Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

socioeconomically and educationally disadvantaged

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Wandered1982, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Wandered1982

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dear Acdom,
    I posted this thred in the pre-allopathic forum and I decided to re-post it here hoping that I can get some better help making my decisons.
    I am 24 years old and I come from a Middle Eastern country that it is known for discriminating againist minorities. My family and I are victims of a former regime. When my family and I made it in the U.S. in 2002, I started attending school a month after I arrived in this country. My English was below average. I did my best to survive as an undocumented alien and as a student. I have never had a stable job, so I had to drop many courses at several occassions. My GPA is 3.0. I have many W's and 2 F's. I will apply for course forgiveness to remove the F's. Being a doctor is the dream of my life and that of my family. I support 3 members of my family. I live in a city where 200,000 people from my same race and ethinicty live. The majority of them don't speak good English, so it is hard for them to communicate with their doctors. Accordingly, I believe that the community needs more and more doctors who understadn their culture and language. Things have started to easen up a little bit for me. I devouted 90% of my time for studying. No fun or partying. I intend to raise my GPA and rock my MCAT. What are my chances of getting to UCSD. Will UCSD consider the hardship that I went through both in the U.S. and in my country?

I deeply appreciate your reply,
    thanks!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Taty

Taty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I replied to your post in allo forum. To have a good chance of admission u have to raise your GPA and have decent MCAT scores. I dont think that 2Fs will fly for UCSD, but you can write a letter of intent and try. You have to be a good candidate to get an interview. Maybe at interview you will explain your hardships and it will help you, but hardships alone will get u to nowhere...

From my own experience ADCOMS did not care about my hardships. I am fluent in 4 languages, I am ESL, had people to support,came to US 6 years ago with no language skills, did not have money, payed my tuition myself because worked 50 + hours while in college blah blah blah. Who cares? There are many well qualified candidates out of there, so make yourself well qualified and apply.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!

3. thewendster

thewendster Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    http://meded.ucsd.edu/postbac/app-info.html

UCSD has a post bac, a one to two year program where you can boost your GPA and med school chances. and, lucky for you, they want "educationally or economically disadvantaged or be from an underserved community" students. You will need to have completed your undergrad degree. It sounds like you have another year or two to go.. Most of the UCs have opportunities for disadvantaged students. The min. GPA for acceptance is a 2.7.

Seems like a great way to go for you. Hope this helps.

4. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Your situation is clearly more unique than others, and based on the AMCAS definition of socio-/economically-disadvantaged, it fits the criteria. HOWEVER, there are plenty of other people out there that fit this criteria too.
    All med schools will consider this. To what extent it will help you, nobody knows. However med schools do like people who do well despite challenges, and there are such people out there.

The key issue here is more about the school (school system) of your choice. Your chances are pretty low (like most other CA residents) of getting into any UC med school, let alone a singular UC med school. Based on your present GPA, you may be screened out. UC's screen out GPA's less than 3.0-3.2 depending on which school you apply to. They also screen MCAT scores. Which leads me into the next issue. Many native born, or just english speaking American's of various ethnicities still have issues with the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT. You might want to check that out.

I mean not offense, but you have a lot working against you. W's will not make the med school adcoms feel any better. You will have to address this. Have you done research? Have you volunteered? Have you had any clinical experience? Those are other issues that need to be addressed. Although not required unless you're doing an MD/PhD, about 93% of the students that got into UCSD have done research. For your convenience here are the stats for students accepted in 2005 (MSAR).

Median MCAT: 35 (VR 11, PS 12, BS, 12)
    Overall Median GPA: 3.82
    Science Median GPA: 3.81

You are competing for 121 spots. In terms of other UC med schools, this is pretty un par with them as well...with UCSF and UCLA being even harder to get into. You have a pretty steep hill to climb especially in CA. Certainly not impossible, but I recommend thinking this through before making any hasty decisions. Good luck!

5. ocdmd

ocdmd New Member

You mentioned in your application that you are an undocumented alien. I'm pretty sure that med schools will only accept students who are U.S. citizens or have permenant/student visas. I know that some med schools don't accept (or are at least very reluctant) any type of foreign applicant, even if they do have a visa. They definitely inquire about your citizenship status on the primary application. If you are still undocumented, then this is the most important issue for you to sort out first. I would hate to see you put in all the hard work and then be denied opportunities because of your undocumented alien status.