SO_3 (Sulfur Trioxide) All possible resonance structures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many possible resonance structures are there in SO3 where sulfur has a formal charge?

I am counting 8 total theoretical resonance structures, does that seem correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol where did you get this question? There's going to be a lot of theoretical structures and minor contributing structures.

I'm suspecting that you probably aren't counting ionic forms either, which would jack up the number more. The truth is that there is a degree of ionic bonding in anything that has sulfur and oxygen bonded. The EN difference is pretty great.

nothing to do with ionic. Came from an old chem textbook and does not have answer.

How many possible resonance structures are there in SO3 where sulfur has a formal charge?

I am counting 8 total theoretical resonance structures, does that seem correct?
There are three major resonance structures for SO3. These are the equivalent structures where there exist one S=O bond and two S–O bonds. The fourth resonance structure with three S=O bonds is noncontributory due to reasons beyond the scope of MCAT chemistry. Sulfur does not have an expanded octet in SO3, you don't need to know why.
Lol where did you get this question? There's going to be a lot of theoretical structures and minor contributing structures.

I'm suspecting that you probably aren't counting ionic forms either, which would jack up the number more. The truth is that there is a degree of ionic bonding in anything that has sulfur and oxygen bonded. The EN difference is pretty great.
The Pauling electronegativity value difference between S and O is < 1 and is insufficient for significant ionic interaction to occur.
Ignorance is bliss
:rolleyes: