Solid DAT and GPA but still rejected...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCRedskinsRule

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start this post by first clarifying that I AM NOT COMPLAINING at all. I have been VERY blessed because I was accepted into my top choice (Houston). The only reason that I am starting this thread is that I read these forums, and there are a lot of posters who claim that with X DAT and Y GPA that you're automatically in at a school. I just want to show that it may not necessarily be that simple.

Again, this is not going to be a pretentious whine of any kind, so please don't ridicule. I'm not complaining, I'm merely confused.

In any case, my DAT scores were
PA-21
AA-22

I also graduated with a 3.92 GPA from a pretty solid school.

When I interviewed at San Antonio, they told and showed us the MATHEMATICAL formula for ranking applicants based on DAT and GPA. Again, not going out on a limb here but I think my calculation must have been pretty high.

So here's the issue. With those numbers, I got a first day acceptance to Houston and Baylor (Texas schools have a different app cycle - we use TMDSAS not AADSAS) but nothing from San Antonio. In fact, I called and found out that I didn't even make the Wait List, and just recently, I got a full rejection letter...

From what I recall, I interviewed basically the same at all three TX schools, and more often than not, the three have very similar admissions requirements. If nothing else, SA is pickier about having higher numbers.

So do you think I could have blown my interview THAT badly? There was also a surprise essay at the end of the interview but it was just about extra-curriculars...it couldn't have hurt me too much right? Again, for the 10908th time, not complaining, just looking for thoughts and hopefully letting others know to make sure they have more than just numbers when applying...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The fact that you were accepted by 2 schools shows that you are indeed well beyond numbers. However, the reason SA didn't accept you will always be a mystery. I think sometimes its better to just let it go, because they never ever give you the true reason. I have been rejected and when I inquired, I only had vague answers. I was frustrated to the point where I thought either this is all fake and they have some sort of politics going on and I am being targeted or I am just hopeless. When I talked to my professors, they were just surprised that I was rejected. A very surprising thing for my family too...and some stressful time for me as well. My DAT wasn't as good as yours, but it certainly wasn't trashy. I too have a 3.9, great EC and I graduated from a decent private school. But I am good now and just thought that there was something good in it and moved on.

Maybe SA found out you were accepted at Hou and Baylor and decided, oh what the heck, let's have some fun.

Maybe you did something during before or after the interview that made one of the committe did not like that at all. and he/she strongly not recommended you for admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of luck involved at times.

2 cycles ago, my friend applied to 10 schools with a 3.6 and 24 on DAT. The competition was less cut throat back then as well.

He was rejected by Case and Nova without even interview offers. It just goes to show how high stats don't always gurantee everthing.

Some schools actually prefer students who are well rounded and demonstrate some willingness to help the underserved maybe to them you did not have those little things they were looking for. Numbers are not the only factors. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe you did something during before or after the interview that made one of the committe did not like that at all. and he/she strongly not recommended you for admission.

This is more of what I was afraid of, I just honestly can't recall doing anything "wrong" or even if I did, I don't know what could've been so drastic. But, now that I think about it, during the interview, the guy (ex Air Force vet so he was REALLY cut throat) was giving me a funny smile and I remember thinking to myself 'is he smiling b/c he agrees or smiling b/c he is making fun of me?'

Must've been the latter. Oh well. :idea:

Some schools believe that ds acceptance is a privilege rather than a right, irrespective of the stats. Baylor and Hou may not care or were oblivious, whereas, SA apparently has a better entitlement detector.

dont worry about it too much. but did u have any shadowing hours or tutoring hours?

Some schools believe that ds acceptance is a privilege rather than a right, irrespective of the stats. Baylor and Hou may not care or were oblivious, whereas, SA apparently has a better entitlement detector.

Apparently it's hard to believe but I swear I didn't walk into the interview saying "OK I'M HERE, WHEN DO I START!" I never, for any reason demonstrated a sense of entitlement... but now thinking about it, it WAS my first interview so I must have made enough mistakes to not seem prepared or something. He did also give me a funny look when he asked me what other schools I was applying to. Haha, oh well.

In answer to Saled's question, I did have shadowing and tutoring experience, but the shadowing was limited to the summers and not throughout the year. That definitely could have hurt me too.

This is more of what I was afraid of, I just honestly can't recall doing anything "wrong" or even if I did, I don't know what could've been so drastic. But, now that I think about it, during the interview, the guy (ex Air Force vet so he was REALLY cut throat) was giving me a funny smile and I remember thinking to myself 'is he smiling b/c he agrees or smiling b/c he is making fun of me?'

Must've been the latter. Oh well. :idea:

:idea: wow. the same guy interviewd me and in the end same smile. and rejection of course. :idea:

:idea: wow. the same guy interviewd me and in the end same smile. and rejection of course. :idea:

!! I'm sorry for you but that honestly makes me feel a lot better because now I know. It was the guy who was kinda bald...head of the international students or something like that...and asked incredibly dry pointed questions...? I'm getting excited here haha.:laugh:

!! I'm sorry for you but that honestly makes me feel a lot better because now I know. It was the guy who was kinda bald...head of the international students or something like that...and asked incredibly dry pointed questions...? I'm getting excited here haha.:laugh:

the guy was kinda bald and tall. He talked a little about his military experience in Air force and then question how I became interested to Dentistry, something like that.... honestly I thought everything was going well. just I remind you my DAT wasn't good as you( TS 20 and AA 19).
in General i think San Antonio has its own regulation for interview and acceptance that is different from Houston and Bayler. even I didn't get interview from Baylor and Houston.
the point is I am still studying for DAT and you are going to start your D1

good luck in Dental school :thumbup: