Solid MCAT low writing score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wla

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 36M on my april MCAT. 10v 13b 13p M. My GPA is 3.9 I have a Master's degree and I have only taken the MCAT once. I am trying to figure out what schools I am competitive at, so I can apply to more schools if necessary. Right now I have applied to 3 top tens, 3 top twenties and some state schools. Could others with solid MCATs and low writing samples respond to this (with scores) and let me know where they applied/got in. Further more do any schools disregard the writing sample completely?

Members don't see this ad.

WLA,
I'm pretty sure M is last thing that they look at! look at all your other record! Impressive!
How did you prep with MCAT? Kaplan? PR? tutor?

gdluck!

I did a Kaplan prep course they were very good, but I also studied a lot independently

Members don't see this ad :)
You are good to go. DOn't worry about the writing, it doesn't mean much. --Trek

I heard that the Writing Sample was introduced to the MCAT because there were too many med school graduates who had difficulty communicating in English. From what I understand if it is clear that you are articulate through your essays and interviews, your writing sample score will be more or less overlooked... :D

LIke others have said, don't worry. I got an M on my writing sample, as well. Not once did it come up in any of my interviews. If your essays are solid, that's all that matters as far as your writing skills are concerned in the eyes of most med schools.