Sold myself short and became an RN; still want to go to med school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Axmann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I used to post here a very long time ago as what I really wanted to do was to go to medical school.

Long story short, I wasn't confident enough in myself. Didn't think I was good enough, etc. So instead of doing what I really wanted with my life (go to medical school to become an MD), I got my BSN (finished it with a 3.8 GPA), passed the NCLEX, and I'm working as an RN right now.

But I still have the same longing I've had my entire life: to go to an MD school... I do not want to be a nurse practitioner. No disrespect to the profession of nursing, but the medical aspects and disease processes always interested me more than basic care and therapeutic communication techniques. Critical care and pharmacology were my favorite classes, and I was not engaged in the "nursing management and leadership" type courses. I've never felt like I belong in nursing.

Getting my BSN is good I guess since I have to have a bachelor's for medical school anyway, but how am I going to do this? I've already taken out a lot of loans for nursing school. I don't mind paying off more loans in the future if I have to, but how do I go about the whole thing? Should I get a part-time job or some per diem gig while I'm knocking out my pre-reqs? At what point should I start studying for MCAT, etc?

Also, what are my chances of getting accepted to medical school with a BSN? I know this is a fairly unconventional route to take, but it's really what I want to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the process. But here's something you could try:

First, complete your pre-reqs while doing nursing part-time (or full time if you're up to it)

Second, after completing pre reqs, prepare for and take the MCAT

Third, get involved in some extracurriculars like community service

Having a BSN in itself won't bring you down, but will raise several questions that you must give adequate answers to

Reactions: 1 users
I understand you probably work with a lot of physicians, but I'd recommend shadowing some just to see if it's the career you thought it'd be. it also won't hurt as an extracurricular on your med school applications when you get to that point.

prereqs come first. when you're almost done with those, start studying the MCAT. during this time, more shadowing and volunteer work to demonstrate immersion into the field and service. you'll get enough clinical experience just by being a nurse I imagine. throw in research if you have time; if not, it's not essential and there are plenty of schools which aren't super research intensive (sigh maybe avoid Stanford).

maintain as high of a GPA as possible and try to score high on the MCAT. there are plenty of diy postbacs, but if you want a formal program, look into ones good for career changers if you haven't taken most of the prereqs. good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand you probably work with a lot of physicians, but I'd recommend shadowing some just to see if it's the career you thought it'd be. it also won't hurt as an extracurricular on your med school applications when you get to that point.

prereqs come first. when you're almost done with those, start studying the MCAT. during this time, more shadowing and volunteer work to demonstrate immersion into the field and service. you'll get enough clinical experience just by being a nurse I imagine. throw in research if you have time; if not, it's not essential and there are plenty of schools which aren't super research intensive (sigh maybe avoid Stanford).

maintain as high of a GPA as possible and try to score high on the MCAT. there are plenty of diy postbacs, but if you want a formal program, look into ones good for career changers if you haven't taken most of the prereqs. good luck!

10 acceptances with 10 II's?

Please Enlighten us with the secrets of your interviewing prowess

Reactions: 3 users
10 acceptances with 10 II's?

Please Enlighten us with the secrets of your interviewing prowess

haha I was actually thinking about starting a thread but wasn't sure if people were interested

I practiced -- a lot. went through a lot of forums with sample questions and bullet pointed answers for them all (no memorization or write out, just bullet points). then I talked to myself for hours on end, in the car, while hiking, in mirrors.

did the same thing for MMI questions and just general life questions. I thought through content first and then how to present it. I strongly believe how you say something is just as important as what you say. especially when it comes to difficult questions.

I didn't videotape myself, but the mirror talk helped. I also practiced while wearing formal clothing so I'd feel comfortable in my attire.

invited old friends and new friends out for coffee and put myself in somewhat uncomfortable situations so I could practice. with strangers too. somewhat unconventional, but I really wanted to be able to direct the conversation in a non-aggressive, smooth way.

I kept a running document of each interview and went through them afterwards to analyze what I liked, what I could have done better, and areas I wanted to practice more. I'm decent at estimating how interviewers saw me and what they were looking for, but sometimes I just got lucky -- there were a few interviews I thought I didn't do so great in, but either I misjudged or the interviewers were looking for something I didn't realize, and the result was favorable.

ultimately, I didn't believe in perfection or not messing up at all during interviews. I did mess up, all the time. but understanding how to take ownership of those mistakes and move on proved to be more important.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, in order to get into medical school, the first thing you need to do is prove you can handle medical school. I notice you intentionally left out your college GPA. And while a 3.8 in nursing school is pretty good, that still isn't enough to prove you can handle medical school. So right now, I don't think you can go to medical school from nursing.

Reactions: 1 user
Going BSN --> MD is definitely not unheard of. Do you have a GPA other than the 3.8 from nursing school? Because if you do, how high that GPA is will change the advice given.

