Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Solid MCAT low writing score

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wla, Jul 3, 2002.

1. wla

wla New Member

I got a 36M on my april MCAT. 10v 13b 13p M. My GPA is 3.9 I have a Master's degree and I have only taken the MCAT once. I am trying to figure out what schools I am competitive at, so I can apply to more schools if necessary. Right now I have applied to 3 top tens, 3 top twenties and some state schools. Could others with solid MCATs and low writing samples respond to this (with scores) and let me know where they applied/got in. Further more do any schools disregard the writing sample completely?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DJay

DJay Member

WLA,
    I'm pretty sure M is last thing that they look at! look at all your other record! Impressive!
    How did you prep with MCAT? Kaplan? PR? tutor?

gdluck!

4. wla

wla New Member

I did a Kaplan prep course they were very good, but I also studied a lot independently

5. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

You are good to go. DOn't worry about the writing, it doesn't mean much. --Trek

6. martymcfly

martymcfly P=MD

I heard that the Writing Sample was introduced to the MCAT because there were too many med school graduates who had difficulty communicating in English. From what I understand if it is clear that you are articulate through your essays and interviews, your writing sample score will be more or less overlooked... :D

7. otter

otter Senior Member

LIke others have said, don't worry. I got an M on my writing sample, as well. Not once did it come up in any of my interviews. If your essays are solid, that's all that matters as far as your writing skills are concerned in the eyes of most med schools.