SOCIAL LIFE IN PHARMACY SCHOOL GAY, everyone please read!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmQuestioner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year, I got into a California Pharmacy school, but I'm worried I wont fit in.

For some reason I have this idea that pharmacy is a relatively conservative field. I'm gay and I'm wondering if there is anyone else that got into pharmacy who is also gay. I haven't come out yet but I was hoping to be myself and have people accept me for who I am. Will it affect me getting jobs in pharmacy later on? Should I come out?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how it would be any different then any other field.

Hi OP,
Everyone goes through these kinds of things no matter the orientation.
Just have confidence in yourself, dont go overboard, and you'll be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want this to come off wrong-- but if you keep the homosexual tendencies to a low you don't have anything to worry about. Sadly, in our current society there is prejudice and it might be hard for you to successfully interview / make strong relationships with people.

Don't take what I say as truth, because I believe California may be quite a bit different than my rural southern town.

"We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Last edited:
I also want to interject that I think it is important to not make this thread about his choice (or naturalization) of being homosexual.

Of course you can be successful and build lasting relationships. You've made it into pharmacy school which is an accomplishment, and a California school at that. You will no doubt find people who harbor prejudices (less in big cities, more in small towns), but you will also find people who are kind and welcoming. People's minds aren't changed by debate. But you can be kind, do well in school, and lead by example.

Last edited:
Honestly I think that were no longer living in the 1920's and people are a lot more open and accepting than they used to be especially in california. I go to pharmacy school the south and we have people in our class who are openly gay. IN general no one cares I'm sure there are a few bible thumpers that have a problem with it but if they do they don't treat our gay classmates any differently than our other classmates.
If you want to play it safe just be low key about your sexuality until you get to know people and then you'll know whether they're open-minded or not, but DO NOT give up on your dreams of pharmacy just because you're worried about what people think. If you are true to yourself and confident with who you are most people will accept you.

Don't ask dont tell, let it be like the elephant sitting in the middle of the room, thats what I say!!!

This year, I got into a California Pharmacy school, but I'm worried I wont fit in.

For some reason I have this idea that pharmacy is a relatively conservative field. I'm gay and I'm wondering if there is anyone else that got into pharmacy who is also gay. I haven't come out yet but I was hoping to be myself and have people accept me for who I am. Will it affect me getting jobs in pharmacy later on? Should I come out?

We have 3 openly gay people at my school - and one that is still in the closet (though I think everyone knows now) - No one cares. The people that do care aren't likely to be your friends anyways. If you are comfortable with who you are, you will find friends that are comfortable with you.

I wouldn't worry about it.

at this point in life, you shouldn't be worried that you "won't fit in." You need to take the situation, whatever that may be, and do the best you can with it.

just go to a Northern California school...you can fit in with all the gays in SF, be part of the gay parade, and do all types of fruity things with boys.

We've got at least a couple openly and one flambouyantly obvious about it. While I don't care for the outlandishness of his behavior, he's accepted and currently holds a leadership position in one of the campus organizations. If you want it to be a crutch you'll handicap yourself forever. If you consider it just part of normal life then you'll go much farther.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE'S RESPONSE SO FAR. IT MADE ME FEEL BETTER READING WHATEVER THINKS. I APPRECIATE HONESTY AND BY NO MEANS AM OFFENDED. :D

For me, I don't act gay or flamboyant. I'm not a part of any gay groups. I have always wanted a normal life and a family, but as I live my life... I'm finding that is is becoming harder and harder to discount my sexuality. I try to concentrate on girls... but you can't change who you are. It really blows.

I want to be able to go to pharmacy school and just say that I'm gay. I'm just worried that it makes it harder for me to get acceptance from teachers, job offers, make friends, etc. Pharmacy is a small world, so once someone knows, everyone knows. Once I have decided to come out, there's no going back.

