1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Socialized Healthcare??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Scooby Doo, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

I had some questions on socialized healthcare. I was trying to figure out if it would be beneficial or not in America. My labmate says that one plan the US has considered would allow people to not have to be put on long lists for care. If we are socialized, will we still have all the same malpractice lawsuits? Where will costs be cut? What services will be lost? What will be the benefit (besides service to all)?

Basically, I just remember the one quote that I think might apply...
    "If you try to please everyone, no one will like you."

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I can't imagine how socialized healthcare would work out! Our system of government is based on a capitalistic system.

Physicians in a socialized healthcare earn about the same as any other profession in countries where it exists.....

If physicians have a huge cut in their salary, then like in a socialized country, we would also expect medical school and college to also be free as well. Since we can't pay 200,000 tuitions if your earning 40,000 a year as a physician...

Also, socialized healtchare, everyone goes on a waitlist, and you can't even sometimes get surgery for a period of 12 weeks! even if you need it!

Socialized medicine is like communism...in theory it sounds good, but in a capitalistic society I personally dont' think makes much sense :D

that is my 2 cent...and I could be wrong on all my assupmtions, since I haven't read up on everything....

Scoobydoo, I thought you left for your interviews already? ;)

4. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

watcha watcha..i should be in michigan interviewing as we type...but alas..my flight did not take off..so i am stuck in Berzerkeley... :(

Next week my flight to SLU and Vandy is supposed to take off on Monday morning at 630am!! That is gonna suck b/c i will have to prolly be at the airport around 230 am :(
    Ah well...it will all work out.

5. don't worry my prayers will be with you :D

I will be with you in spirit ;)

also, are you in that Uof Penn email list? it is really gettting annoying now!!! ARG :mad:

6. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

I thought it was funny...people are so silly sometimes....
    especially that nutty mcpoo dude...haha

7. was that you?

it looked like someon got a fake email account...I doubt that is the email they have given to UofPenn

8. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

It wasn't me..I have no clue who it was! haha

i laughed, I cried...i had a great time...

9. hehe

scooby, you really are a character aren't you?

gosh, it would be fun to go in the same school as you :D

you get the feeling that we digressed from the original topic?

10. Grace

Grace Junior Member

hey scooby...
    well, i go to the same school as him, and you're not missing out on TOO much...just kidding scooby..

11. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

HAHAHAAH...

Ah...Grace...the one and ONLY finally took my advice and came to the forum :)

I have told many many many stories about you.. Look at the Loma Linda threads...or any of my past threads when I mention people who are reapplying.

Glad to see I was in your first post.

Oh, and Grace...you know you wouldn't have one clue of what to do if I wasn't here with you :) :) :)

Watcha...I hope we go to the same school too!
    It would be a blast!! And it is funny how we just totally digressed. I guess no one is really interested in socialized health care!

12. Grace

Grace Junior Member

i hope people listen to me. i am reapplying because i asked for my letter of rec the may before i applied. a prof was out of the country and didn't send in my letter of rec until after thanksgiving, and the schools didn't receive my letters until med december. i kept going with my apps just for the hell of it and had two interviews, which i did for the experience. so get everything done early!

13. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I also agree that a socialized health care system would have as many disadvantages as our present system, which is a managed care system. I feel patients need to be given the same motivations to economize their healthcare needs as they do other consumer needs people do in other markets. As a result, I feel the best system would be one that is an intermediatary of managed care and socialized medicine, like medical savings account programs or a singly payer system.

The benefits of going to a single payer system would be that

1) it would provide everyone with health care, because I feel that health care is a right, not a privilage,

2)Eliminate the financial threat for those who have coverage have, but can't afford the out of pocket expenses,

3) Let patients choose the hospitals and physicians they want to see,

4) AND MAINLY allow physicians and other health care professionals choose the BEST treatment for an individual (because these are the people who are trained to do this, not adminstratores of HMO's), and not be dependent on what the Insurance company or HMO will pay for.

Some disadvantages of this system inlcude the we may not be able to pay for health care to all individuals. But I feel that other countries, such as canada and uk, use less % of their Gross Domestic Product than the u.s. to cover more of their citizens.

Another disadvantage may be that their would be delays in recieving Health care. I DO NOT thing this would be as big of a problem as it has been in other countries because our health equipment is more sophisticated and we have an excess of capacity in health care, for instance I read somewhere that we have more MRI's in Orange County, FL, than Canada has overall.

Another disadvange is that many people would confuse this with Socialized Medicine, which is not true because in Socialized medicine, the government owns the facilities and the employees would be governmental employees, in single payer, it uses existing private and public ownership and employment. The universal pool that all people are put in is funded in a fair manner because everyone pays for their fair share. Our medicare program is similar to this and has been a strong program in the U.S.

