Social work-Air or Army National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndyColtFan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post.

I'm 45 years old and prior (enlisted) Air Force. I was ANG from Aug 2000 until 9/11 and then called to Active for 14 months and then served Title 32 until 2006.

I earned my MSW and I work in a similar field (corrections-case manager). I'm looking at returning to the military (preferably Guard or Reserve). I'd join the Army NG but I would rather go back into the AF as it is my prior service.

I knew that the Air Guard used to have Social Workers (which is considered part of the medical field in both Army and AF) but I haven't seen any listings for them recently.

Does anyone know anything about the training for Social Workers, my eligibility at my age, length of training, or anything of a related nature? I've seen that physicians have commissioned in their 50s and even 60s.

I certainly appreciate any guidance that anyone can give me.

Have a great day and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I work with the reserves and you could come in for the Army reserves. You do have to have your LCSW to be qualified. You would attend Basic Officers Leaders Course for the Army Medical Department (4 weeks for reservists) and the Direct Commission Course (3 weeks for reservists)

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto what Armyhealth has to say. In the Army side, Behavioral Health Officers tend to be LCSWs. They are pretty much the front line of mental health. I don't know anything about age waivers at this point, but most states have plenty of openings.

But you need to have your LCSW (not just the MSW). Any state license will do (not just your state of residence), though that may be a state specific thing.

Reactions: 1 user