Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Social Medicine?

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by KatieJune, Nov 19, 2005.

1. KatieJune

KatieJune Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone know much about the social medicine tracks within Internal medicine or anyone in such a program? I haven't been able to find many such programs - besides the one at Brigham and Women's.....

Does anyone know about this? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tiene dolor?

tiene dolor? ...for me to POOP on!
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    look no further. :thumbup:

4. KatieJune

KatieJune Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey do you have any personal experience with the program and Brigham and Womens? It seems like that is one of the most competitive IM residencies...yes?

5. pcmd

pcmd New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes! Montefiore Medical Center (the teaching hospital for Albert Einstein College of Medicine) in the Bronx, NYC has an amazing Social Medicine program. Its social medicine department is the oldest of its kind in the country. I'm in the program and was drawn to its unique and comprehensive curriculum. You can visit the following site for more info:
    http://www.aecom-montefiore-medres.org/special_programs/index.html

6. atsai3

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    UNC has a Department of Social Medicine, but not a social medicine residency track.

The closest analogues would be the primary care tracks at some institutions, e.g., UCSF Primary Care IM. You will get a similar cohort of residents.

7. pcmd

pcmd New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To be more specific - the UCSF primary care IM program at San Francisco General will be more similar to a social med program that their Gen Med Primary Care IM program based at Moffet. I had assumed they were the same but when I went out to interview found the faculty interests and patient population to be quite different.

8. KatieJune

KatieJune Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, does anyone know how competitive these programs tend to be (assuming you have a demonstrated interest in social medicine)... I'm about in the middle of my class (rank wise)...I don't think I'll be competitive for programs at Brigham and Womens or UCSF - but are the primary care tracks less competitive? What about the competitiveness of Montefiore? Thanks a lot!

9. atsai3

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Difficult to quantify but I would say that the primary care tracks at BWH and UCSF are not necessarily less competitive than the categorical tracks. The Monty social medicine program is strong and the residents are great, but it is simply not as competitive as BWH/UCSF.

-AT.

10. fantasty

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi. Sorry to tag along on the thread but I just posted the following a few weeks ago in the allo forum but didn't get much response.
    Anyway - just wanted to throw another link in. (saving time by cutting & pasting):

atsai3, you study epi, right? Do you know of anyone trained in social medicine who also does social epidemiology research?

11. atsai3

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I guess that depends what you mean by "social epidemiology research". People use the term "social medicine" fairly loosely AFAIK -- i.e., some who didn't specifically train in one of the social medicine residency programs would still say that they "do" social medicine.

-AT.

12. fantasty

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I should probably clarify. I'm getting an MD/PhD in epidemiology, but my school doesn't have faculty interested in social epidemiology. But, based on epi conferences I've gone to over the years, it seems like social epidemiology is a "hot field". It seems like an interesting area (multi-level analysis, community/neighborhood structure, issues of classism/racism/sexism, etc). But, most of the speakers I heard about are academic epidemiologists - I wasn't sure if there were many physicians who were also conducting this research. On the other hand, I think some of our professors in the nursing school may be approaching this field.

When I decided to go to medical school, I wanted to treat underserved populations. Since I've been here, I've seen a lot of volunteerism within the medical community. And, when I stating in the previous post that many physicians learn how to care for people within the current system "as a matter of circumstance", I meant that, because patients coming to academic medical centers may have important social histories and limited access to care, interested providers may learn how to work the system in order to help their patients. So, with good mentoring, interested trainee physicians can probably find adequate learning experiences in many programs. But, I think it's a different experience to fully immerse yourself in a program that treats social medicine as an intentional (and academic) discipline.

There are probably a lot of academic physicians with MD/MPH's who, if they are doing research, would probably be within the realm of social epi. But I didn't really know about social medicine as an option until recently, so the combination of social medicine practice and social epidemiologic research seemed a bit novel to me. (probably just my lack of exposure, though).

A follow-up question: Are there professional organizations within the US for social medicine? Physicians for Social Responsibility and Physicians for a National Health Program have specific goals, but I don't know of any that broadly address social medicine.

13. Service404

Service404 New Member
    10+ Year Member

What kind of an yearly salary can an inner-city physician expect?

14. Minimal5

Minimal5 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    bump

Does anyone know of any more social medicine tracks and their websites?

Thanks!