The last thing i will talk about is that many will think that quality of health care will go down. I feel that the quality of health care has already gone down because of HMO control, and with more funds and more efficient administrations, a single payer system would raise the quality of health care.

I'm not exactly sure if this is the total solution, and yes every system that is implemented will have faults, but we have to pick one that will be the most advantageous for our country, and we have to look at our standard of living, not other countries. If this is not the way to go, I also agree with medical savings accounts, and other similar programs, just so that EVERYONE recieves adequate health care.

Also, this doesnt' mean that any kind of health care that is not necessary, such as cosmetic or other can't be payed for by the individual, if the individual has the money, they can do any of that stuff.

Any comments on any other health care system that would be good? I'd like to hear about them so i could research them.

14. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oh, sorry, didn't really respond to your questions Scoooby.

I think we would have less malpractice suits because HMO's would not be as involved in patient care, so physicians would be free to do any diagnostic tests in order to make the right decision.

I think the costs will be cut in that it would cut out the third party involved, and the single payer would be the only one dealing with all the money. I'm not exactly sure where else money would be cut, but everywhere I read, it has good reasons, just can't remember them right this moment, and too lazy to go look for it.

I don't think any services would be lost, but I do thing that people may have to wait longer, because that is one of the problems with the uk and canada systems. What canada is that if they can not provide the service, such as a surgery in the time the patient wants, it will pay for you to go to U.S. to do it, but the U.S. fee may be more expensive, so the extra money would have to come out of your pocket, but you would get the surgery done quicker. Canada would pay for how much that procedure would cost in Canada (this was supplied to me by a Med tech Advisor at my school, where he lived in UK until he was 25 and 15 years in Canada, before he moved here 2 years ago).

And the benefits I mentioned in the previous post.

But remember all this is coming from another student (me) with just the same knowledge and resources as you, so you might want to get information from other various sources.

15. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member
    7+ Year Member

Socialized Health care is good on paper and for the sake of argument it sucks. There are 15 MRI machines in the country (with a six month wait. There are 8 in my town of Lincoln, NE (pop. 200,000). If you arguing against socialized health care a stat like this would be worth mentioning.

16. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

Quick clarification...
    By right --> you mean something that everyone should have when they are born??

What about non-tax paying or people who are in the country illegally? Do they have this "right"?
    Or is it a priveledge to only those who pay taxes and are citizens?

17. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thats a good question.

right meaning anyone who is in the country legally, citizens, tax-paying, and non-citizen resident aliens (did i say that right).

I'm not exactly sure what to do with people who are in the country illegally. I think right now, that they do recieve care in the ER, but other than that, dont' know what. Do you know what happens to illegal people in the country as to health care? just wondering.

18. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

I have no clue..that's why I asked :) :) :)

19. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

haha, i'll try to find it somewhere,,but i never trust information i gain from the net, it could be my little brother that put it there...

20. Grace are you scooby's girlfriend? :D

you two sound cute together :D :cool:

ehem any dates planned? ;)

21. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

Grace WISHES she was my girlfriend!
    She is in denial with her current boyfriend...he is not even half the man I am :) hahahah...j/k Grace...

We are good friends...really, really, really, REALLLYYYYYY good friends ;) ;) ;) ;) :p :D :p

22. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

Rohitbest,

So if you have those "requirements" to be given health care...doesn't it in essence become a "PRIVILEDGE" of being a resident who pays taxes???

Splain yourself :)

23. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

There are many people who are non-tax-paying, because they are too poor to pay taxes. And many illegal aliens pay taxes. If you work in this country, it's likely taxes are taken out of your paycheck.

24. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

SMW,

Notice I did not say "AND"...I said "or"...
    How can you have taxes taken out of your paycheck and be here illegaly?
    I am not too familiar on this subject. don't you need a SSN or something to be getting a paycheck?

25. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you're right scooby, if I put the stipulations that they must be all that, its a priviledge. I looked up the definitions and this is what they say:

priviledge: A special right, immunity, or benefit granted to a certain individual or group.

right: a just or legal claim or title, like the right to vote. Even though the vote is a right, it still has stipulations such as being over 18, citizen....

So I don't know where to go from there. Isn't the right to vote just a priviledge then. Maybe I'm just using the wrong words. I don't know, my views are still a little mixed as to what is the best healthcare. Its not an easy decision to make.

26. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

at least i spelled priviledge right this time....

27. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i would argue that the way the healthcare system is currently set up in the country, healthcare is a right, not just a privilege. no one is turned away from receiving treatment in the US, regardless of your citizen status, employment status, etc. this includes exclusive treatment in the ER, where many, if not most, people who do not have health insurance go to receive virtually all of their healthcare. no one is ever forced to show proof of US citizenship or payment of taxes for this--county hospitals even dedicate their service to those unable to pay.

as a result, in this country something that is a special privilege in other countries becomes something that everyone is able to receive.