Sociology Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCStudent999

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know of any schools that require sociology courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools recommend psychology and social science
a few do require some combination of social science courses in some form but that is schools specific
MCAT has both psych and sociology content. Because of this, I consider these courses as effectively required/expected by many schools.
Will schools care about doing soc/psych online at my university (only offered online in the summer and i dont have room during the academic year

I don't think they should care if you do it online unless it is actually required at the school then you should check with them. I took sociology at my school and it was interesting but pretty much useless for the MCAT. There are some sociology terms you need to remember but it's stuff that is super easy to self study (not like chemistry where it's easier to have someone explain it to you). I took AP psych in high school and I definitely refreshed myself on some of those terms for the MCAT, but I didn't take psych in college.

If I were you I would probably take psych online and just not take sociology. No need to waste thousands of dollars for a summer class unless you check the schools you want to go to and they have it listed as required