MPH Sociology undergrad with an interest in the Social/Behavior side of Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a sociology major with an interest in the social/behavior side of public health. I recently changed majors from Kinesiology to Sociology and I want to pursue a Masters Degree in Public Health. My questions are: what jobs/careers in available for MPH graduates with an interest in the social sciences? For graduate school, what type of GPA/GRE score (s) are ideal, and what types of organizations are good for volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sociology major and I think PH is a great field that you can share your experience in soc. I'm currently in the process of applying so I'm at lost at what exactly admissions are looking for so I can't help you pin point that but I can say this: you can take your knowledge and add it to PH and become a PH educator, researcher, or even become a program designer in terms of developing programs and interventions on issues. You can take it anywhere, which is one of the reasons why I love PH so much. Volunteering, if you have read the thread from the 2012 applicants they all had a range of experiences. For GPA/GRE, you might want to check out which schools you would like to apply to first and work off what they require. Every school looks at different things and take into account different internships/jobs/volunteering opportunities. I think everyone on here has taken a look at all 25 pages of the 2012 applicants to see if they match someone based on gpa/gre/experiences, to see if we have a chance too, so I think you should figure out what schools you would like to apply to and then start looking at other people and work from there. Most of my experiences are internships... which took me a while to find internships for public health but look hard they are there!

Sociologist Run This lol