Social Events at NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCOMScrubs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there has been some question as to socail events happening at NYCOM, here is a sample of events that have been posted in the last three weeks on the very public student webboard:
(Please note, for obvious privacy reasons, the names of the posters have been deleated as well us certain other personal identifiers.)

#1:

Topic: **Free Movie - Thursday!!** (1 of 1), Read 14 times </wbimages/new.gif>
Conf: AnythingGoes
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 06:55 PM

need a break?
havent been out to a movie on the big screen since Throw Momma from the Train?

come watch...

__________FLATLINERS______________

->Thursday, May 17th at 5pm (just after Neuro tomorrow afternoon)
->NYCOM 2 auditorium (bring a sweater)
->its FREE.
->popcorn, pretzels and sodas provided

starring...
Kiefer "wish I could act as well as my dad" Sutherland, Julia "Brokovich+wonderbra=oscar" Roberts, Kevin "turkey" Bacon, and one of the innumerable Baldwin brothers.

"Hot-shot medical students embark on a series of daring experiments to get a peek at the face of death. Stopping their hearts until the vital signs register as flat lines, they then revive the subject. The group doesn't count on bringing anything back from their near-death experiences, but each does."

bwah! ha! ha! sounds spooky, huh?
just dont try anything like this in family practice.

*presented by AMSA.
AMSA does not condone, permit, or take responsibility for any of the medical practices, philosophies, or bad acting presented by the film.
Watch at your own risk.

#2:

Topic: Holistic Health Forum (1 of 1), Read 14 times </wbimages/new.gif>
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 07:01 PM

FYI -

*Holistic Health Forum*

featuring dozens of alternative healthcare practicioners, lecturers, teachers, and students
including the fields of acupuncture, herbalism, fung shui, yoga, traditional chinese medicine, etc etc.

speakers, classes, hands-on demonstrations, freebies, information, and more

this Saturday, 10am-4pm
$10 admission

in NYC at the Lesbian and Gay Community Center
1 Little West 12th Street at Hudson and Ganesvort.

for more info: 212.620.7310

#3:

Topic: Coffee and Cake Break (1 of 2), Read 145 times
Date: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 05:59 PM

Once again the 1st years are sponsoring a Coffee and Cake Break! See you in the cafeteria at 8pm on Thursday night.

#4:

Topic: NYCOM TRI CLUB (6 of 10), Read 74 times
Date: Sunday, May 13, 2001 11:17 PM

Schedule for week of 5/14

Tues Night: track work out with GLIRC

Wednesday: ?

Thursday: run at NYCOM at 11:00 a.m. in front of NYCOM II 5-6 miles

Friday: No school 10:00 a.m. bike ride
25 miles

Saturday: Bike with Massapequa Park CC
45 miles, or maybe NYACK

Sunday: Ten mile long run with GLIRC

Swim on your own Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Don't forget rule #1 STUDYING COMES FIRST!

#5:

Topic: Happy Hour tomorrow! (1 of 1), Read 155 times
Date: Thursday, May 10, 2001 09:25 PM

What: Happy Hour (free BBQ & no cover)
Where: The Steamboat Tikki bar in Glen Cove
When: 5-7pm (but stay longer if you are having a good time since the band and tikki bar is open til 2am!)

Directions:
Take Glen Cove Rd North to the end (will reach a firestation)
-Make a left at the fire station
-at the second light, make a right onto Shore Rd (across from the Boys and Girls Club)
- continue straight for about a minute and you will see a marina on your right
-Make a right into the entrance (will be a sign that directs you towards the back and to the right of the marina where the Steamboat is)
-Enter outside and Happy hour is in the back.

We hope to see you there! :)

#6:

Topic: Party With The Presidents (1 of 1), Read 141 times
Date: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 07:28 PM

Your new presidents-elect, Student Counciland Class 2004 are having a party. Join us this Friday starting at 4pm until whenever the keg runs dry,the party can continue on if you BYOB.

Directions from school: *Deleted for obvious privacy reasons.

#7:

Topic: CSF Thursday (1 of 1), Read 96 times
Date: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 11:03 PM

After a few crazy weeks for everyone, I thought I should send a reminder that the Christian Student Fellowship will be meeting this and the subsequent Thursdays at noon. We meet in Conf. Rm D - NYCOM III. I have actually had several 1st and 2nd year students tell me they have planned on coming all year, but haven't yet. You are all still invited; please come and join us. It is always a very encouraging time. Sometimes there are quite a few of us, other times only 2 or 3 if there are exams or the like. Regardless, we always leave feeling stronger.

I hope to see you there!!