In general, regardless of where you're starting from, you need to (1) prove that you're academically capable. Doing a DIY postbac while working part time is probably the best way to go, and give yourself plenty of time to study for the MCAT. (2) Prove that you know what you're getting into. You'll have plenty of clinical exposure, but you should definitely shadow some physicians to really tease out the reason why you want to be one (and maybe shadow some NPs as well, since you'll have to justify why you aren't getting a DNP), preferably physicians in different fields and settings. (3) Prove that you're altruistic. Nursing by itself is a very service-oriented career, but you could put your nursing skills to great use at a free clinic or pursue a different passion while volunteering. (4) Prove that you're intellectually curious. This is typically done through research, but as Gamieg said that's not really necessary unless you go to a research-oriented school. Stress that one reason you want to be a physician is that you want to be more intellectually stimulated, lifelong learner, etc, and you'll likely be good.

Prove those 4 things and you should be good for getting your MD.

Just to add to the great advice you've been given already, expect to be asked why the change. It happens...you just have to have solid backing to explain why you've changed your mind and why now. Shadowing will be crucial. Good luck!

BSN is fine. It's my UG degree and has never been brought up in interviews. Start taking your pre-reqs and kill them. Make sure you start networking now with professors for LORs. Interfolio is great to store them. Might sprinkle a little volunteer work in there. Everyone says to shadow (despite being an RN). I shadowed for ~30 hrs but actually forgot to list it on my apps. It was never mentioned.

My volunteer hours were only ~80. I worked full-time all throughout. Some schools valued this life experience, some didn't. You will be fine. Just do well in your pre-reqs and don't half-*ss MCAT studying. Oh, and apply early.

It wont hurt you if thats the question. Im an RN too

Just have a great answer for why you're switching.

Although I would refrain from telling your coworkers your plans, nurses are very prideful of their careers. Just my 2 cents

Well, in order to get into medical school, the first thing you need to do is prove you can handle medical school. I notice you intentionally left out your college GPA. And while a 3.8 in nursing school is pretty good, that still isn't enough to prove you can handle medical school. So right now, I don't think you can go to medical school from nursing.
I'm confused. My degrees is a BSN. The 3.8 is the cumulative GPA from my entire college history. Before being accepted to the nursing program, the GPA with which applied to the program was a 4.0.

@Axmann You want to know if you should work when you've got loans? What a troll.

I'm confused. My degrees is a BSN. The 3.8 is the cumulative GPA from my entire college history. Before being accepted to the nursing program, the GPA with which applied to the program was a 4.0.
A lot of people do nursing prerequisites at a community college and go to a different school for their RN/BSN. 3.8 is a great GPA. Start working on your prereqs for med school.

Get your prereqs. Do well in them. Study for MCAT. Do well on it. Apply to medical schools. Get some one on one shadowing time with a physician and get a few LORs from some science faculty. Have an answer as to why medicine over nursing. You should be fine.

It wont hurt you if thats the question. Im an RN too

Just have a great answer for why you're switching.

Although I would refrain from telling your coworkers your plans, nurses are very prideful of their careers. Just my 2 cents
I was worried about this and kept my plans under wraps. It can be a vindictive field at times. Once I was accepted however, it felt good to let people know my plans. Surprisingly, I never received any grief over my choice and a lot of people in the field were pretty supportive. It is funny you said that because during the process of taking prereqs and applying I felt as if I was being paranoid at time. I am glad to see someone else had the same though process I did.

haha I was actually thinking about starting a thread but wasn't sure if people were interested

I practiced -- a lot. went through a lot of forums with sample questions and bullet pointed answers for them all (no memorization or write out, just bullet points). then I talked to myself for hours on end, in the car, while hiking, in mirrors.

did the same thing for MMI questions and just general life questions. I thought through content first and then how to present it. I strongly believe how you say something is just as important as what you say. especially when it comes to difficult questions.

I didn't videotape myself, but the mirror talk helped. I also practiced while wearing formal clothing so I'd feel comfortable in my attire.

invited old friends and new friends out for coffee and put myself in somewhat uncomfortable situations so I could practice. with strangers too. somewhat unconventional, but I really wanted to be able to direct the conversation in a non-aggressive, smooth way.

I kept a running document of each interview and went through them afterwards to analyze what I liked, what I could have done better, and areas I wanted to practice more. I'm decent at estimating how interviewers saw me and what they were looking for, but sometimes I just got lucky -- there were a few interviews I thought I didn't do so great in, but either I misjudged or the interviewers were looking for something I didn't realize, and the result was favorable.

ultimately, I didn't believe in perfection or not messing up at all during interviews. I did mess up, all the time. but understanding how to take ownership of those mistakes and move on proved to be more important.

Please do start a thread if you have the time, I think a lot of people would be very interested, myself included

Please do start a thread if you have the time, I think a lot of people would be very interested, myself included

planning on starting one soon and appreciate the encouragement

Reactions: 1 user