So you're looking for a job...What should I ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems I've been approached during my first and second years by various attendings to "keep them in mind" for when I finish. I've been to a few conferences, and various groups strike up conversations to gage my interest. Just wondering about things I should be asking, paying attention to, warning signs etc. Everyone seems to paint a nice picture, but how do you filter out the fluff?

Thanks.

PS. looking at hospital based vs academic vs deciding on additional fellowship

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tom Cruise got his, I need to get mine haha

And you will if you look n the right places.
What level of the search are you on? ( fellow, residency etc).
Where do you want to be?
Big city, small city, east coast, south, mid west or west.
It all varies on what/where you want to be and how far along are you to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Where do you want to be?
It all varies on what/where you want to be and how far along are you to be done.
What kind of job are you looking for? CCM only? Advanced/interventional bronch procedure monkey? Outpatient pulm only? Mixed community PCCM gig? Academics?

Add that one to the list @tartesos made.

Reactions: 1 user
Where do you want to be?

Halfway through pulmcc fellowship. I'm Canadian, so not sure if I can go to the big cities yet.... J1 waiver jobs = joy #sarcasm
The main issue is what should I be asking in these interviews so I don't get screwed over. I prefer more of an academic role, but I'm cool with a good mix of CC and pulm. Not looking to be strictly one or the other. I may have to do both for the waiver job.

I'm thinking of applying for interventional, but will wait to see if I like it after my elective.

Halfway through pulmcc fellowship. I'm Canadian, so not sure if I can go to the big cities yet.... J1 waiver jobs = joy #sarcasm
The main issue is what should I be asking in these interviews so I don't get screwed over. I prefer more of an academic role, but I'm cool with a good mix of CC and pulm. Not looking to be strictly one or the other. I may have to do both for the waiver job.

I'm thinking of applying for interventional, but will wait to see if I like it after my elective.

What are your chances of getting a waiver?

Very high for pulm cc, non-existent for interventional

You can get one in the middle if nowhere for sure. But you won't be able to be very picky, they literally have you by the balls for 3 y( is it 5 now like they were planning on?).
Some academic centers do offer waivers in the south( I know of 2 where you could get one).

Btw the Interventional will be icing on the cake. A friend of mine got his waiver at an academic center after his IR, and he's not officially just IR, but he's their IR guy now, he's also in the call pool and rotates in consults and Icu but....

You won't be doing an "only interventional" job anyway. Those don't really exist.

If you get the waiver. You simply want to know how much you will work and how much you will get paid. Then 1) ask yourself if you want to work that much. And 2) if you are ok with the amount of work do you think the compensation is fair/are you ok with the deal.

Last edited:
You can get one in the middle if nowhere for sure. But you won't be able to be very picky, they literally have you by the balls for 3 y( is it 5 now like they were planning on?).
Some academic centers do offer waivers in the south( I know of 2 where you could get one).

It is 3 years. If I were to do the IP training in Canada, then it goes down to 2 years of home return service, before I could come back here. If you could PM the academic centers that offer the waivers, I'd appreciate it!