1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

socioeconomically and educationally disadvantaged

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Wandered1982, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Wandered1982

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dear Acdom,
    I am 24 years old and I come from a Middle Eastern country that it is known for discriminating againist minorities. My family and I are victims of a former regime. When my family and I made it in the U.S. in 2002, I started attending school a month after I arrived in this country. My English was below average. I did my best to survive as an undocumented alien and as a student. I have never had a stable job, so I had to drop many courses at several occassions. My GPA is 3.0. I have many W's and 2 F's. I will apply for course forgiveness to remove the F's. Being a doctor is the dream of my life and that of my family. I support 3 members of my family. I live in a city where 200,000 people from my same race and ethinicty live. The majority of them don't speak good English, so it is hard for them to communicate with their doctors. Accordingly, I believe that the community needs more and more doctors who understadn their culture and language. Things have started to easen up a little bit for me. I devouted 90% of my time for studying. No fun or partying. I intend to raise my GPA and rock my MCAT. What are my chances of getting to UCSD. Will UCSD consider the hardship that I went through both in the U.S. and in my country?

I deeply appreciate your reply,
    thanks!!

2. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry, but I think you have to have legal status to attend med school.

3. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OK, more bad news. With F's, there are probably no med schools that will take you. To do so would compromise the health and safety of your future patients, and med schools don't take that risk. They get thousands of applicants with all A's, and that's who they take.

4. sejin8642

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Frankly, If I were a member of adcom, I would reject you with 100% assurance. It looks like you would do anything to get into med schools even though it is not appropriate. Who knows if what you are saying is true or not? Facts that can be proven are only numbers. It would hurt your chances of getting accepted to med schools if you send that execuse letter.

5. sprinkibrio

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't listen to these people... talk to your college advisor. Your situation is different and only they have enough knowledge to tell you what to do.

6. SuperHiro

SuperHiro Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hmm, I think that undocumented alien status is going to hurt you the most. I don't remember exactly, but I think you have to check of your citizenship status on the AMCAs app.

Also, if people with high 3's and decent MCAT scores are having a hard time getting into Cali score, your GPA is not going to give you any sort of boost. Even with your background, it will still be tough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Luckily, Gary is talking out of his a$$, wandered. Plenty of folks with F's on their transcripts get in to medical school. Just be prepared to speak to it at interviews.

Assuming you do have the necessary legal status here, the big stumbling block is going to be your GPA. For a UC, I'd say you should bring it up to a 3.5 minimum. If it requires additional years of college or a postbac, you'll need to do so.

8. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You currently live in a (Californian?) city with 200,000 from your same race, and you were a minority in the Middle Eastern country where you come from :confused: What are you, white? Sorry bud, but because they're some of the most competitive in the country Cali schools are probably out of your range. Don't give up though; if you truly raise your gpa and "rock the MCAT" (which is easier said than done) there are still doors open for you.

9. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    2 F's, many W's, 3.0 GPA, and non-legal status do not bode well for you for UCSD. Is there any reason why you have attend this specific school?

10. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Dear Troll.

Nice try. You might have caught some people, but you failed with me. Maybe it's the triplicate post that you created. Maybe it's the obvious discrepancies in your post, or maybe you didn't follow the proper rules of trolling as dictated here. http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=319656
    Sorry, try again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. sejin8642

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Am I the only one who thinks this thread is really annoying? Have I just been trolled?

12. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i doubt its a troll and i am appalled at how quickly ppl on SDN jump to attack people who haven't been on this website since kindergarten and have lives that are more complicated than getting a post count up on SDN. so posting the same thing three times means you're a troll...hmmm common sense would suggest that it means that you are new to the site and kept hitting submit. also, i would hate to be you guys' patients if you are so quick to attack someone else's dream by saying you won't get in anywhere with an F etc. i've seen stories of ppl on SDN who got in with Fs. also, med school's take family situation and life story into consideration. thus, OP, i say go for it. rock that MCAT. and here's fingers crossed that you'll get in somewhere, it may not be UCSD, but at least maybe it'll be somewhere. and i honestly think the rest of you are trolls for being so quick to cut someone else down.

13. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You're not the only one. There are more of us, just like you.:laugh: :laugh:

I'm not saying he's a troll because he posted made a triplicate post, I'm saying he's a troll because he's [gasp]trolling[/gasp]. Pardon me for not being sensitive enough. We all have life dramas, we just don't go around dangling it.

P.S. Did you not read his post. :D

14. OP
    OP
    Wandered1982

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I apologize for posting the threat many times. I didn't do that intentionally.

15. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    UCSD is the biggest number ***** in California. And in general schools in California are already a bitch to get into.

Its unfortunate, but there are 4 times as many California applicants as there are spots in California schools - the likelyhood of an undocumented alien with a bunch of blemishes on their transcript getting in is slim to none.

You can definitely get INTO medical school if you work hard - but the likelyhood of it being UCSD is minute. I would apply broadly and hope for the best. But if your attitude is it has to be UCSD or nothing, then you're going to be gravely disapointed.

Your MCAT is going to have a huge effect on how successful you are in applying, and you're going to have to work REALLY hard. It is primarily testing your ability to take in tons of new information quickly, and being able to answer questions about that new information. Your below average English (some grammatical errors in your original post lead me to believe you still have problems with English) is going to KILL you on the MCAT. I'm not trying to be negative, but it is going to be a serious uphill battle. A lot of people who have been taking American Standardized tests their whole lives, speaking English their whole lives, and who have achieved A's in most of their prereq courses can still BOMB the MCAT. For you to rock it, you're really going to have to work hard.

I wish you luck, and hope you become a doctor someday. Just remember its going to be tough.

16. OP
    OP
    Wandered1982

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the encouragement. However, I don't appreciate some of the BITCHY replies. Good Luck to everybody.

17. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you still undocumented in terms of your residency status in the US? I know that some schools don't accept international students, so I assume that means illegal immigrants to the US also. I would make sure about this at each school before applying. As an international student (which would probably be the closest situation to yours) you may need to get your GPA up a bit and make sure you rock the MCAT

18. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey notdeadyet - would you like to talk to my a$$? Unfortunately, you would be outsmarted.

19. sejin8642

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You know why people wrote BITCHY replies? Because you look like vindicating yourself with execuses. I know many premed friends who had tragic events that almost killed their GPA. But they never wrote any execuse letter (beside on personal statement) to med schools. An old chinese proverb says "add legs to the snake after you have finished drawing it."

20. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings, Gary, that wasn't my intent. But your claim that with F's you can't get in to med school is just plain wrong.