Solid GPA, Below Average MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keegs13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.97 sGPA: 4.0 (at RIT)

MCAT: 27 (9V 10P 8B)

Major ECs: D3 track & field, physician shadowing, research-esque activity, 2 summer internships (non-medical), lots of non-medical volunteering

Background: White, MA Resident

I applied to schools where my 27 was close, if not inside, to the percentiles on MSAR. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you thought of retaking? With that GPA and what looks like decent ECs, a 30+ MCAT would put you on an entirely different playing field of schools.

Retake ASAP. If you can pull yourself up to a 30 with no SS below a 9, you'll be on really good footing for most MD schools. At this point that may mean waiting until next year to apply, but frankly I would be pumped to have your GPA and EC's and if you get a solid MCAT next take you're golden. In fact, they're so strong you may have a bit of success this cycle, but I would not bank on it.

If you do choose to wait, do some clinical volunteering too. It's vital to your success.

Best of luck

That Bio8 might be a deal breaker for many MD schools; for most of the ones in my MSAR, it puts you into the bottom 10th %ile of the class. I think you're going to have to take this app cycle on the chin. But re-take, get >30, with a minimum 10.10.10 and you you should be fine for the low-tier MD schools.

You're currently fine for any DO program, inclduing mine.

Also, a lack of medical volunteering will get you rejected as easily as an MCAT of 20. You need to know what you're getting into, and show AdComs you like being around sick and injured people, for the next 40 years.

cGPA: 3.97 sGPA: 4.0 (at RIT)

MCAT: 27 (9V 10P 8B)

Major ECs: D3 track & field, physician shadowing, research-esque activity, 2 summer internships (non-medical), lots of non-medical volunteering

Background: White, MA Resident

I applied to schools where my 27 was close, if not inside, to the percentiles on MSAR. What are my chances?