Social media in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on all of these accounts that use Instagram, Facebook, YouTube etc while in dental school. What is the purpose they are doing it? Is it for a form of advertising? If so who are they exactly marketing too as they are just students.

I’m asking cause i see more and more accounts popping up almost daily with new dental students and want to know if i am missing something. And if it is for advertising it seems like a good way to market your name for free.
buy just curious who they are marketing too exactly since they are only students

Members don't see this ad.

have you ever heard of content creators? influencers? (youtubers/instagrammers)?

you get free stuff from companies because you have a following and the more following you have, the more companies want to sponsor you, which means you can essentially get paid

(for dental/medical school student accounts I don't think they're getting as much money (if any) compared to other influencers but they definitely still get perks from companies)

... and sure maybe it's a good way to get their name out there even before they become a dentist/start looking for jobs

Ultimately you want to be in a position to brand yourself professionally, and social media strategies are being used by dentists to advertise themselves to the public. I think most students/residents using SM are trying to connect more with friends but should demonstrate a sense of professionalism if they are using their accounts wisely.

It's like free advertisement. Look at people like Dr. Apa. Instagram has made him really famous, and people travel from around the world to see him.