SOCIAL FRATERNITY in the app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suhshi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Ive been part of a social fraternity for the past four years

I want to include in my application that I received a community service award from this, but will the adcoms look down upon the social fraternity aspect? (due to ideas of drinking, smoking, partying all the time....)

Im a bit cautious in placing this in my application, but I would like to hear you feedback.

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I listed all my fraternal positions held and community services performed.
However, I would not have, had I other (stronger?) extracurriclars/volunteer/comm service to fill in all those blanks.

So Ive been part of a social fraternity for the past four years

I want to include in my application that I received a community service award from this, but will the adcoms look down upon the social fraternity aspect? (due to ideas of drinking, smoking, partying all the time....)

Im a bit cautious in placing this in my application, but I would like to hear you feedback.

thanks in advance

i also listed under my app but i tried to highlight only the good things from it (such as community services, leadership positions, etc.)

I cannot comment on whether it helped me or not, but IMO i think it helped me because I had more topics to talk about during my interviews. I also think that it made me to appear as more easy going and social person by being involved in an organization.

I would definitely say go ahead and list your community service award from a social fraternity (also ended up running into one of alumni during the interview who was a dental student, which was a pretty cool experience)

Members don't see this ad :)
i also listed under my app but i tried to highlight only the good things from it (such as community services, leadership positions, etc.)

I cannot comment on whether it helped me or not, but IMO i think it helped me because I had more topics to talk about during my interviews. I also think that it made me to appear as more easy going and social person by being involved in an organization.

I would definitely say go ahead and list your community service award from a social fraternity (also ended up running into one of alumni during the interview who was a dental student, which was a pretty cool experience)

LOL
ive always seen your profile
im a lambda from uc davis

If you had a positive experience with the fraternity, through leadership, community service, etc, then I would include it. The adcom is not so concerned about the social aspects of it. If all it was to you was partying then probably not the best thing to put on the app.

I listed my fraternity experience on my application and it was a great talking point. They may or may not ask you pointed questions about the fraternity, such as drinking, etc, but have some thoughtful replies ready. Its a great way to prove maturity and responsibility.

I would definitely include it since you have been involved for 4 years. It poses for a great interview question. I'm sure they will not see that you are in a frat and think negatively upon you because frats have the image of partying. Definitely highlight the positive things that you have experienced.