Sociology B.A / URM F Afr. / 502 MCAT / Service Oriented

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HazelHippie

Reaction score
Hello All! I've been on this forum for a while. I love how helpful everyone is on here. I would like help with building a school list.
Notes : Previously been in combined BA/MD program but withdrew in good standing due to illness. This condition is resolved. Graduated undergrad in 2016.
  1. 3.5C and 3.3S - Sociology B.A
  2. First try MCAT : 502 - C/P (123) CARS (127) B/B (125) P/S (127)
  3. California Resident + Permanent Asylum Status (am allowed to attend school same as Permanent Resident)
  4. East African Female 24 y/o
  5. Non-ivy undergrad institution.
  6. Over 150 hours of direct medical volunteering working with homeless pts as an undergrad med student and post-undergraduate volunteer.
  7. 330 hours Shadowing/physician learning groups during ba/md program
  8. 730 hours non-med volunteering - many self initiated projects to do with global health fundraising, refugee relief, mentorship of urm students, gathering hygiene products for homeless women.
  9. Tutored bio/sciences to middle and high school students.
  10. 2640 hours; Worked at electronic health record company as traveling hospital consultant
  11. A full ride scholarship based on merit to my undergraduate - room, board, tuition, supplemental!
  12. Languages : Swahili, Conversational Mandarin (studied from middle school to college) and Intermediate Spanish
  13. I have been told I have a strong personal statement and an intriguing life story as a refugee who seeks to serve others. I survived cerebral malaria while living in a refugee camp as a child. First woman in my family to attend college. Barely escaped being arranged married right after high school. Parents are working class. Lived in underserved neighborhood all my life till recently. Genuinely interested in global health, rural health, indigenous peoples health and serving where I am most needed.
I'm aware my MCAT score is low. I want to def go through with this cycle tho. If I do not get in - I will def raise it for next cycle.

I have a school list but I don't know where I stand a chance TBH with my MCAT and previous attendance of a med school.

Would love to know where is best for me to apply in general and which schools to take off this list.\

Regional preferences (if I can afford any) - parts of East Coast, Cali, Pacific Northwest.

Would like it to be diverse if possible. Have had a racist experience at a graduate school before that was so bad I decided not to attend :<

Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
University of Minnesota Medical School
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Eastern Virginia Medical School
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
University of California San Francisco
UCLA-David Geffen School of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of California Irvine
University of California San Diego
University of California Riverside
Dartmouth College
Tufts University School of Medicine
PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Kaiser
California University
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
If you are applying this year you need to submit your application in the next week and all your secondaries by early September.

Reactions: 1 user