was it that nasty-sharp left turn as you go up the mountain (or right turn going down) ? That turn is a beast, especially when the roads are slick. You know, the one near the entrance.

Yes. I was an idiot. And also 16 with about a month of driving under my belt. Took out a stop sign, and a few saplings, and am still living it down to this day (I ended up going to high school AND college with my passenger)...

Still, it was well worth tearing up the ice all day at Camelback.

Praetorian said:
Yes, that's my daughter Lydia and myself. She'll be 7 weeks old this week. Wow, how time flies.....

That, seriously, is the best avatar. hands down. :love:

unfrozencaveman said:
Yes. I was an idiot. And also 16 with about a month of driving under my belt. Took out a stop sign, and a few saplings, and am still living it down to this day (I ended up going to high school AND college with my passenger)...

Still, it was well worth tearing up the ice all day at Camelback.

i hope those saplings haunt your dreams.....leading to dull dreams FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!

Praetorian said:

Wow, Lydia. That's a really pretty name!! :D

Most of my skiing has been in Michigan (Midwesters Represent!), where "hills" (no, not mountains) might reach the amazing height of 600 ft. Oh, and the snow is more ice than anything else (and mostly man-made). But it's better than nothing in the winter!

Never been out East, but have had the pleasure of skiing Copper, Breck, Keystone, Park City, and Big Sky, with Steamboat coming up this year. Spartan Ski Club trip- 25+ hours on a bus with 50 drunk college students, good times.

Ahh, the very run I skied out West, my friend and I climbed to the very top of Copper. Besides not being able to breathe, and nearly dying in the powder on the backside, it was awesome. Well, I guess that was awesome too.

ShyRem said:

Actually, A-Basin and Loveland will probably open this week or next . . . long before November . . . get ready, it is almost Pow-Pow time!!!!!!!

hakksar said:
Actually, A-Basin and Loveland will probably open this week or next . . . long before November . . . get ready, it is almost Pow-Pow time!!!!!!!
I saw that. Loveland is hoping to open Friday, and A-basin is looking at 10/21 or sooner. Helps that Loveland got 2 feet in this last storm. :)