Socioeconomic Characteristics on Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlance

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of the socioeconomic statistics on students actually admitted to medical school? Specifically parent incomes, attended a private vs. public (city not suburban) highschool or parents education level? Any other factors? I understand AMCAS(?) requests this information when students apply to the MCAT and most likely the medical school themselves have this information.

Members don't see this ad.

The socioeconomic statistics are available in the one of the books offered by the AAMC. It was the one that was put together for minorities. Unfortunately, I donated mine to my undergrad college to help a few of the students applying for this year so I don't have the exact figures.

However, I remember that the median family income for medical school acceptees was $70,000. I also remember that over 60% of acceptees had parents with BA/BS degrees or higher. They didn't offer the information about public vs. private schooling.

I hope that helped. If not, you may want to order the Minority Student Opportunities book from AAMCAS. It costs about $12.50.

[This message has been edited by Sheon (edited 06-27-2000).]