social science research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate Bonobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was curious if sociology research experience could replace research experience in the sciences?

I am a sociology major and I have the option of doing the honors program at my school, where I will undertake a year long research project and end with a thesis.

It's suppose to be time consuming, so I want to pick and choose wisely as I have a limited number of time for ECs before applying (i came into this pre-med game late in my schooling)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Of course, any research is good. I'm going to personally be doing psychology research for my research.

Research is research. No one cares exactly what your area of focus is. At best it may come up during the interview, so do something you are interested in, that way you can be enthusiastic when asked to discuss it.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student (t-39days)

If you can related it to medicine somehow, that's great (even pretty indirectly... I met a nice guy at one of my interviews who had done geology research but he had an indirect tie in, and it was all the more interesting for being unusual). I did psychology research (with fairly small clinical relevance, although it was a pretty easy sell) and it was considered fine. I imagine if theres something youre interested in working on in sociology it'll be looked on quite positively.