Software for Palm Pilots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chauffeur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be an M1 this fall. I just bought a Handspring Visor Platinum for use as a daily planner and a reference guide.

What software (reference guides: PDR, Harrison's) do you recommend I install, given that I'll be doing a little bit of clinical work, and primarily basic sciences stuff?

Thanks for the advice...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
One that I like a lot is ePocrates, a pharm reference. I use it every day out on rotations. Find it for free at www.epocrates.com

Also, there is another called Medscape. It is based on the Tarascon Pharmacopaeia booklets you can find in your medical bookstore. I don't find it that useful, but I have classmates that prefer it to ePocrates. It is free too at http://www.medscape.com/Home/Topics/multispecialty/directories/dir-MULT.Mobile.html (whew, long name) but it will get you to the download page.

Billie

Even though you'll only be an MS1, I also like ePocrates qID (Infectious Diseases). You can arrange to look things up by drug, by bug, or by location. Makes Micro/Pharm connections a little easier. It's free (like the ePocrates drug program). Go to the site the previous poster listed.

I have a bunch of stuff on my Visor and 2 flash modules. Actually, one module has Merck (4.4MB) all alone. I have the Harrison's Companion, 5 Min. Clinical Consult (and the Peds version), and various and sundry others. But I find I use ePocrates and qID the most....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Good luck on your new adventures!

I'd suggest MedCalc. While you won't need it for patient management anytime soon, it can make some scenarios in biochem and fluids/electrolytes more real -- and a bit easier.

I've so far avoided all the games... but can someone tell me, please, what is the Palm game included with its software bundle, called "Giraffe"???

Giraffe is the Graffiti tutorial. You should play it to test your Graffiti skills. The letters fall from the top of the screen in "Missle Command" style (boy, does that date me or what?) and when you write the letter, it disappears.

There are a few apps that I personally recommend.

1) Launcher III. Puts all of your applications into as many categories as you like which are represented by folder tabs. Much cooler than the orginal app menu. It's free.

2)Diddlebug. An awesome graphical jotting program. If you want to write something down really quickly and don't want to deal with graffiti (want to sketch or something just like a piece of paper) and then set an alarm to remind you of the note minutes or days away. Very cool. It's free.

3)X-Master. A hack organizer. You need it to utilize all of the cool hacks (my handspring makes Star Trek sounds instead of those little clicks and stuff) there are many really cool functionality changes you can make. It's free.

4)Medical Eponyms (you need a doc reader like CSpotRun which is free). 1100+ eponyms, very nice. It's free.

5) Big clock. A very nice clock/alarm clock/calendar etc... program. It's free.

6) There are various medical calculators and converters. Nice and free.

7) I am having fun with PalmEKG. It graphically depicts and describes all kinds of different arrhythmias. Kind of neat. It's free.

There are more but, these are some that no one has mentioned that I think are very nice.

what would be the most practical software applications for an MS1?