social psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakewood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without a senior honors thesis or major research project, how difficult would it be to gain admission to a PhD program in social psych? Assuming there was some RA experience but not necessarily any publications or presentations to show for it. I realize this is not ideal, but I'm unsure of how important it is. Feedback appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Less ideal, but possible. You need to make sure you replace it with a "lot" of RA experience though instead of "some". Pubs are nice, but not absolutely necessary at most schools. I made it into clinical without a Honor's project, but I probably got crossed off quite a few of my schools because I didn't have one - and clinical is generally more competitive than social (albeit they are all so competitive its not by much). So I'm sure its possible - you just need to LOAD up on RA experience.

I'm curious about this as well. I'm considering applying for social psych programs, and by the time I apply, I'll have two years in one lab, a single year in another lab, and two posters, one of which I am the first author of. Is that anything like sufficient research experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question: Are there any accreditations that are important when evaluating a potential PhD program in another country? It seems to me that as long as you are not pursuing licensure, (ie. a social psych PhD) there is no reason to worry about it. Otherwise, as long as it is a recognized university, I would think there is no concern. Is this right?

I'm curious about this as well. I'm considering applying for social psych programs, and by the time I apply, I'll have two years in one lab, a single year in another lab, and two posters, one of which I am the first author of. Is that anything like sufficient research experience?

Sounds competitive to me, so long as everything is packaged well. My friend applied to social with only 1.5 years in a lab and 1 poster on which he was not first, and did well in applications.

Raynee and I were just complaining about how few courses the social people in our programs have to take. We're super jealous.