Software for med school question

vikaskoth

BrownWave
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
New Orleans, LA
    Hey, I'm ordering a new computer Tomorrow or Wed, and I was wondering if certain programs like Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint are absolutely necessary for med school. Microsoft office is an expensive option to add these on so I don't wanna unnecessarily spend money on this.

Agent Splat

Viruses? Don't Exist.
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 15, 2004
    The only major American city to have elected 3 Soc
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      vikaskoth said:
      Hey, I'm ordering a new computer Tomorrow or Wed, and I was wondering if certain programs like Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint are absolutely necessary for med school. Microsoft office is an expensive option to add these on so I don't wanna unnecessarily spend money on this.

you can get Academically priced versions of Microsoft Office. Try Newegg.com. It's the exact same program from what I can tell.

tigress

queen of the jungle
      10+ Year Member
      Nov 29, 2004
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        vikaskoth said:

Yeah, you'll want XP Pro and the office pack with PowerPoint and all that. You may be asked to do presentations using PowerPoint, and it's worth it to have it on your own comp. Also, some schools have parts of courses where you can view slideshows on your laptop, like in histology lab for example, so you'll want to be compatible with the school internet, usually requiring XP Pro. My husband had to get a new comp with this stuff when he started med school but it's proved useful.

About the Ads

Dr Turninkoff

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jul 31, 2004
          check to see if your undergrad (or even med) school has a deal worked out with microsoft. my school pays for every student to download xp and office pro if you want it. however, it's not overtly advertised, so check around.

vikaskoth

BrownWave
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Aug 12, 2004
          New Orleans, LA
            Thanks guys, I went to our university computer site and using a link there i was able to build a dell with discounted software and a nice 280 dollar price break, in addition to the deals dell is running now, I'm going to save close to $900 on this system, its gonna be badass

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.