Social life at Sackler and BGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanilla60

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am interested in attending either Sackler or BGU. I know I will be studying all the time and I have every intention of doing well in my classes, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the social life is like at these two schools. Is there dating? Do people drink on the weekends? Do people make friends outside of school?

Thank you so much for everything!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I am interested in attending either Sackler or BGU. I know I will be studying all the time and I have every intention of doing well in my classes, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the social life is like at these two schools. Is there dating? Do people drink on the weekends? Do people make friends outside of school?

Thank you so much for everything!

I attend Sackler. In regards to your questions for Sackler, the answers are yes, yes and yes. We live in Tel Aviv. It's a metropolitan city. There is something to do every night of the week. There are great clubs/bars, museums, malls, beaches, historical sites, concerts (Idan Raichel last night), the philharmonic, soccer (England vs. Israel this sat night), great parks, salsa dancing, great restaurants, etc etc.

I cannot comment on the social life of BGU directly. I am sure they have a fun time. However, since it is not placed within in a 'major' city, it will be a different lifestyle.

If a social life is very important to you, Sackler may be your place. Don't get me wrong, we have a blast, but it is not Tel Aviv. He was right, Beersheva is a different experience...

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanilla ... It is my opinion, as a student at BGU and someone with friends at Sackler, that you should base your decision more on your philosophy of medicine rather than social factors. Although Beer Sheva is a smaller immigrant/college town, there is good amount to do whether it is self-constructed fun or something happening on campus or community. We are only an hour and 20 minutes from Tel Aviv so accessing that entertainment is very easy too. More importantly, BGU emphasizes sociocultural aptitude, community health, public health/international health, ethical debates, and educating students more for primary care fields rather than subspecialities. Sackler is more cut and dry - learn the basic sciences, learn competent clinical medicine, then get the best residency possible. If your goal is just get your medical degree and run back to America for a competitive speciality, then Sackler might be a better choice. If you enjoy working with indigant or neglected populations and enjoy the interplay of public health, epidemiology, and human rights than BGU might suit you better. I posted several times last year on similar topics if you'd like more details. Good luck with your decision.

Actually the point of my last post was related to philosophy. If his/her overriding concern during medical school is his social life, not an unimportant concern by the way, I would wager that he has little interest in international medicine. I tend to steer students without expressed international interests toward Sackler...it just seems everyone will be happier that way.

Hey, I'm a fourth year at BGU about to finish my time here. While I agree that Beersheva definitely is not Tel Aviv, and therefore you should compare going to school at BGU v Sackler like going to school in a smaller college town v a big city. Clearly the big city has more things to do, but the smaller town still has bars, clubs, restaurants and movie theatres, just less variety. As a result I would say I still had an avid social life.

Speaking of social lives...we need to get together soon. Gotta get started on our little project...

Speaking of social lives...we need to get together soon. Gotta get started on our little project...

I hope "our little project" means the moonshine still in your backyard. Word to your mother. I'll be back in Beersheva for the rest of the year, we should throw a few on the grill sometime soon old man.