Even in college, I don't feel comfortable expressing myself. For me it was always career and friends first. Not being able to tell others that I was gay made it harder for me in way... that I couldn't be myself. Although I do not act gay, I have gay tendencies, which I think others around me can quickly pick up on, sometimes making it harder for me to make male friends. I want to be treated like everyone else, but I just think no matter how accepting we think Californians are, there is doubt that it will affect my ability to truly fit in, compared to someone else. Do people prefer a person who is proud of who they are (that I am gay and I dont mind tell you about it) or a person that comes out after you have gain the trust of others? I mean I want guy friends to do guy things with and not to be the gay guy... you know?

It just feels that if your not upfront, later on it causes a lot of commotion and gossip. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone! :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE'S RESPONSE SO FAR. IT MADE ME FEEL BETTER READING WHATEVER THINKS. I APPRECIATE HONESTY AND BY NO MEANS AM OFFENDED. :D

For me, I don't act gay or flamboyant. I'm not a part of any gay groups. I have always wanted a normal life and a family, but as I live my life... I'm finding that is is becoming harder and harder to discount my sexuality. I try to concentrate on girls... but you can't change who you are. It really blows.

I want to be able to go to pharmacy school and just say that I'm gay. I'm just worried that it makes it harder for me to get acceptance from teachers, job offers, make friends, etc. Pharmacy is a small world, so once someone knows, everyone knows. Once I have decided to come out, there's no going back.

Even in college, I don't feel comfortable expressing myself. For me it was always career and friends first. Not being able to tell others that I was gay made it harder for me in way... that I couldn't be myself. Although I do not act gay, I have gay tendencies, which I think others around me can quickly pick up on, sometimes making it harder for me to make male friends. I want to be treated like everyone else, but I just think no matter how accepting we think Californians are, there is doubt that it will affect my ability to truly fit in, compared to someone else. Do people prefer a person who is proud of who they are (that I am gay and I dont mind tell you about it) or a person that comes out after you have gain the trust of others? I mean I want guy friends to do guy things with and not to be the gay guy... you know?

It just feels that if your not upfront, later on it causes a lot of commotion and gossip. Please let me know what you think.

I think the key is to neither hide nor display it. If you are dating someone, feel free to say "my boyfriend" (I am assuming you are male). But it is awkward when you go up to someone and say, "Hey, my name is Steve and I'm gay." If it comes up it comes up - don't hide it. But don't make it a big deal and it won't be.

Honesty is the best policy. Its better to be who you are than to try and hide anything. At least then you will always know who your real friends are. If you try and hide the fact that your gay and and make guy friends you will always risk losing those friends if they find out. Thats just the way it goes. I consider myself a very open minded person, but it would still be hard for me to be close friends with someone who was gay. Sad but true. That doesn't mean I would look down on you as a person or be uncomfortable around you in any professional or social setting. But on the bright side there are always people who will accept you for you, and focusing on making connections with those people and not worrying about "fitting in" is what I would think would be the best option. Also, i gotta imagine most pharmacy schools will have very open minded and accepting people. Wish you the best.

I think being true to who you are is most important. Keeping that in mind being gay is only a part of who you are. A person's sexuality doesn't define his/her existence by any means. You wouldn't walk up to someone and say, "Hi, my name is so and so. I'm impatient, fly off the handle a lot and my favorite color is green." It's something that you can choose to share with people that matter. Letting everyone on the planet know you're gay is an option, but not mandatory.

be yourself! I mean its professional school, people are a lot less ignorant. Usually the people who don't accept you for who you are, are the ones you don't want really want to get to know anyway ;)

good luck in pharm school

be yourself! I mean its professional school, people are a lot less ignorant. Usually the people who don't accept you for who you are, are the ones you don't want really want to get to know anyway ;)

good luck in pharm school

Agreed, and if there are ignorant people in pharmacy school, they are a minority and usually keep it to themselves.

I am assuming you are worried because you are attending a Southern California school, right? Southern California is generally not as open-minded as SF, but generally speaking, it's not as bad as it can be in other places in the US.

just go to a Northern California school...you can fit in with all the gays in SF, be part of the gay parade, and do all types of fruity things with boys.

i just had to laugh lol

but yea, california is one of the friendliest and open minded states. Don't worry about it.