#8:

Topic: **Get AMSA'ed on Tuesday** (1 of 2), Read 101 times
Date: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 11:39 AM

Just when you thought the year was about over...
Just when you thought your job was done...
Just when you thought we had forgotten all about you...

prepare to Get AMSA'ed!!
(oh brother)

**AMSA Meeting**
**AMSA Meeting**
**AMSA Meeting**

The AMSA exec board is back from a vacation, uh, i mean very critical trip to the
AMSA NATIONAL CONVENTION at Disneyland, CA so exciting youll wish you had been there. really! (and while youll want to be in Houston, TX for next year's)

Find out whats happening in AMSA from the national level to your own backyard. INcluding...

-How DO's at the Convention blew the pants off of all those allopathic wanna-bes.

-How someone tried to abolish Physics as a medical school prereq.

-Reorganization in the ranks - new positions being taken up and now available.
Anyone interested in filling a position and being more involved, especially for newly opened * Treasurer * let us know.

-How you can get involved on the national level in ANYTHING YOU WANT. Believe it, man!

-Whats next for us -> movies (fun to informative), speakers, fundraisers (can you say PDAs?), recruitment for next year, trips to NYC and Virginia

AND MORE!!

When -
Tuesday May 15th, Noon
Bring your lunch and brown bag it with the rest of the AMSA folks

Where -
you guessed it - NYCOM 2 auditorium

AMSA is all about you
so...See YOU there,

-the mickey mouse club-

#9:

Topic: Cranial Study Group-May 9th (1 of 1), Read 86 times
Conf: First Year Messages

Date: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 05:24 PM

As our heads are spinning this week here's
something to look forward to--
Cranial Study Group Weds. May 9th 5-7pm with
Dr. Paul Capobianco

#10:

Topic: Show Time! (1 of 13), Read 415 times
Date: Friday, May 11, 2001 06:25 PM

I was actually considering putting on a play next fall. Maybe to entertain the incoming class, or maybe to raise awareness and money for a medical cause, like toe nail fungus.
I kind of wanted to do a broadway musical. I've been trying to come up with an idea for a student/faculty production. Something finally clicked. The first of many options:

The Wizard of Os(teopathy)

No acting experience necessary, just show up with a lot of enthusiasm.

If someone has suggestions for a different show feel free to submit them.

Topic: Show Time! (10 of 13), Read 89 times
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 09:36 AM

This sounds like a great idea. Speaking for the administration, we will support this in any way needed. This includes the use of the auditorium , media, and funding , within reason.
Let me know what you may need

Topic: Show Time! (11 of 13), Read 51 times </wbimages/new.gif>
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 04:57 PM

Thanks Dr. Schiowitz.

You'll have your show!!

Will have an audition after MDE VII. Need classmates that are going to be local this summer. Will take a big commitment. 2-3 days a week rehearsal for 4-6 weeks. Will need real singers. I don't know who the singers are in the class, but i'm sure there are at least a couple. Let me know if you are interested.
Would like to put on the show for the First years during their first or second week. would like to use theatre at NYIT if they have one followed by refreshments or pizza dinner.

Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 05:32 PM

Here's show option number 2:

The Osteopath on the roof

Here's a sample

Matchmaker scene, Scene V

Light appears stage right. Yenta is sitting out in front of the house with the daughters. She has been called upon to arrange marriages for the girls.

Yenta to girls (In Long Island Jewish accent): You want I should find you a match? (To first girl) Your T8 is posterior, side bent right rotated right. (to second girl) You have a rotational scoliosis. (to third girl) you have a left sacral rotation on a left axis. (to fourth girl)and you have a spondylolethesis.

Girls (break out in song ): "Matchmaker/Bonesetter make me a match, fix my somatic dysfunction, catch me a catch. Night after night I'm a girl all alone in bed tossing from side-to-side with radicular pain.......Fix my dysfunction and make him a perfect match."

Yenta(thinking to herself, then breaks out into song):"Chava, Oh Chava, Have I got a match for you (light comes up on stage left on Laser Wolf) He's big, he's strong, alright he's just a two-ish. But he's a smart man, a good catch, tru-ish? tru-ish? We'll there's more to life than looks or money, at least he's Jewish."

Other songs to include:
"If there were no HMO's i'd be a RICH MAN"
"Is THIS the little girl I married? Sunrise, sunset."

See you at the auditions post MDE VII. Study hard and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey NYCOMScrubs ... I am a soon to be 1st year student at NYCOM come fall and an active triathlete. I was excited to read this post and to learn that not only are there some students at NYCOM that are interested in triathlons, but that they even have a TRI CLUB! Could you possibly supply some more info. or help me get in touch with someone who could? You can either reply to this post or send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks in advance AND thanks for all your positive posts on this network.

-Frosty

The organizer of the tri-club is Joe Jaffe. I'm not sure what his email address is but I'm sure you'll find many postings about the club on the web board next year.