Social Desirability Bias vs Good-Subject Bias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there much of a difference here? Are they the same thing?

I could see how they could be different, as in a good subject bias -- the subject may tend to answer questions or alter an experiment based on what they think the experimenter wants from the data...

Whereas, the social desirability bias is more based on responses that are within accepted social norms.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there much of a difference here? Are they the same thing?

I could see how they could be different, as in a good subject bias -- the subject may tend to answer questions or alter an experiment based on what they think the experimenter wants from the data...

Whereas, the social desirability bias is more based on responses that are within accepted social norms.

Subject bias
relates to a participant's actions (including responses) during an experiment, while response bias is strictly about a participant's responses. Hence, response bias (e.g., social desirability bias) generally only applies to studies that depend on self-reporting -- surveys, questionnaires, etc.

Also, subject bias strictly relates to a participant's desire to meet an experimenter's expectations, while social desirability bias relates to a participant's desire to meet others' expectations -- not necessarily just the experimenter's expectations.

There are subtle differences, as you can see... but I wouldn't get weighed down by these small nuances. Focus on the big picture. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Subject bias relates to a participant's actions during an experiment, while response bias is strictly about a participant's responses. Hence, response bias (e.g., social desirability bias) generally only applies to experiments that depend on self-reporting -- surveys, questionnaires, etc.

Also, subject bias strictly relates to a participant's desire to meet an experimenter's expectations, while social desirability bias relates to a participant's desire to meet others' expectations -- not necessarily just the experimenter's expectations.

There are subtle differences, as you can see... but I wouldn't get weighed down by these small nuances. Focus on the big picture. :)

awesome thanks. that really helps to clarify the differences!!