SOAP Question!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtlez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I rank a prelim program at the very bottom of my primary rank list and end up matching there because I didn't match to any categorical/advanced programs above that prelim program, can I still SOAP into a categorical program or only into an advanced program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I rank a prelim program at the very bottom of my primary rank list and end up matching there because I didn't match to any categorical/advanced programs above that prelim program, can I still SOAP into a categorical program or only into an advanced program? Thanks!
Only advanced.

If i match into a transitional year would I be eligible to participate in the SOAP even if I didn't rank any advance programs. Basically, I applied to categorical programs and applied transitional year as a backup. Thanks.

If i match into a transitional year would I be eligible to participate in the SOAP even if I didn't rank any advance programs. Basically, I applied to categorical programs and applied transitional year as a backup. Thanks.
Yes. If you match prelim only, you can SOAP for an advanced spot (but NOT categorical).

Hi,

Does anybody have the experience losing the advanced position due to not getting a prelim in soap?
Regards

Hi,

Does anybody have the experience losing the advanced position due to not getting a prelim in soap?
Regards
I have seen this happen in Neuro. They require a medicine prelim, though.
For the advanced programs that will take either, there is an abundance of surg prelims.

PM&R will take a surg prelim as a first year. There should be plenty of those.

Yes, there are but if 45 programs we can apply, last year I was unmatched and I could not get even one iv in soap.

Yes, there are but if 45 programs we can apply, last year I was unmatched and I could not get even one iv in soap.
Yes, thousands were unable to find a residency position in the SOAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOAP is kind of a wash..............;)