Soap questions, with pgy-2 psych goal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valid username

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I don't match into psych, then I want to do soap, which has few to no psych options. I only have psych letters rigt now, what should the other letters be?

To transfer to psych in year 2, IM > FM, right? Is peds okay, too?

I really don't like the idea of using a program to get somewhere else. Leaving a program with an unfilled spot for pgy2 bothers me. (I don't care if someone else does it, I just know it will bother me.) Are there options that don't leave programs getting screwed? Other than transitional of course, since those spots are for geniuses.

I'm sorry if these questions aren't clear. I know they're not clear--otherwise my google efforts would have yielded better results.

My reason for asking about peds: if i were to complete a residency before applying for psych, peds would be good. I am aware that one isn't much better than psych during soap, though.

Members don't see this ad.

If I don't match into psych, then I want to do soap, which has few to no psych options. I only have psych letters rigt now, what should the other letters be?

To transfer to psych in year 2, IM > FM, right? Is peds okay, too?

I really don't like the idea of using a program to get somewhere else. Leaving a program with an unfilled spot for pgy2 bothers me. (I don't care if someone else does it, I just know it will bother me.) Are there options that don't leave programs getting screwed? Other than transitional of course, since those spots are for geniuses.

I'm sorry if these questions aren't clear. I know they're not clear--otherwise my google efforts would have yielded better results.

My reason for asking about peds: if i were to complete a residency before applying for psych, peds would be good. I am aware that one isn't much better than psych during soap, though.

I doubt there is a difference.

Reactions: 1 user